DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

trucks trans keeps going into safe mode

6K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  budnate 
#1 ·
I have a 1999 dodge ram 2500. First my truck was jumping from 3rd the 4th and then would be stuck in first gear (safe mode I guess) whenever I shut the truck off then started it back up. I fixed that with the cheap trick of wraping the wire off the alternator in tin foil then wraping it with electric tape. The truck doesnt jump from 3rd to 4th anymore but almost every time now it will go to safe mode anytime I start the truck up and start driving. I have to pull off the road disconnect the battery for a min or so then hook it back up it is getting really anoyying to keep doing this. What do I need to change out or fix to stop this from happening. Now that I have taken the battery termenals off and on so much they are pretty much shot. Can just the terminals be replaced or are they special ones because they have that alternator wire in with the terminal. Could a dodge dealer or someone change them out or would they order the whole new wire harness. Could these worn out terminals be my problem in the first place with it going into safe mode or is the a transmission computer that is most likely bad that I could change out?

#3 ·
That just happened to my 2K Caravan (yes, I KNOW they are different) but it might not hurt you to check this out. Check out the vehicle speed sensors (on my Ram there were 2, one on the tranny and one on the rear diff; I'd change the one on the trans first). AAMCO transmissions wanted $800 :YO: to take the trans apart just to see what was wrong with it. A small trans shop in a town near me charged me $50 to change the speed sensor. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.