DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cooling system issues, How to purge air?

15K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Brianmc 
#1 · (Edited)
It's been awhile since I last visited but never needed because my truck has been great with zero issues.

My truck is a 2006 Ram 1500 2wd with 4.7 L engine. 110,000 miles. Here's my issue, my truck started running a warmer than normal so I say heck the coolant is pass due for changing and the thermostat also. When I went to remove the lower bolt on the thermostat cover it came about 1/4 of the way out and stopped. It would not retigthen either, it felt like it was cross threaded. I tried to work it back and forth and then it just broke off into the alumn. housing. I tried to drill the bolt out, but a few hours later I broke a drill bit off into the bolt so that ended that.

I'm not sure what that housing is called that the plastic thermostat cover mounts to. I not sure where I can get one either.

I bought this truck new and it has never had the thermostat changed so the bolt came cross threaded but that not big deal at this time as I need parts.

#3 ·
Definite Bummer! I would be looking locally for some help. I remember in school. If you broke an easy out off. You need a machine shop with an EDM to remove it. I think it is called a EDM? You may end up having to pull you timing chain cover off to get it removed? Then get a heli coil to repair the thread.
Working on rusted shit has never been my speciality. I usually will use my torch if safe to heat. I dread the situation your in !
You can get a new t/stat housing at the dealer. I have also seen them on Rock Auto. I would really be looking locally for somebody with experience to a get hands on opinion. Hopefully they can get it out without removing the cover. Good Luck.

#4 ·
Thanks, Yep once that drill bit broke off I knew it was over. I think if I can get the cover off I might be able to get the broken bolt out and heli coil it. Problem I have found is the cover is a dealer item and I need this to be up and running by end day monday. Thanks.

#5 ·
If you get it out. Go to Home Depot or Lowes and get some grade 8 bolts. Use some anti seize on them as well.

#6 ·
Got the timing chain cover off and removed the broken bolt and installed heli coil, got everything back together and just can't get the cooling system purged of air.

I took pictures of the belt before I removed and have confirmed serveral times that I have the belt for the water pump routed correctly. Confirmed also with service manul for truck.

Top radiator hose is hot and lower hose going to the thermostat is cool and also the radiator cap is cool. I also confirmed with service for proper install of the thermostat.

What's the trick to getting this cooling system purged and working?? Thanks.

#8 ·
Sorry guy's I just need this truck running. Once the truck is up to temp shouldn't I be able to remove the rad cap and see coolant flowing through the rad if the thermostat is opening? I got nothing. New thermostat also.

#9 ·
Did you remember to open and run the heater while you check the system?

#13 ·
OK ... second question ...

Did you make sure the bleeder hole on the t-stat was at the 12-o'clock?

#10 ·
You might have gotten a bad thermostat. I think on the 4.7s theres a plug you can take out on the motor where the upper hose goes in to bleed the system. Pull this and let it reun for a bit see if it helps. If not you might have to replace the thermostat again,

#11 ·
How long are you running the motor? It can take a little while to get the thermostat to crack open.

#12 ·
When I have to purge air from my hemi I uncap the radiator, start the truck, turn on the heater, and give it about 15 minutes. It has to reach closed loop before it even engages the t-stat, so you've got to get it up to operating temperature before it can even begin to purge air.

Another added tip is to tilt the truck on a slant so that the front is nose up. Be sure to set the parking brake.

#14 ·
On the last engine I rebuilt ( 355 chevy ) I drilled a super small hole in the thermostat before I installed it, and so ran the truck for a while with the rad cap off with the heater on. Drilling the small hole in the t-stat let's the air pockets get around the closed t-stat and escape threw the open rad cap

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.