DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Transgo shift kit for 09 Ram

13K views 41 replies 13 participants last post by  justinsweber 
#1 ·
Anyone running a transgo shift kit in the 09 1500? I havent seen any application for the 09 but the trans hasn't changed for some time. I'm wondering if the computer will all but "undo" any changes the kit will make on performance. Any info would be appreciated.

#3 ·
MGH, do yo know the part # of the kit you used? The application guide only goes to 07. I already have the pressure line booster installed.

#9 ·
The line pressure booster is a plug and play adapter that allows the TCM to increase line pressure in the transmission. The increased line pressure allows for the a tighter grip on the clutches. This will give you a slightly firmer shift and decrease potential slippage with the increased power output from the engine due to modifications.

#10 ·
How much is this shift kit and line cost??

#11 ·
Also.. about how much hp?? or reduction of 1/4 would it be with this mod?

#12 ·
Spoke with Transgo today. The kit can be bought from Summit for about $60. Part # is 545rfe-hd2. It's the reprogramming kit. The guy I spoke with said it will firm up shifts, but don't expect miracles. Basically the adaptive capability of the TCM will want to try and soften the shifts up on its own. The kit will prohibit that form happening completely. This kit comes with a line pressure booster as well for an increase of 30 psi in line pressure. He said some truck were throwing codes with it installed. The Sonnax one I have he said will be fine cause it only raises pressure 15psi. I thinks when Im ready to change my fluid, I will give this kit a try.

#13 ·
Just got the kit from summit and my ATF from Amsoil. I'm hoping to get this kit installed this weekend and do a filter change and fluid flush with the Amsoil ATF. While under there, going to replace transfer case fluid, and do the Diff fluids as well. I'll keep everyone posted on the results!

#14 ·
Well after a messy couple of hours I got the Transgo kit installed and flushed the trans and installed Amsoil ATF. Took it for a test drive and I can say that it shifts a bit better. Not a miraculous change, but shifts are firmer and quicker. I'll have to drive it a while more, especially on the highway to see if it was worth the money and time spent. At least I was able to put new filters in and a good quality synthetic ATF. I'll keep you guys posted as to the performance change.

#16 ·
Just an update. As most of you know, the Dodge has an adaptive feature to its shifting based on your driving style. Well after driving the truck "hard" on the highway for about 10 miles, This thing shifts like a son of a bitch!!! Got off the highway and it act slike a totally different truck. I would love to check out my 0-60 with it shifting this good. You hammer the throttle and it flys! Love the transgo kit/sonnax combo. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

I think now I will have to upgrade my Torque converter to really take full advantage of the power. I've been looking at the Circle D billet converter. I think a slightly higher stall speed would launch this truck like crazy. WIth that I'll also need a Posi rear to make her hook up. $$$$$$$$$$

#18 ·
So the kit comes with a line booster? But it's a 30psi one and the Sonnex is 15psi?

Did you keep your Sonnex one in or swap out the one that came with the kit?

#19 ·
The kit doesn't come with a pressure booster. When I originally spoke with Transgo I was told it did,but when I got the kit it wasnt in there. Regardless I was told the one Transgo has wasnt working with the kit. I bought the Sonnax before I had the kit anyway. I think the sonnax was around $50 or so. Im very happy with the combo.

As far a write up. I didnt snap any photos. The instruction with the kit have clear pix and directions of the valve body. The only other thing you may need is torque specs on the reinstallation of the valve body and pan. I got my specs from my shop manual. The install is pretty straight forward, just be prepared to get dirty and full of fluid, if you are lying on your back under the truck. Wish I had a shop to work in.

#20 ·
Yea, I bought the Sonnex a few months back and have been happy with it too... but it's always nice to get more. May look into doing this mod too.

#24 ·
The reprogramming kit consists of actuator springs and seals. Thats pretty much all you are replacing. In order to do this, you have to drop the pan "very messy" take off the valve body, remove actuator plate, change springs and seals, reinstall plate, valve body, pan and refill with fluid.

As far as five minutes? It took me about 3 hours and Im fairly seasoned. By the time you drain, disassemble, clean the pan, clean the old gasket material, reapply silicone, bolt up, and let dry one hour before refill, it takes a few hours.

But overall worth it.

Oh and the line booster is simple. Disconnect harness from sensor in top of trans, and place booster between harness and sensor. Plug and play. That takes less than 5 minutes.

#25 ·
Ok that's more in depth thank you this will be my next mod i just want to figure it all out first and have you been able to see any actual numbers increase after this like have gone to the track since or anything?

#26 ·
sonnax?

where did you get the sonnax boost pump from and do you know the part number??

#27 ·
#28 ·
alright thanks bro

#30 ·
Even better lol thanks bro

#33 ·
Damn thats allota $$ for a $.99 225ohm resistor and connectors.

#35 ·
i read in another post that the LX guys had a better line pressure booster with selectable ranges/resistance. Anybody try this on their ram?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.