DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hellwig rear sway bar installed...shoulda done this a long time ago!

3K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  opposite locker 
#1 ·
Purchased a Hellwig 7561 rear sway bar for my '08 1500 a few weeks ago, and finally got around to installing it. Install took almost 3 hrs, but that's because I kept running inside to check on football. If I were to do it again, pretty sure I could get it done in an hour. As mentioned in the following link (which was a great help for the install), the hardest part was lowering & raising the spare. Everything bolted right up and only the right rear brake line had to be slightly moved.

http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=340369

Results are fantastic! I notice absolutely zero degradation in ride (even on bumpy paved country roads) and the only time I've noticed it's there (other than in turns) is when going over railroad tracks or speed bumps diagonally. I really expected the ride to get worse, which is why it took so long to try :ugh

Handling is GREATLY improved, not so much in ultimate grip but in balance. Though the front suspension rolls as much as ever, the nose tucks a lot better and the greater rear roll stiffness causes the truck to actually pivot without having to use throttle lift or trail braking. I took the truck for a run up Hwy 132 and was pleasantly surprised how much faster I was able to comfortably take turns, even under full throttle.

As long as your truck is not a rock crawler / trail rig and you understand vehicle dynamics & basic car control, I highly recommend getting a rear sway bar!

See less See more
#4 ·
Makes a truck drive like a car pretty much. Like he says, if you use 4x4, don't get it. It's then you have taken your car off road! :)

I've heard it's about the same as putting 100lbs in your bed. If you've ever driven with weight in your bed and noticed how much better the ride is. It's almost that feeling.

#5 ·
Post #4
Makes a truck drive like a car pretty much. Like he says, if you use 4x4, don't get it. It's then you have taken your car off road!

I've heard it's about the same as putting 100lbs in your bed. If you've ever driven with weight in your bed and noticed how much better the ride is. It's almost that feeling.

Not at all what I said. The only time the sway bar will get in the way is when you need more wheel articulation, like on slow trails or for rock crawling. It actually makes for better traction off road with my peg leg diff...less weight transfer causes less inside wheelspin. Even with my work around the orchards (often in 4x4), I have yet to find a downside of the rear sway bar. And no, it does not make your truck feel like there's weight in the bed. The ride did not improve at all, but it also didn't get any worse.

#6 ·
I would have bet the ride would have stiffened up a bit at least. Maybe the lowering shackles put less of a preload on the bar. Sounds like you outta know your ride though.:D What was your cost? Install sounds easy enough. And why did you decide to install it at all? Just curious.

#8 ·
Sway bars only hurt ride in side-to-side bumps, like driving diagonally over a speed bump or when only one rear wheel hits a larger bump. I also expected some ride degradation because of this, but haven't noticed any negative effect. Not sure if the lowering shackles affect it, but I was worried about spare tire clearance with the small drop. Zero issues there as well.

Cost was just under $200 shipped, but that was a closeout price and they generally go for about $225 shipped. Reason I installed it:

http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=365593

Def one of my favorite mods thus far

#10 ·
Pics?

#12 ·
One of the best mods out there......... I'm ridin' with a Hellwig!

#13 ·
Haven't had a chance to really try and drift it around yet, but it is definitely easier to bring the tail out under deceleration. I imagine the peg leg will still be an issue to keep the tail out, but that will be remedied in a couplet months.

Didn't post pics because it pretty much looks identical to the pics in the linked post above. Only differences are that my sway bar is flipped 180 degrees (diff hump pointed slightly down) and the sway bar mounts point downward a little more due to the slightly lowered suspension.

Plan on taking the truck for a hard run through the hills this weekend...

#14 ·
It's been a while, but finally took it for a good hard run (Hwy 120 thru Yosemite). Definitely handles a lot better, though I would prefer some more front roll stiffness. Still understeers if pushed too hard or on throttle too early, but that is pretty easily remedied with a hard lift of some brake application. Did scare myself around one decreasing radius turn that I entered a bit too hot...had to press a little harder on the brakes mid corner than I would've liked, and the tail just let go. Was able to catch it and though I lost plenty of momentum, it probably looked pretty cool from the outside.

Definitely a very worthwhile mod if you've got a decent grasp of car control, but would not recommend it for more inexperienced drivers or those that let their wives/kids drive a lot. Truck will handle fine 99.9% of the time, but I could see the tail coming around in one of those "emergency avoidance maneuvers"

#16 ·
Dont anticipate any problems, but will post if anything comes up. Already got a few thousand miles with the rear sway bar, and haven't noticed any negative effects

#17 ·
The sway bar mod is on my top 3 of mods I need/want to do. If I had the extra cash it would have been done by now. My extra cash is now going to the wife's Jeep, it needs new wheel hubs. Besides she always comes first.

#18 ·
Money well spent...I'm sure you'll agree when you get one

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.