DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Considering selling the Hemi and getting a CTD, need opinions!

5K views 45 replies 22 participants last post by  iwin 
#1 ·
I have a 05 2500 QC Hemi with 125,000 mile on the the clock. I drive this as my daily driver and have a 60 mile around trip highway commute daily. I also use it to haul firewood and pull a small trailer. I am getting 12.5 MPG Hwy consistanly hand calculated. I only have 12 payments left on this truck but have considered trading it towards a diesel. I dont need a diesel but do need a truck and the room for my kids as well. Just thinking the mileage will more than make up the difference. Our Powerstrokes at work kill my truck in MPG's and it drives me nuts. Any opinions or comments appreciated.

#2 ·
The cash you save in fuel will not come near to making up for the new car payment. You said it yourself, you dont need one and you are 12 payments away from being free. Sounds like an easy choice to me, a simple case of the "wants".

#3 ·
Also will you want to pay the extra maintenance costs and pay more at fill up (even though it evens out because you'll be going farther per tank). I would love to have a CTD myself but I've realized that I just don't need it. Also 12.5 MPG on the highway means you have some issue with the truck you need to clean up. I get 17-18 on my highway journeys and I'm lifted.

#5 ·
Your also I dont know a 2WD and a 1500. Yeah you will get better mileage them this guy. Wow.

#4 ·
A new diesel won't get much better than 12-15 stock usually

#12 ·
Your way off there. Mine when stock got around 20, but I agree with most. If it's almost paid for keep it.

#6 ·
I'm also lifted and on off road tires. I realized he has a 2500 and 4x4 but his MPG should still be around 15-16 if it's all stock. 12.5 is towing MPG for most of these trucks. He needs a tune up regardless.

#17 ·
I can assure you my truck is getting nowhere near 15-16 I "might" see those numbers on the highway at 55mph but for an average MPG not even close. 12MPG towing? Towing what a wheelbarrow full of empty peanut shells. My truck will get 8-9 pulling my camper. Dont forget you have a 2wd 1500 that has MDS the 2500 does not have that. Fuel milage on a 3/4 ton gas 4x4 is horrid. With all this said the gas motor was fine for my needs.

#9 ·
comp 260 cam,hemifever tune,shorty headers,87mm tb gtg....

#10 ·
5 to 6 years of payments monthly or new upgrades plus the best tune-up money can buy for your current truck. I vote to keep your current truck with these options.

#14 ·
If you need a ctd get it, if want a ctd get it, you wont be disappointed ,but if your using it noncommercial ie'' lots of miles every day'' you will not be saving any money. I have seen mpg as hi as 21 with no load at 65mph with the ctd. I would see what is going on with that hemi first and go from there.

#19 ·
The 1500 deisels come late 2013/14.

#24 ·
my truck says i get 10.2 with a small lift and 35's but in reality im around 12 with superchips and a CAI.

#25 ·
On my previous 04 1500 and this current truck both overhead readouts were generous when Id hand calculate. They read about a half mile per gallon high. I'd say 12 with 35's and a lift is doing very well.

#26 ·
mine's pretty dang close at 10.5mpg average all around. i have a very heavy foot and painfully tall gears
surprisingly, towing on the hwy i get 9-11mpg depending on the load (even with 14klbs behind it i got 9 ish)

#27 ·
You have a cam in there too that's can swing MPG alot. What gear you running? I read some here posting better fuel economy with 4.56's and thus far im not buyin it tho that was not my reason for doing them anyway towing was my main reason to ditch the 3.73 it had as going with a taller tire would have made life hard on the drivetrain with that gear.

#29 ·
the cam didn't have too much effect
cruising, i'm a little better (maybe .5mpg)
but when i stomp it....... the truck actually starts pulling in the direction of the nearest gas station

i'd LOVE a set of 4.56's, but the days of putting money, aside from maintenance, in my truck are long gone

#31 ·
I get 10 to 11mpg on average. Half city half highway with my mods and a heavy foot some of the time.

#34 ·
Thats bad...I got more than 15mpg towing.....sounds like a tune up is in order!!

#39 ·
I can only go off of my present and prior Rams both quad cab 4x4 shortbeds with Hemi's. My prior 04 1/2 ton never saw 13MPG AVERAGE on my trips to and from work. I drive 14 miles each way about 10 miles on the highway 4 miles city. Best I ever saw was 12.8 hand calculated driving 55mph and trying like hell. Obviously if I drove 30 miles each way to work with 28 miles being highway i'd do a lil better average. I can add an additional 900lbs curb weight with my current 3/4 ton truck and common sense would dictate i'm not gonna match the already suffering numbers my 1/2 ton managed. I changed the plugs and wires on my 1/2 ton when it hit 90K and saw zero mpg from it.

#41 ·
Towing a 6x12 U-haul....loaded....PCS

#42 ·
I think you will have no issues running 35's with a body lift, it'll look good!

What were we talking about then?

#43 ·
I always lol when the words gas mileage an hemi are in the same sentence. As for mpg in my base model 1500 w/ hemi the best ive seen was 18mpg with about 85hwy/15cty before i did 4.56s an this is a 2dr 2wd base model, I may need more than a tune up tho:ugh

#44 ·
Ok I just finished a 140 mille trip into PA Shawnee mountain. With my 34's , 4.56 gears, 5 people in the truck and the bed loaded with coolers,suitcases,sno boards,etc I averaged on the highway just over 15 on flat ground and that dropped a mile per gallon to just over 14 in the hilly areas.. This was all according to my overhead readout I did not hand calculate I reset it just before I left my house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.