DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2013 Ram oil change

49K views 40 replies 16 participants last post by  aepowell 
#1 ·
Does the 2013 ram's notify you when a oil change is due? I'm almost at 4,000 miles and haven't had a oil change yet.

#4 ·
First couple oil changes you should try to get done around the 5k mark. After that you could go as far as 12000km before oil change required. Says owners manual

#8 ·
Page 170.

Note: under no circumstances should oil change intervals exceed 10000 miles or 16000 km or twelve months, which ever comes first :)

#7 ·
With synthetic I ignore the EVIC and go the full 8K miles allowed by the warranty.

#10 ·
My dealership said if I didn't change my oil every 3000 miles or 3 months my warranty would be void. I knew the guy was lying because the dash had the oil life monitor and the manual says to not exceed 10,000 miles or 1 year between changes.

#11 ·
It's truly sad how some keep trying to take advantage of people. I'd look him straight in the face and ask him to write that statement down and sign his name to it, you know, for "legal" reasons in case you needed to use the warranty. I wonder what story he'd come up with to get out of that. They wonder why dealership salesman get such a bad rep.

#12 ·
Having him give me a written statement would have been a good idea. I'll have to remember that for next time. I think he said it because he was really pushing a lifetime oil change plan and I had told him I would be doing my own maintenance because we are only planning on putting 3-4k miles per year on the truck so it's oil isn't going to be changed more than once per year most likely.

#15 ·
Thanks srtdodge

This engine oil change thread in itself has caused me to finally register & participate once in awhile !!
I know 2 things, There's a lot of good info being shared on this site & a Whole Bunch of Great Look'n Trucks. [as far as the pictures that showed on site, maybe I'll be able to open the attached pics now]]

We have a 2011 Ram Big Horn 1500 4X4 Cherry Red Metallic..

We definitely don't put as many miles on the Ram as a lot of you guys do..
Maybe 2,500 miles per year.. Mostly just general use.
Love this Truck !

So since my 2 years of FREE oil changes are over with.
I'm going to start using K&N HP-2001 oil filter & Pennzoil Platinum Syn. 5w20
So far from what I've gathered on this Forum, I can go 8 to 12 months before changing the oil & filter..

I've enjoyed reading this forum, maybe I can Help 1 of you guys down the road ! :rck:

#16 ·
Hello I'm driving a 2013 Ram 1500 Crew Sport 4WD with all the bells and whistles. My question is how doi I reset the oil percentage display. I already reset it twice by pessing the throttle 3 times with in 10 seconds but it won't change the display. I also changed the oil at 5300kms before the light came on. Does anyone have an answer to this question. The owners manual doesn't tell you how to reset the oil percentage display. Thanks

#17 ·
Inspiration23,

It sounds like you are doing the right procedure. However you may want to double check as the steps to resetting the Engine Oil Change Indicator are located on page 312 of the Owner's Manual. Is your vehicle equipped with the Keyless Enter-N-Go?

For vehicle's equipped with Keyless Enter-N-Go
1. Without pressing the brake pedal, press the ENGINE START/STOP button and cycle the ignition to the ON/RUN position (Do not start the engine.)
2. Fully depress the accelerator pedal, slowly, three times within 10 seconds.
3. Without pressing the brake pedal, press the ENGINE START/STOP button once to return the ignition to the OFF/LOCK position.

For vehicles not equipped with Keyless Enter-N-Go
1. Turn the ignition switch to the ON/RUN position (Do not start the engine.)
2. Fully depress the accelerator pedal, slowly, three times within 10 seconds.
3. Turn the ignition switch to the OFF/LOCK position.

Please note, if the indicator message illuminates when you start the vehicle, the oil change indicator system did not reset. If necessary, repeat this procedure.

I hope this helps. Please PM me if you have any questions.

#18 ·
Yes it has Keyless Entry and Go and I'll give it a try and see what happens. I should point out that when I reset it twice after the oil change that it shows when it was last reset in the display. I don't remember seeing the light come on when I started it. Its showing 50% oil life and there only 1500kms on the new oil and its Castrol Edge 5W20 so that makes me think it wasn't reset. Thanks for your help. You can email me direct at anthony7@bell.blackberry.net

#19 ·
I chance mind at the dealership ever 3-4K depending on where I'm at, the dealer I got my truck from dose my oil changes for $13.00 & for that price I'm good with not holding out. Once they change the price on me then I'll start doing them myself..

#22 ·
Just order the bezels for the tow hooks, they are like $20. I got them for my '14. I cut the plastic when I did my '12, didn't want to go thru that again. And the "old" style had lines that were like a template to follow.

#23 ·
Do you have a link for the bezels?

#26 ·
Sorry, didn't take any photos. I just used my dremel with a small cutting disk, makes a little bit of a mess 'cuz the plastic gets hot. Mine is a Laramie so the bezels are a little different but I just called my local dealership and had the parts guy look it up.

#27 ·
Hey thanks mine is a Crew 4WD loaded with all options including the air suspension. Deep Cherry Red it also has leather,sunroof,8 speed and Nav. Some guy on here told to do a search but turned up nothing. Wondering do you know someone that has photos of a 13 Sport that done this. Really would like to have them please. You have a beautiful truck and congrad to Ram again for Motor Trend Truck Of The Year back to back win. Drop me a line if you find anything. Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.