Votes: 50 11.1%
  • Cheese packed muffler

Votes: 23 5.1%
Status
Not open for further replies.

Which Muffler is best???

93K views 381 replies 138 participants last post by  henryhemi 
#1 ·
I want a low tone, low drone nice grumble.....I also think I'm just gonna do a direct replacement of the stock muffler, no duals, no bigger pipe just straight swap and leave the resonator on. Which exhaust should I go with?

I could always load my mufflers with some cheese though...I hear cheddar give off a great sound

#339 ·
Through experience I tend to look at mufflers like I do women... The louder they are, the better they perform... :p

You should aim to pick up a high flow, flow through muffler... one you can pick up and look all the way through it from end to end. Magnaflow has proven day in and day out that their muffler designs are the best.

Keep us posted...

SPEED SAFE, NICK

#344 ·
Do you have a modified Y-pipe yet? Are you planning on headers? I would do those things first, if you intend to. No muffler sounds very raw and raspy to me, but some people like it.

#345 ·
I loved the sound of my Flowmaster super 40 true dual system on one of my previous chevy's, also like the magnaflow I had on a couple fords. Still up in the air about which way to go with this one. Leaning towards the flowmaster

#347 ·
So you're saying the stock junk will outflow a 2 chamber flowmaster? I could maybe see that with a 3 chamber, but have a hard time believing it with a 2 chamber. I could be wrong though.....

#348 ·
Dunno about these trucks and Flowmasters but I had couple techs with hot rods,440 automatic Challenger, Duster with built 360,automatic that both turn FASTER times with mufflers(Flowmasters) hooked up then straight through the open headers.

#349 ·
I just installed the Magnaflow Y-Pipe and AT3030XL. Kept the cats and resonators. For me, it's perfect. Sounds awesome and throaty when you start it up and sounds mean during low RPM city driving under 2K. Once you get over 2K on the interstate it mellows out and has zero drone. When MDS kicks in it's really nice and quiet. Punch it and it roars to life.

#350 ·
maggy 14"

Like most I was very up in the air on which muffler to go with, so many to choose. Have 09 sport with hemi, wanted it to sound like it should. Went with magnaflow 14", was worried at first going that small I would be that guy that the neighbors hated. Was really concerned with having drone. Have had it on for 2 weeks and loving it, very mellow around town but sounds amazing at WOT. Took first highway trip this last weekend, anywhere between 65 and 80 speed wise, no drone what so ever. Had mother in truck with me and could have conversation no problem at all. Have read complaints about sounding bad in gas saver mode but haven't noticed anything like that with mine. Left resonaters on so not sure if thats where they are having that issue.

#351 ·
Have had my mufflex 14 for two years. Still love it.

#352 ·
So which muffler is best? Looking at a Magnaflow 14 inch, but wondering between the SI/DO or the DI/DO. Performance wise which is best?

#353 ·
Magnaflow

I have a 4.7 magnum with single 3 inch magnaflow it sounds great is a loud deep roar then dies down to a nice soft rumble aroun 50 mph also gives it a nice little rumble wile idling however not to loud you are still able to talk to you buddy with out having to scream and a in all 70 bucks go the muffler and install and all the pipe ended in a total of 105 bucks not to bad when you hear it:rck:

#355 ·
Any 4th gens running Spintech?
Debating on switching from die hard Aero turbine fan to something different

#356 ·
Has anyone seen the latest issue of Truckin Magazine? In it the have a Dodge article with a muffler swap and use the latest offering from Flo Pro. It is HUGE! Looks to be the same size but I would think it would be perfect for someone who is looking for a relatively quiet muffler?

#357 ·
I have had Borla, a couple magnaflows, a 40 series flowmaster, and a super 44 flowmaster. I loved the borla but it was just to quiet, just above stock. I have a 14''inch magnaflow now and it sounds great as usual. The guys are right about flowmaster though, great sound, but not the best for performance. Just ask Matt at Moe's performance and he will be completely honest with you, he will only sale products that work on his site, you will never see a flowmaster muffler, or exhaust anywhere on his site. Baffles are a restriction, and the point of us installing performance mufflers and exhausts is to get rid of all the restictions that were installed by the manufractures. Hope this helps?

#360 ·
Not sure where this stands with other mufflers but if you look on FloPro's website it says the stock OEM muffler flows 940 CFM? Is that right? Wouldn't that be way ahead of most other mufflers?

#362 ·
Nope, but they do make diesel exhaust as well. They were famous for their Big Oval series of mufflers. Click on What's New and scroll down to the Hemi muffler and it gives a brief description about comparing theirs with OEM. In the latest Truckin Magazine they show an install of the very same muffler and it looks to be as big as the OEM but with better flow and sound.

#364 ·
I just had the Magnaflow y-pipe installed today. I can't tell if that was a good idea or not. Yes, it frees up restricted air flow that the factory y-pipe caused, especially at high RPMs. HOWEVER, since I have a Flowmaster Super 44 muffler, I lost a lot of back pressure, and I can now feel a dragging feeling while accelerating off the line and at lower RPMs (and this is with an intake, machined throttle body, headers, and tuner). Yes, I enjoyed the loud ass sound the Flowmaster offered (still does), but the performance has decreased. I may have to find a muffler to gain some back pressure again. NEVER SATISFIED!!!

#365 ·
I had my y pipe rerouted to avoid being under the trans. It does seem to keep the trans a little cooler. I'm not sure how much but after about 10k miles I wouldn't go back to stock. If you do what you say and adjust the muffler you may be a little happier. just remember that it's not magic and your truck will need some times to readjust :rck:

#366 ·
So what do you guys think is a good muffler that won't hurt low end performance and give a nice sound? I typically prefer the Magnaflow sound over Flowmaster. My Uncle has a Borla system on his 05 and I love the way it sounds.

#367 ·
Well guys I finally got my Magnaflow #12288 SI/DO Muffler put on my 2011Ram 4x4 today!
What a difference nice & mellow sound!
I've had a few Magnaflows on other cars & trucks before, so I was feeling pretty safe putting this on !

Thanks to the Fella who had the YouTube with 12288 on his tailgate, just made me want to get it even more.

Combination of K&N air filter replacement & Magnaflow works very well together.

For what I was wanting in sound & performance this Magnaflow is PuuuuuuuRFECT !!

:gr_patrio

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.