DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Instrument Cluster Not Working

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  98NeonR/T2.0 
#1 ·
:help: I HAVE A 1995 DODGE NEON SOHC AND MY INTRUMENT CLUSTER IS NOT WORKING.WHEN I START THE CAR THE TEMPERATURE GAUGE GOES ALL THE WAY UP TO HOT AND THE TACHOMETER IT'S NOT WORKING,SOMETIMES IT MOVES.DOES ANYBODY KNOW WHAT COULD BE CAUSING THIS? :help:

#2 ·
BE CHECKING YOUR ALTERNATOR BELT MAN. My 98's guages quit on me and sometimes the speedometer would be sayin like 85 and I was doing 2. To make a long story short, I broke my alt belt on a down shift,raceing some punk. I won! But it didn't take long for me to figure out what my guage prob's were.I drove her home on the battery ( what a damn fine battery it is too) and the weaker the battery got the more my guages went nutz.I made it home some 25 miles later only to have it die as I pulled in the driveway....I put on a new belt and have had no prob since.......

Some do have "cold" solder joints.There is a how-to on what to look for and how to fix it yourself im not sure where its at but I have seen one......GOOD LUCK!

#3 ·
Thank you for the advice.I will check the belt maybe that is the problem like you said.

#4 ·
The connectors into the instrument cluster are kind hokey. They don't snap/lock into place, so they move around a lot. Could be coming disconnected or otherwise losing the normal connection. There are also problems with the solder points on the cluster side, but that tends to be the speedo. On the 1st gens, the J2 (right side) conector comes in at a particularly bad angle. My '95 has issues with the speedo wire getting a bit over extended (not a problem now, dash removed...)

Best of luck!

#5 ·
Clusters in 1st gen neons are infamous for going bad. I've had to replace mine. I think I paid about $30 at a bone yard with a guarantee it would work when I got home.

#6 ·
In my 98 R/T Neon once in a while I'll drive down the road and all my gauges will shut off. All I do is give my dash a good tap on the left side of the instrument panel and boom! Your gauges are working.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.