DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Any others interested in Dodge semi trucks?

6K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Ruppster 
#1 ·
I see a lot of traffic from people about older Dodge trucks on this site so I thought I would ask. I've been in to old Dodge 4X4's for about 15 years but the last few years I've really been after the heavy duty commercial Dodge trucks. I just scanned some 60's and 70's Dodge brochures on the medium and heavy duty trucks to add to my web page. URL's are listed below. Let me know what you guys (and gals) think.

1961 High Tonnage Power Giants

1971 Medium Duty Dodge Trucks (C and D models)

1974 Heavy Duty Dodge Trucks (gas and diesel C models)

Ruppster

See less See more
#3 ·
Yeah, the Bighorns are neat and very rare. Dodge took the same cab from the LCF (C cab) model and put a longer hood on it. The cab was also the same cab first used on the late 50's Dodge pick-up trucks. The 1973 Dodge C800 I used to own had a tag saying it was built by Checker Cab. There is a gent that just put his Dodge truck site back on the web at www.olddodges.com . He has a page about the Bighorns. I think his dad owns one or two of them. The last one I saw on eBay was sold by his dad. I have some pics of it that I have yet to add to my web site. When I'm done playing around scanning Dodge brochures I will probably add that next. Right now I'm working on a 1973 medium duty brochure and will be doing a 1974 heavy duty diesel brochure after that.

Ruppster

#5 ·
The guy who has the Bighorns and the LCFs is a guy named Tony Youngblood. He has information on the Sweptline (1961-1971 D, W series) trucks.

RAM MAN,

As far as parts for these beasts go...I would imagine in the world of big trucks a lot of parts are pretty universal such as air brake parts, wheels, steering components, etc., but I'm sure there a lot of parts that are very hard to find since it's been 35 years or longer this these trucks were built.

#7 ·
Dodgevanman said:
The guy who has the Bighorns and the LCFs is a guy named Tony Youngblood. He has information on the Sweptline (1961-1971 D, W series) trucks.
His son Kyle is the one that does the olddodges.com website. Talked with Kyle a few times but haven't talked to Tony.

Dodgevanman said:
As far as parts for these beasts go...I would imagine in the world of big trucks a lot of parts are pretty universal such as air brake parts, wheels, steering components, etc., but I'm sure there a lot of parts that are very hard to find since it's been 35 years or longer this these trucks were built.
I'm going to give this another try. Thursday night I typed up a long explanation about parts for these vehicles but when I went to post it my browser messed up on me and shut down. Hopefully it will work this time. :)

The drivetrain from the tranny back was pretty much off the shelf commercial grade stuff from Fuller, Spicer, Eaton, and Rockwell. Some of the stuff is no longer made put can be easily upgraded to newer versions. They used the SAE standard for the bellhousings so almost any truck tranny will drop right in. Same with the diesel engines too. Caterpillar, Cummins, and Detroits. The gas engines were mainly 318's, 361's, and 413's. The engine blocks of the 361's and 413's were the same as the car version but they used a different head with coolant ports to the water pump. Plus the water pump was different and mounted higher. Parts to rebuild them can still be bought. Dodge also used two other gas engines in the bigger trucks, a 478 and a 549. Both V-8's but I think they were built by IH. Don't know how hard it is to get parts for them.

The hardest part would be body parts depending on which version truck you are dealing with.

D400-1000 Series: probably the easiest as most of the trucks shared the same hood and cab as the D100-300 pick-ups except for the mid 70's versions. Then they used some different parts.

C400-1000 Series: Front sheet metal, like the swing out fenders and hood, was special to this series and harder to come by. The cab is the same cab used on the late 50's 1/2 and 3/4 ton pick-ups. When Dodge redesigned the pick-ups for 1960 with a new cab they carried the old cab over to the new Low Cab Forward (LCF) C series trucks. This same cab was built till 1975. The 1973 C800 that I used to own in Alaska had a tag on it that said the cab was built for Dodge by Checker Cab. The only real difference in sheet metal for the entire run of the C series truck, from 1960 to 1975, was the headlights. In 1968 they went from dual headlights to singles. Dodge also used the headlight trim rings from the A100 vans on the single headlight trucks.

L Series: There are two different styles within the L series cabover (COE) trucks. The medium duty version, L600 and 700, used the cab portion of the A100 van. So a lot of parts will interchange between the two. The heavy duty L1000, the biggest of the cabovers, would probably be the hardest since the cab was specially made just for this truck. It was totally flat across the front like a true cabover. The good news is they made it out of aluminum sheet so rust should not be a problem. This truck is also the rarest of all the heavy duty Dodges. I've seen a lot of D and C series semi trucks but only a couple of L series.

Kyle's site at OldDodges.com gives a lot more info in regards to the different models.

Ruppster

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.