DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Voltage Regulator Problem (I think)

13K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Red Sleeper 
#1 ·
Driving home from holidays last week, the voltage gauge in my 01 24v went to nothing and the CHECK GAUGES light came on. Figured it had to be the alternator as it was only showing 12.3v on each battery idling. Made it home (6hours):rck: and threw in a new alternator. Same problem. The truck is not telling the alternator to charge.

I'm pretty sure its the voltage regulator, but I thought I'd ask here before trying to figure out a fix. Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks!

#2 ·
Correct me if i'm wrong but isn't the voltage regulator a part of the alternator?
Or at least screwed onto the alternator.
If you replaced the alternator probably you changed the voltage regulator too.
Did you check the wiring(grounding cable for the alternator to see if it is in good condition(maybe it,s corroded and therefore not making contact or bad contact preventing the charge

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply ringnalda, but I'm pretty sure I found it up against the driver side firewall, but I'm not 100%. One wire going into the new alternator had no power going to it, so I assumed voltage regulator wasn't telling it to charge.

I really hate dealing with electrical, so I could be totally wrong here....

#5 ·
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the crank sensor only on gas motors?

Turns out the computer tells the alternator when to charge....

So far we've completely bypassed the computer with a voltage regulator and it still will not charge with the old and new alternator. Getting a little pissed off. I'm picking up another voltage regulator this afternoon and if that doesn't work, I'm stumped.

#7 ·
UPDATE

It was simply the alternator. Originally, I suspected the new alternator was faulty, but the shop in town tested it and said it was fine. After installing a volt regulator and pulling out most of my hair, I sent the alternator and the voltage regulator into the city to get them tested at a more reputable shop. Sure enough, the new alternator was junk. Installed a different one bought in the city and all is good.

After ripping a strip off the mechanic at the shop in town, they gave me my money back plus $50 for my troubles.

Off to the lake we go!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.