DodgeTalk Forum banner

Bed Cover: to Bakflip or not to Bakflip

9K views 20 replies 17 participants last post by  JJP71584 
#1 ·
Hey,

I just bought a 2011 Laramie Longhorn 1500 Crew Cab. Absolutely love it so far. Im in the market for a bed cover, and I'm leaning towards a Bakflip G2. Any advice??? How much should I pay for one?

Also any advice on the truck?

Thanks,

Matt

#2 ·
Bakflips KICK ASS. I love mine!

I paid 625 shipped for mine, in the states - not sure what they run up north!

Welcome to DT as well Matt.

#4 ·
I don't get in the back of my truck much - but I did today, after it sat by a sprinkler at work. The entire back end of the truck was wet (soaking) and there was no water in the back at all.

#5 ·
Yeah, you will love it I like the ideal that if I need some of my bed well I can just do section of my cover or if I need all of it I can put the whole cover back.

#6 ·
Welcome to DT and congrats on your new ram I bought the big horn.

#8 ·
I love mine! It's about 99% water tight, when he have a heavy down pour I do get some water in the back corners by the tailgate, but none of it actually gets into the bed and my bed rug stays dry.

Only thing to watch out for if you are going to have it up against the back window hauling stuff is the corners of the folded panel digging into the rubber gasket and the folded panel sliding up and scratching the front of the cover. Both can be easily prevented if you know about it in advance. I usually put a couple squares of thin plastic (Tackle box dividers) between the corner and the rubber gasket and make sure everything is tight and haven't had a problem since.

Attachments

#9 ·
I own my truck for about two years, and at my last birthday, my wife gives me a G2 Bakflip (Pop&Lock Incld). It´s really awesome, low profile, easy to install and remove, i really recomend one of those. The only issue, was that my truck came with an over the rail bed liner that i don´t want to dispose off, so then, i made some holes to the bed liner to the proper install.

#13 ·
I've had a bakflip for over 2 years and when I get my new pickup, I will be getting one on it, very much a fan of the design and the sleek look, only wish it was 100% watertight...and a lot cheaper than the over $1K for the electronic bedlocker from pace...just my opinion.

#14 ·
Anyone got a picture of one installed? One's I've seen sit on top the rail about 1" or so, kinda looks gawdy. And did I see someone say this thing lays folds up and leans against the back glass when folded? If that is true, how in the worl do you keep it from scratching the truck/window?

#15 ·
I have this on my 09 Ram and I love it!!! The cover sits on the bed flush as in if you look from a side profile, not even a half inch of rise as opposed to those other gawdy covers. When it folds up it has cushion pads that you install to keep the window and cab from being damaged and locked in place with position rods. Awesome cover!:rck:

#18 ·
The Bakflip can be a pain to install because of the clamps on the rail setup. Sometimes you have to call them for extra shims because of the way the beds are manufactered on these trucks but, I do like that it folds up one section at a time as needed.

#19 ·
I bought a bak flip not long after I bought my 04 ram. And I loved it for a few years till all the rivets started coming out. I tried changing them but they never would hold. Now the one I had was an aluminum frame with plastic sections. The new ones may be different. I had bought mine back around 05 or 06 I believe. I've since taken it off and have an extang roll up cover now.

#21 ·
x2 got one on my new truck and very happy with it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.