DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Replacing Shocks 06-08 1500

15K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  justramitman 
#1 ·
Finally said screw it and bought some new shocks for my 07 1500 4x4. They've been blown for what feels like forever and since I have the leveling kit on I never brought it to the dealer. Just wondering if I need a spring compressor? Has anyone replaced them or should I take it to a shop to do? Kinda figured there was no point in replacing these shocks with crappy factory shocks again so I bought some Ranchos.

#2 ·
You dont need a spring compressor. It's really easy too! Just jack up 1 side at a time, remove the control arm, tie rod, and strut bolts and it will come right out.

#3 ·
Yes you will need a spring compressor to disassemble the struts and replace the shocks.

#5 ·
Well I guess I better have a compressor on hand so I don't get half way thru the project only to have needed one. Thanks for the replies guys.

#6 ·
it's struts not shocks in the front and shocks in the back just to be clear cause you don't need a spring compressor for shocks

#8 ·
I know the correct name for these is struts, however I hate the way that sounds. Like we are driving unibody trucks without frames and complete front suspensions. Struts usualy serve as part of the suspension as well as rebound control and spring. In my opinion these should be called coil over shocks. Both are an assembly of spring and shock. Struts = stupid name.

#10 ·
Just got the non adjustable Rancho 5000's. Going to get new tires on wednesday & the shop is gonna install the "coil over shocks" for a hundred bucks. It's not worth the effort for me to put them in for that price. The first shop quoted me $300 labor!!!

#12 · (Edited)
Hey 06 quad..did those struts (ya coil over sounds better) you put on,give you any lift???
I want to get my truck levelled but need to change the coil overs.
The ride seems too soft (bouncy) right now, so I thought i could kill two birds with one stone with new coil overs.
Any one with suggestions would be greatly appreciated, as I want get this project started asap...

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.