DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

What controls the blend door actuator 99 Ram 1500

49K views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  MeenGreen5.2 
#1 ·
What controls the blend door actuator? (do the controls on the dash send a signal somewhere, then to the actuator?) I went to the junkyard, bought a Perfect Actuator plugged it in, and it does the same thing.

Please help, i know its not the actuator now.

#3 ·
thanks for your help guys! i fixed it haha it was a plastic key piece that connects the actuator to the blend door... simple fix! And i got the part for free at the junk yard (just paid 25 to get it installed)

You DO NOT have to remove the dash to take the actuator off.

#4 ·
You DO NOT have to remove the dash to take the actuator off.

Please share.. I need to replace my blend door actuator and I've been putting it off because I don't want to pull the dash out....

rr

#6 ·
I'll be cruising down the street, AC blowing ice cold, then I hear a little "whump" and it starts blowing hot air. If I turn the AC fan down to the first position, it slowly cools down after about 30 seconds and then I can crank it again. I think the actuator is just getting "tired" and will only hold the door open for so long before it gives up.

rr

#7 ·
PLEASE SHARE!!
Mine has been cooking my freakin a@# for almost a year now. Been putting off fixing it, cause I did not want to remove the dash.

#8 ·
Well, Theres a little black plastic piece that "adapts" the actuator to the blend door. That little POS BROKE on my ram.... IT DID THE EXACT THING YOU ARE SAYING. Anyways, i replaced my perfectly good blend door actuator with one from a junkyard and the piece i'm talking about....

How to replace the actuator:
Step one, Put the temp knob to 12'oclock position
Step two, Unplug actuator & Remove 2 screws Holding the actuator in place (one is hard to get to, Be patient... can be removed with a L Shaped Screwdriver)
Step#3, Remove actuator from the housing.
Step#4 Remove plastic adapter
step#5 install new plastic adapter
Step#6 Install new actuator.
STep#7 Test it! (you should now be able to control the temp you want it at.)

If you need these parts, ill try to find them at the local junk yard. Ill sell you my old actuator for $40 shipped if you want it.

I also replaced the controller on the dash, i have a spare one in my garage. It does not have the heated mirror option. $40 shipped. It works great. I just wanted to replace all the parts that control the actuator equally.

#9 ·
If I am looking at the right part. I don't see any way to get to the screws. Would you happen to have any pictures? Or a drawing or something??? Looks like I might be able to get to it if I pull the carpet out. Just not sure.

#10 ·
The actuator is To the RIght of the transmission hump

sit in the passenger seat, kick with your left leg, thats where it is.....

and yes, you have to lift the carpet to get to the screw thats behind the actuator.

#11 ·
I have been having the same issues. Typically the blend door will close (go to heat) when I let off the throttle. I thought it might be the vacuum check valves, but I changed both and I am still having problems. I'm going to have to check the piece you refer to.

Where is the blend door located?

Thanks for the help MeenGreen.
Joe

#13 ·
Here's the pics... Read the pics... How ever, if that plastic peice doesent solve your problem, blend door may be broken... removal of dash is required.

Theres only one way to find out!

Attachments

#14 ·
Thanks again MeenGreen!!!

Those pictures help a ton...I had no idea where to look. Hopefully I'll be able to take a look this weekend. It's 90 degree weather here and having the air blow heat really sux.

#15 ·
AMEN to that!!!!
Mine has been stuck for a while and I am driving 100 miles a day like that.
Thanks again for being so much help MeenGreen.

#17 ·
Anyone had a problem when trying to turn the temp dial a little warmer from full cold and only getting either full cold or full hot? No in between?

#18 ·
I had this problem, Replaced temp Controller on dash and that plastic peice under the dash, Prob solved.

if anyone needs a controller, i have one for sale... $40 shipped it works FINE.

I also have The Blend door actuator... 75 shipped for both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.