DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

08 ram sputter and die???

3K views 19 replies 5 participants last post by  TnGuy 
#1 · (Edited)
hey yall, got a question, my 08 ram started fine and then sputtered and coughed and shook and died :( i tried to restart it and it would sputter like it wanted to start but wouldnt catch, it would sputter for a few seconds when the auto crank was cranking then it would just crank with no sputter till i turned the key off or the end of the auto crank cycle,,,,,after 6 or 8 tries i gave up and called for a ride, a couple minutes latter i decided to try spraying some carb cleaner in the intake when it was cranking to see if it would fire at all,(to figure out if it was a gas or spark issue) so i tapped the key and started for under the hood and before i could get there the dam thing fired up and ran like a top!!! and has since ran and been shut off several times and is fine,,, any ideas as to what it could be? that was kinda scary because i just drove out of the middle of the cherokee nathional forrest from hunting, and there is no cell service or people for MILES around :( and i am disabled so i couldnt have walked out :(

thanks

PS i just drove the truck about 50 miles down the road and shut it off to go in the store for about 15 minutes and when i came out is when it acted up....

UPdate.... its worse today :( i went out and it fired right up, drove it about 10 miles drove it home shut it off and it restarted right away and was fine, left it sit about 10 minutes and it wont start, it fires up the first time and sputters to a stop, then thats it it just cranks and sputters let it set a few minutes and it seems to start and run fine till you shut it off again :(

See less See more
#2 ·
First thing i would do is get the battery tested. When the batterys in these start to go, they cause a lot of weird issues. Did you have any lights stay on like check engine or the lightning bolt for the throttle body?

#3 · (Edited)
the battery seems to be fine as i cranked the hell out of it last night trying to get it started to get home, there is a light on on the dash when its cranking but im not sure what it looks like, il have to go look again, its only on when it cranking... i updated my post above.... thanks

Ok there is a lightning bolt on the dash when its cranking

#4 ·
The lightning bolt while cranking is normal as long as it goes off after it starts. You still want to get the battery load tested. When the battery in my 05 started to go bad, it still started and cranked like a brand new battery, but caused my throttle body to freak out a couple times to the point where at first i couldent give gas while running because it caused it to sputter. It also at one point caused it to not start with similer symptoms to what you have, and as like your truck, mine started fine if i let it sit for 15-20 minutes. After that, replaced the battery and havent had an isuue since. That was at the end of last year.

#6 ·
unless something has changed the only type of filter on these trucks is a screen on the fuel pump.

With the way its acting it could be the fuel pump itself is starting to go.

#7 ·
Could it be a fuel pressure problem? Maybe a fuel pump Issue? I've seen fuel pump weaken after they heat up and cause loss of fuel pressure.

Daytona beat me to it ha.

#8 ·
sorry for not getting back. i believe its the fuel pump :( when its cold it starts when you drive it and leave it sit about 10 minutes then try it wont start BUT tap on the bottom of the fuel tank and it fires right up :) NOW the VERY bad part... 519.00 for the pump only no labor just the pump :( i cant believe with only 49000 miles the pump is bad :( thanks for the help....

#9 ·
where the heck are you finding a pump? try rockauto, i changed mine last year and i think i spent 160-170 for it....

#10 ·
do you keep the tank full? these pumps need the gas to keep it cool and some say if you constantly run it to empty that it will affect it...too bad your not out here, i'd help you change it...

#11 ·
I run an airtex in mine...and what I pulled out was an airtex

Attachments

#15 ·
you know...you gotta give us ALL the details when you have problems you're needin help with...

#19 ·
getting anything done that fast by a dealer is rather impressive, even more so since it was on an extended warranty. I figured they would keep the truck for a week to try and figure out the problem and give it back to you at least once saying they couldn't find anything wrong.

#20 ·
this dealer is normally a bunch of idiots!!! and yes they normally send things home not fixed,,, this is the dealer that argued with me and said dodge NEVER puts Bosch plugs in there trucks! LOL when i took it in i told them the fuel pump was out and what i had done to "see" if it was the fuel pump so i did there work for them lol, the extended warranty was from a private company not dodge so i guess they think they are going to get there money faster LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.