DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuel System Cleaners...

15K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  matted2thefloor 
#1 ·
I went to get an oil change at Jiffy Lube and was told my injectors has some carb building up. They offered their fuel system cleanse or whatever its called but I didnt get it. I noticed my gas mileage has gone down over the past 2 weeks. I want to try the bottle fuel system cleaner before getting it done at a shop. Has anyone used the bottled fuel system cleaners?

#2 ·
Chevron's techron is one of the only real proven fuel system cleaners. Your mpg would more likely be from spark plugs or a clogged fuel filter. The best way to clean the injectors is to remove them and clean them but that's a pain and unless you are at 100k+ miles it's not worth it. Get down to a 1/4 of a tank, add the additive, drive it until you need gas.

Also, doing WOT runs kinda does the same thing as cleaning the injectors since you are dumping a lot of fuel from them and well gas dissolves most things.

#3 ·
My truck has 84K miles on it. I bought it with 66K on it. I got some of the Lucas fuel injector cleaner. I had the STP brand but the guy at autozone said Lucas was better. A co-worker said the same. I was already close to empty so I put half a bottle in and filled her up. Hopefully, my mpg will go back up soon.

#4 ·
I agree with everything Chesterspot stated above... I don't use additives often, but when I do I use STP... don't fall for the price difference stated by many of the salesman at checkout :tup:

Regarding the fuel filter, does anyone know where it is located on our 5.7L Hemi engines?

#7 ·
Regarding the fuel filter, does anyone know where it is located on our 5.7L Hemi engines?
According to my Haynes Repair Manual:
There are two.
One is a nylon mesh strainer at the lower (inlet) end of the fuel pump/fuel level sending unit module. Located on the top of the fuel tank, protruding down into the fuel.
The main filter is part of the fuel pump/fuel gauge sending unit assembly.

#5 ·
if the 5.7 is like the older magnum motors, the fuel filter is probably in the fuel tank.
As for the dirty injectors, that is from the fuel used, Runs some of the chevron fuels, shell would be my next choice.

#8 · (Edited)
I went to get an oil change at Jiffy Lube and was told my injectors has some carb building up.

How did they know you had carbon on your injectors? Did they pull an injector to look at it? Did they do a spray pattern and flow test? Do you think they might be trying to sell you a service that may not be necessary? Why not go for the transmission flush, and nitrogen in the tires while your there?

You can put in a lot of bottles of Techron, for what they charge. You were right to walk away.

#9 ·
^Yep! x2!

#10 ·
Im glad I didnt fall for their fuel system flush. I used a bottle of Luca Fuel Injector cleaner. It works pretty good. I went from 15mpg to 16. I was getting 16.7 on the interstate. $16 tune-up in a bottle.

#11 ·
Replace the spark plugs and air fliter soon too ifthey haven't been done recently ( within the last 30,000 miles ). I see you have 22s on there...that in itself is going to affect your MPGs.

My D averages 17.9-18.8 on the interstate running the cruise with A/C doing 80+. If I drop it down below 70...it goes over 19!!! I saw 19.3 the last time we went to FL..was running about 70ish when I got that MPG...

I just replaced plugs and air filter today...so we'll see if in-town MPG increases...usually have been seeing about 13.5-14.1 in-town. I run Hess 89 octane...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.