DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Why do my valves rattle when i floor it?

7K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  B1G BLEU 
#1 ·
Just as my title says. My valves ratter when I floor it at times, and when going up steep hills? Is something wrong? I use the cheap gas. Think it's 87. But if I recall, I think I read in the manual a while back that it says not to use anything higher than 87. Could something else be the problem?

#2 ·
You sure it's not knocking from the gas? I'm sure the manual said not to get lower than 87 and that you may not need more than 87.

#3 ·
That's pinging for sure. You need to run higher octane gas, which is ALWAYS better for your motor. The higher the octane, the more efficient the fuel burns and you'll get better gas mileage to boot.

If higher octane doesn't do the trick, switch to a colder spark plug such as Autolite 3923's or Denso IQ22's.

Hope this helps!

#4 ·
I owned the truck for 2 years now, and never tuned it up or anything. Do you think I should just change the plugs anyway? They're prob original being i bought the truck with 50K miles on it.

#5 ·
Ummmmmmm Hell Yes! :D You should change plugs every 15-20k or so, IMHO. Then after you change plugs, get it serviced.... oil change, get a K&N drop in filter, etc etc., get better plug wires. I think even after just changing the plugs and going to higher octane you'll see the pinging go away, but the other stuff is also needed.

#6 ·
sounds like marbles in a can right? JW's hit it on the head

#7 ·
I had the same problem. I kept my plugs and wires stock (not that those aren't good mods) and gave it a treatment with SeaFoam engine cleaner in the intake. It fogged up the neighborhood with thick white smoke for a few minutes, but I haven't heard any pinging since. (I told the neighbors I was testing the smoke-screen.) I've also started adding an injection/valve cleaner to the fuel tank with every oil change just to keep things clean. I still run 87 too-- no need to pay more for gas if you use SeaFoam to get the carbon out of your engine. (There are other engine cleaning products-- that just happens to be the one I used.)

#8 ·
I quit using high octane due to poor gas mileage and increased cost. If the engine is tuned for regular it shouldn't ping. May have been tuned with premium at some time in the past.

#9 ·
Yes the stock durango engine is tuned for 87 octane. There are factor that may cause a need for higher octane such as a need for tune up (plugs, wires, cap rotor) leaking plenum gasket (common failure) and in general worn engine. The only way to "tune" the engine for premium is to change the PCM or increase the compression ratio.

#10 ·
Mopar sells 'top engine cleaner' which I was recommended to buy for my old Caddy. It did wonders (besides the black smoke which turned white). Ran much better but still neded prem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.