DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reviews Chevy SS Vs. Dodge Hemi

4K views 47 replies 16 participants last post by  eagleram 
#1 ·
I have been reading a few reviews about the Silverado SS pickup, however every review I come across compares it side by side with the SRT/10 Ram. Does anyone know more about this truck? From these numbers, I would think it should be more comparable to the 5.7 Hemi, not the SRT/10.

"The most sporting player in the Silverado lineup is the pricey, all-wheel-drive Super Sport (SS), whose high-output 6.0-liter delivers 345 horsepower and 375 lb-ft of torque."

Isn't that right on target for the Hemi, what am I missing, that takes the SS into the SRT/10 category?

The Ford Lightning is compared with the SRT/10 as well, I know the Lightning is up there with the SRT/10, but can anyone fill me in on it's numbers as well?

And last, Just a note, but I was reading the reviews on MotorTrend.com, and if you look up the reviews and "value ratings", the Dodge Magnum, Dodge Charger, and Chrysler 300, the reviews come back good, as well boasting the hemi engines, but if you read the reviews for the Charger R/T, SRT/8, Magnum R/T, 300C, and the 300 SRT/8 the reviews for value is poor. I don't understand how a car can get good ratings, and good ratings for hemi, but combine the two and the value is poor ?? Is that figuring price for the hemi? I sure wouldn't have bought my truck without one.

:huh:

See less See more
#2 ·
I agree. I don’t know why they are comparing the two. The ss is equal to the hemi in the hp/torque range. It’s not even close to comparing it to the srt-10 in any aspect. It’s like the corvette against viper debate. Yeah you can put as bunch of money into the corvette to make it faster then the viper but to make it fair you would have to do the same for the viper. It’s no contest

#3 ·
I think the only way they compare the SS w/the L and SRT is because it is consider a sport truck and the HEMI isnt.
The numbers for the L are 0-60, 5.1 and 1/4mile, Upper 13's
The numbers for the SRT are 0-60, 4.9 and 1/4mile, Mid-Upper 13's
I'm sure those #'s are close but if they arent then someone correct me.

This is a very old article clearly comparing the Hemi and SS. Hope this helps 3Z Hemi. If not go to motortrend and click on road test, then pickups, then click on "more", and then click on "next or #2". You should find it.

Motor Trend
Road Test: 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Hemi vs. Chevrolet Silverado SS

Two of a Kind
Chevy and Dodge probably have intelligence-gathering Predator drones flying over each other's engineering labs--that's how similar in specification the Ram Hemi and Silverado SS are. Each features a 345-horsepower pushrod V-8 engine, a live-axle rear suspension, four disc brakes with ABS, 20-inch wheels wearing the same 275/55R20 Goodyear Eagle LS tires, and a monochromatic paint job. Each also made its debut in the '03 model year.

Test Behavior
If you're used to driving big, torque-tuned pickups, you'd probably never guess just how quick a full-sizer can be. From zero to 60 mph, these two 2.5-ton beasts run like Pat Buchanan at an Eminem concert. The Chevy, its added weight apparently offset by its superior four-wheel-drive traction, has a slight edge, clicking off the run to 60 mph in 6.6 seconds, versus 6.8 for the Ram. Farther down the track, the small gap narrows. Our SS tripped the quarter-mile lights in 14.99 seconds at 89.05 mph; the Ram posted a nearly identical run of 15.11 seconds at 89.06. Such swiftness in a pickup truck is not only invigorating, it can be beneficial. The next time a buddy asks you to transport his couch, you can opt out simply by saying, "You ever seen what g forces do to Naugahyde?"

TEST DATA
Acceleration, sec
SS HEMI
0-30 mph 2.1 2.3
0-40 mph 3.2 3.4
0-50 mph 4.8 5.0
0-60 mph 6.6 6.8
0-70 mph 8.6 8.8
0-80 mph 12.1 12.0
0-90 mph 15.4 15.8
0-100 mph 20.2 20.9
1/4 mile, sec @ mph 14.99 @ 89.05 15.11 @ 89.06
Braking, 60-0 mph, ft 119 132
600-ft slalom, mph 61.3 62.3
200-ft skidpad, lateral g 0.77 0.80
Top-gear rpm @ 60 mph 2000 1750
SS HEMI
Curb weight, lb 5300 4800
Payload capacity, lb 1490 1750
Towing capacity, lb 7500 9200
SS HEMI
Base price $39,995 $22,040
Price as tested $40,010 $27,820 [/QUOTE]

#4 ·
well...anything else you would like to know about the SS just ask. Mine is a 2003, the first year they made it.

Brad

#5 ·
mooseknuckle said:
I think the only way they compare the SS w/the L and SRT is because it is consider a sport truck and the HEMI isnt.
The numbers for the L are 0-60, 5.1 and 1/4mile, Upper 13's
The numbers for the SRT are 0-60, 4.9 and 1/4mile, Mid-Upper 13's
I'm sure those #'s are close but if they arent then someone correct me.

This is a very old article clearly comparing the Hemi and SS. Hope this helps 3Z Hemi. If not go to motortrend and click on road test, then pickups, then click on "more", and then click on "next or #2". You should find it.

600-ft slalom, mph 61.3 62.3
200-ft skidpad, lateral g 0.77 0.80
Top-gear rpm @ 60 mph 2000 1750
SS HEMI
Curb weight, lb 5300 4800
Payload capacity, lb 1490 1750
Towing capacity, lb 7500 9200
SS HEMI
Base price $39,995 $22,040
Price as tested $40,010 $27,820
[/QUOTE]

i believe this is a 2 wheel drive hemi to the awd SS. i would think the 4x4 hemi would be better...due to the similar drive train power loss. But yeah...thats about right for SS's numbers. Mine ran 15.01 stock

#7 ·
All Chevy/GMC's are way over priced.

#9 ·
blackarmy said:
son of a... take a look at the price difference. gee i wonder how fast the hemi would be if you added $12,000 worth of goodies :)

so first...how much does a loaded hemi club cab cost with 4x4. you know a comparable one to the SS. Power everything including both seats, the over head console package that has the MPG and stuff, leather, 20" rims, performance tires, performance suspension....no wait ram doesn't offer that, and all the other goodies. The you can compare the two, i mean make sure they are the same before you say that.

here i went to dodge web site and built a ram that would be like the SS. you can do it to if you don't believe me. The options i took are as follows:
ram 1500 Laramie
quad cab(the closest to the 2+2door SS)
4x4(SS is AWD)
6.25' bed
5.7l hemi
3.92 gears(SS is 4.10)
trailer tow(SS has it to, but yes can't tow as much)
anti spin(again for the SS's AWD)
rear window defrost(SS has it)
5 speed auto(SS only has 4 speed, but could use the 5 speed)
20" rims
am-fm with 6 disk(SS has it)
leather(Only way the ss comes ss)
and the ram appearance package(to equal the body clading and badging of the SS)

here is what i copied right from the web site. MSRP of $40,984, my SS that has all these options was MSRP for $42,000. so i guess that makes more sense now.

Base Price $30,495
Laramie J Pkg. $2,580

Options $4,635
Accessories $2,374
Destination $900
MSRP $40,984 *

Cash Allowance - $3,000
Employee Discount - ($5,657)

Choose Another Incentive

Net Price $32,327 *
Est. Finance Payment $557 ‡
About Finance Modify Payment

so after all that is said and done....I was just trying to help this guy who had real questions about the SS. I still like dodge, and i think the rams look great, even test drove one. I like the forum because most of the guys here a still pretty cool even though i'm driving a SS now. But just to give you something to think about.....the SRT-10 goes for what $52,000 MSRP....how slow would the SRT-10 be if you took away $12,000? :crazy: if did red all of this....thanks, and hope i use fair numbers though out.

Brad

#10 ·
by the way..no one take that post the wrong way
just trying to see eye to eye ;)

thought i would include a pic of the two trucks we are talking about side by side. except the ram is 2 wheel.

Attachments

#11 ·
shadowsniper300 said:
so first...how much does a loaded hemi club cab cost with 4x4. you know a comparable one to the SS. Power everything including both seats, the over head console package that has the MPG and stuff, leather, 20" rims, performance tires, performance suspension....no wait ram doesn't offer that, and all the other goodies. The you can compare the two, i mean make sure they are the same before you say that.

here i went to dodge web site and built a ram that would be like the SS. you can do it to if you don't believe me. The options i took are as follows:
ram 1500 Laramie
quad cab(the closest to the 2+2door SS)
4x4(SS is AWD)
6.25' bed
5.7l hemi
3.92 gears(SS is 4.10)
trailer tow(SS has it to, but yes can't tow as much)
anti spin(again for the SS's AWD)
rear window defrost(SS has it)
5 speed auto(SS only has 4 speed, but could use the 5 speed)
20" rims
am-fm with 6 disk(SS has it)
leather(Only way the ss comes ss)
and the ram appearance package(to equal the body clading and badging of the SS)

here is what i copied right from the web site. MSRP of $40,984, my SS that has all these options was MSRP for $42,000. so i guess that makes more sense now.

Base Price $30,495
Laramie J Pkg. $2,580

Options $4,635
Accessories $2,374
Destination $900
MSRP $40,984 *

Cash Allowance - $3,000
Employee Discount - ($5,657)

Choose Another Incentive

Net Price $32,327 *
Est. Finance Payment $557 ‡
About Finance Modify Payment

so after all that is said and done....I was just trying to help this guy who had real questions about the SS. I still like dodge, and i think the rams look great, even test drove one. I like the forum because most of the guys here a still pretty cool even though i'm driving a SS now. But just to give you something to think about.....the SRT-10 goes for what $52,000 MSRP....how slow would the SRT-10 be if you took away $12,000? :crazy: if did red all of this....thanks, and hope i use fair numbers though out.

Brad
Brad, seems like a far comparision to me. I don't get all brand huffy like some and I'm not saying anyone here is. However, there are DIE HARD brand loyalists in every forum. I like the SS but after driving an 00 Silverado Ext Cab for 3 1/2 years, I wanted a change, so I bought a Hemi Ram QC. The SS does lose power through the drivetrain with the AWD, no doubt. BUT, I think it makes up for it with it's ability to launch hard! Tire spin shouldn't be a problem with the AWD, nail it and go. I have to baby it off the line so, spinning the tires is a problem. I guess what I'm trying to say it the SS has the advantage off the line then might lose a little ground towards the top end, I think the gain/loss would be a push really. And you're right about the price, you can't compare the AWD leather SS to a cloth SLT 2WD Ram, it must be against the leather Laramie 4WD.
Jim
i

#14 ·
with all that aside, look at all of the prices, wtf man, our dodges are like $12k+ cheaper the whole way, there is a reason I was able to get this truck for my first car...

The trucks compared against each other (HEMI vs SS)(L vs SRT Reg Cab) are around the sam stats but the dodges are a billion bucks cheaper...

To comment on the GM AWD: my mom has a AWD 6.0 that i drive alot and thak thing smokes off the line but you can DEFINETLY feel a HUGE loss in the wot (wide open throttle) 30mph+ range... My ram will smoke that thing so bad... The awd affects alot, trust me, you can let off the gas at 45mph and it will steadily loose speed faster than you think. I do like the allison 40x better than my ram tranny though...

#15 ·
My Bro in Law has an 04 SS and I have to hand it to him... For a heavy, Ext Cab, AWD truck, That thing runs neck and neck with my Mildy modded SC HEMI. We could discuss all day the differences, but hey... That engine/tranny/gear setup is strong as hell.

..........now... When I put the 4.56 in my Ram... He wont stand a chance. :)

#16 ·
I must say that I am a CHEVY guy through and through. I own a '99 Camaro SS ordered from the Chevrolet dealer in March of '99 and recieved in June of '99. She is ALWAYS garaged and NEVER sees the rain or snow and has less than 14, 000 miles on her. (I know we're not talking about Camaros here, just letting you know where I stand.)
The only reason I am not driving a Chevy truck is because I LOVE the look of the DAYTONA Ram and the performance is great. (Not saying the performance on the SS isn't.) It is a 4X2 until shifting it into 4X4. Just a question, is the Chevy SS AWD full time or 4X2 until you put into AWD? The sticker for the Daytona was under 37 grand. The SS I believe, is about 41,42 grand when I was checking them out and looking at the sticker prices. Both trucks are awesome and offer performance for a GREAT pickup truck. :gr_patrio :rck:

#17 ·
The SS looks like it's built to haul pigs & hay and the price tag is ridiculous. Why even bother to compare the two. I'll take the difference in cash-put it into my Hemi and there would be no reason to compare the two. Next, thing I'd do with my $48,000 "hemi" is go kill the Ford Mustang Cobras!!!

#19 ·
I just like a DODGE

#20 ·
fmdog44 said:
The SS looks like it's built to haul pigs & hay and the price tag is ridiculous. Why even bother to compare the two. I'll take the difference in cash-put it into my Hemi and there would be no reason to compare the two. Next, thing I'd do with my $48,000 "hemi" is go kill the Ford Mustang Cobras!!!
The Die Hard Brand Loyalist has spoken! I guess you didn't read all the compairsons, to a LOADED Laramie Hemi Ram and an SS, did you? The trucks optioned out and price out almost the same, NO problem! Everyone has their opinion and their right to have it, free speech and all.
Jim

#21 ·
fmdog44 said:
I'm with fmdo44 :rck:

#22 ·
that's fm dog44 Sorry

#23 ·
Personally, I think the SS in the pic is sweet looking! The Ram has a more rugged, get the hell out of my way look but the SS has a more stream lined, performance look. I like them both!
Jim

#24 ·
Ram4Pick said:
Brad, seems like a far comparision to me. I don't get all brand huffy like some and I'm not saying anyone here is. However, there are DIE HARD brand loyalists in every forum. I like the SS but after driving an 00 Silverado Ext Cab for 3 1/2 years, I wanted a change, so I bought a Hemi Ram QC. The SS does lose power through the drivetrain with the AWD, no doubt. BUT, I think it makes up for it with it's ability to launch hard! Tire spin shouldn't be a problem with the AWD, nail it and go. I have to baby it off the line so, spinning the tires is a problem. I guess what I'm trying to say it the SS has the advantage off the line then might lose a little ground towards the top end, I think the gain/loss would be a push really. And you're right about the price, you can't compare the AWD leather SS to a cloth SLT 2WD Ram, it must be against the leather Laramie 4WD.
Jim
i

i would say your 100% right. The ss has a stong 60' time with the AWD and the 4.10 gears, and just like you said it losses a little when the 4.10 gears are winding up and the AWD stopped helping. And yeah...there is no spinning them tires. I just got it side ways around around a turn in wet weather...and i was proud to just get that.

Brad

#25 ·
tones2SS said:
I must say that I am a CHEVY guy through and through. I own a '99 Camaro SS ordered from the Chevrolet dealer in March of '99 and recieved in June of '99. She is ALWAYS garaged and NEVER sees the rain or snow and has less than 14, 000 miles on her. (I know we're not talking about Camaros here, just letting you know where I stand.)
The only reason I am not driving a Chevy truck is because I LOVE the look of the DAYTONA Ram and the performance is great. (Not saying the performance on the SS isn't.) It is a 4X2 until shifting it into 4X4. Just a question, is the Chevy SS AWD full time or 4X2 until you put into AWD? The sticker for the Daytona was under 37 grand. The SS I believe, is about 41,42 grand when I was checking them out and looking at the sticker prices. Both trucks are awesome and offer performance for a GREAT pickup truck. :gr_patrio :rck:

AWD all the time, the new 06's i think are 2 wheel

#26 ·
fmdog44 said:

thanks for the opinion. I thought we cover this price thing already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.