DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oil Pan Removal Help / 5.7 HEMI 2500

54K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Palmentech766 
#1 ·
Does anyone out there know if it is possible to remove the oil pan from an 05 ram 2500 w/ 5.7 hemi. without pulling the motor? I replaced the oil pump but the screen on the end of the pick up line is clogged and I really can't bring my-self to remove the entire engine just to drop the oil pan there has to be another way

#2 ·
Headstrong,

Im going to move this thread to 3 Gen Ram General Talk. You will get much more exposure there. This area is primarily for submitting New How-To: articles.

The guys over there should be able to help you out.

Dane Skirtech - Moderator

#3 ·
3 Gen Guys, Can anyone Offer some Advice?

Thanks!

#4 ·
I think the easier way to do this is to remove the starter, transmission. I've only heard of it being done this way. Someone on here will give you a better answer then mine.. haha

#6 ·
Disconnect the negative battery cable.
Install engine support fixture # 8534. Do not raise engine at this time.
For 2WD vehicles, Remove both engine mount to frame through bolts.
For 4WD vehicles, Loosen both left and right side engine mount bracket to mount bolts, and remove the lower bolt on each side. The upper hole in the engine bracket is slotted.
Remove the structural dust cover (1). (Refer to 9 - ENGINE/ENGINE BLOCK/STRUCTURAL COVER - REMOVAL).
Drain engine oil.
Remove the front crossmember(Refer to 13 - FRAME & BUMPERS/FRAME/FRONT CROSSMEMBER - REMOVAL).

CAUTION: Only raise the engine enough to provide clearance for oil pan removal. Check for proper clearance at fan shroud to fan and cowl to intake manifold.

Raise engine using special tool # 8534 to provide clearance to remove oil pan.
Remove the nuts from the transmission mount to crossmember.
Using suitable transmission jack, raise the transmission approximately 3 inches off of the crossmember.
NOTE: Do not pry on oil pan or oil pan gasket. Gasket is integral to engine windage tray and does not come out with oil pan.

Remove the oil pan mounting bolts using the sequence above, and remove oil pan.
NOTE: The double ended oil pan studs must be installed in the same location that they were removed from.

Unbolt oil pump pickup tube and remove tube.
NOTE: When the oil pan is removed, a new oil pan gasket/windage tray assembly must be installed. The old gasket cannot be reused.

Discard the integral windage tray and gasket and replace.

#8 ·
I just changed an oil pan in a 2004 2500 and you just have to remove the support form the trans. Unbolt the pan unbolt the pick up tube from the oil pump and the one support nut from the middle main cap bolt from inside the pan with a wrench and pull the pan out and change the gasket.

#9 ·
Why would it be plugged in the first place ??? I have never heard of that on such a new vehicle.

#10 ·
maybe infrequent oil changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.