DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Error codes P601 and 1684 on Dodge Caravan 2001

11K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  va2gwy 
#1 ·
I was coming back from work today , the check engine light came on . At home , i 've extracted the codes P601 and P1684 . Seems to be computer internal error (601) ,battery resetted within 50 starts (P1684). Four questions:
Can i run the car without any problems for few days?
I'm suspecting that the PCM would need to be replaced ?
What is the approximately for a new PCM ?
I heard that PCM has to be reprogrammed by Chrysler if replaced

Need help !

#3 ·
Just called Chrysler , the cost for a new PCM is 975 $ Canadian . They said that this module does not need to be flashed with mileage and VIN. (the BCM does!) . So why some US website that sells refurbished PCM would require this info ? Any ideas or thoughts?

#4 ·
No idea about the mileage but the companies use the VIN to determine the build on your van. They don't want to flash it for a 3.8 liter engine if you have a 3.3 liter. When I got my ECM, they had a sticker with my VIN on it. Probably for tracking and warranty purposes if need be..

#6 · (Edited)
When you say P601, I assume you mean P0601. The P0601 means a checksum error in the PCM/ECM for our vans (according to what Autozone told me). I'm not sure if there is a code for the BCM.

Edit: Just went to autozone site and pulled these based upon a caravan 3.3 liter.

P1684 - Battery Has Been Disconnected

Possible Causes:
Quick Learn procedure was performed with scan tool
TCM battery direct (B+) circuit is open or disconnected
TCM power ground circuit is open
PCM/TCM was disconnected or it has been replaced

P0601 - PCM Random Access Memory Failure, Self-Test Failed

Possible Causes:
PCM needs to be replaced, and then reprogrammed

#7 ·
The PCM does store the VIN and a new one would have to be set up for your vehicle, but that doesn't take a dealer very long to do. If you haven't already come across it, it's very important to have the PCM properly programmed if you have the Sentry Key system (chip in the key), since the PCM stores the key codes and the van won't run unless they're set up with your keys.

#9 ·
The dealer is wrong. It needs to be programmed to your vehicle with it's specific options (unless the donor vehicle is optioned exactly the same as yours). Don't say we didn't warn you if it causes damage to your BCM too. The rebuilt ones that you can buy come programmed by the rebuilders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.