DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

1985 Dodge w150 engine swaps

18K views 30 replies 5 participants last post by  FirstRide 
#1 ·
Just curious about if it would be worth it to swap the 318 out thats in it for something bigger maybe like a 360 or maybe even a 440. Just wondering your takes on it if it would be worth it and which motor would be best. Any ones opinion would be nice.

#2 ·
i'm thinking the 360 swap would be easiest. what kind of transmission?

#6 ·
yeah if you got a 440 you'd have to get a transmission. the big block would be a lot more fun though. if you can, get a 360 magnum from a 90 something truck, put a 4 barrel and headers on it and kick up some mud

#7 ·
Im currently building up a 318 that should push out 350-400 hp.....I hope. That should be enough for some fun. I considered doing the 440 thing myself but the cost wasn't worth it to me.

If you tune up that 318 and its running nice with a few upgrades, you'll get some power out of it.

#8 ·
hey when we get our trucks back on the road we should go to the track in baton rouge

#9 ·
I'll give you a run for your money

#10 ·
so you saying i'd have to give sabrina a super tune up?

#11 ·
Yeah.....

#13 ·
headers, i would say a HEI ignition upgrade, a 4 barrel carb if you dont have one. possibly an intake too. anything that would help it breathe.

you could add larger valves to the heads, upgrade cam, port the heads. the biggest issue with the 318 is low compression, breathability, smog equipment, and crapping stock cam. for compression you could get thinner head gaskets. or if you want to really dig into it, flat top pistons and zero deck the block to increase compression.

by the way, my 318 is shot. so i wont be doing that build. i'm thinking about doing a magnum 360 upgrade to mine

#15 ·
I would start with headers, intake, & 4 bbl carb. Also ditch any smog stuff. Probably the cheaper and easier upgrades. Make sure timing is correct and vacuum is good.

The HEI ignition upgrade I liked, but a lot of mopar guys will say its not necessary. Best route would be msd 6a ignition

If you still want more then you can take the heads off, port, bigger valves, and reinstall with thin head gaskets. And install an after market cam.

After that, it'll be boring the cylinders, changing to bigger pistons and zero decking the block.

All that would run about a thousand bucks or so. Google "318 build" you'll find some cool articles of guys making 400 hp 318's.

#16 ·
Im thinking the magnum 360 would be cheap and a good route. Get one from a junk yard for like 200 bucks or so.

I was into doing a 318 build just so I could tell people my little 318 has more hp than their 360

#20 ·
Keep in mind if you get a junk yard engine that it'd be wise to rebuild it before swapping it

#24 ·
The only problem with getting the 440 is having to buy the drive train to go with it

#26 ·
Ive been researching 360 magnums builds. Seems difficult to squeeze power out of them. 318s on the other hand, cost a little more but seem to have more potential. But the magnum is quick bolt in power since it has twice the hp as a stock 318. But since you already have a 318, might as well use it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.