DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Performance Intake manifold options for a 318?

28K views 26 replies 10 participants last post by  Gamester 
#1 ·
Hello,

I did some searching around for performance intake manifold options for a 97 318 ram. The most popular manifold that I could find is a Mopar Performance M1 MPI intake Manifold. How much work is it to replace the stock manifold with a M1? also, are there any other aftermarket intake manifolds available?

thanks

Greg

#2 ·
The swap isn't very hard - just remove the old kegger, swap over the components, and plop the M1 in there. There aren't any other performance intakes for the 318/360 beside the Mopar M1 - one question though:

How will you be using the truck?

Reason I ask is that there is another option to the M1, involving modifying the stock kegger manifold. The M1 is designed to work in a higher RPM range due to the short runners - great for racing, not the best for street driving or offroading. A modified kegger can give you power down in the lower RPMs, where the 318/360s like it. I can give you some more info on this mod, if you'd like.

#3 · (Edited)
Yea, I like my MP1 intake; However you will notice that you lose some low end power, but you will also gain quite a bit of high range power in return :D

It’s great for higher speeds. I'm planning on getting some 4.56 gears next month in hopes of restoring some of my low end torque.

If you’re going with the MP1, this is about the cheapest place that I have found to buy it, don't forget your installation kit and gasket also...

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/inman.html

O’ yea and you might want to get some new intake bolts too...

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/mop19magv8.html

The intake comes with some very good and detailed instructions. If you are at all mechanic savvy, installation should be a breeze.

The guys at Mancini Racing are very helpful; I do business with them when ever I can. I got my heads and cam from them too.

Hope this helps,

Gamester

#4 ·
I have heard from a couple of very reliable sources that the low end loss experienced by most who do an M1 upgrade is because they do not flash their PCM to compensate for the M1. There is actually an "M1 Flash" you can get through the Fastman (it's a B&G flash), and it is supposed to make a huge difference. If/when my plenum goes, I fully plan to get an M1 with the appropriate PCM flash. Expect to pay about $400 for the flash though.

#5 · (Edited)
Sadly, I do not have that option :(

I have a 94' OBDI computer system instead of the OBDII :bawl:

But don’t worry greg_glider, you do have the option of getting a B&G PCM flash :D

Gamester

#6 ·
Hello All,

thanks for the info, it all looks good.

edglock21, that info for modifying the stock kegger manifold would be great. I would like to improve both the low and high end power, but if I had a choice, I would rather improve the low end power and torque since I could use that for towing. Hughesengines.com does have a modified kegger manifold (called a stage 2 OEM), is this what you mean? Do you know how much of an improvement this modified kegger is to the original?

thanks, I think thats enough questions for now!

Greg

#7 ·
forgot to ask: for this B&G flash, can I still use a programer with the flash, or do I have to use only one or the other?

thanks

Greg

#8 ·
edglock21 said:
A modified kegger can give you power down in the lower RPMs, where the 318/360s like it. I can give you some more info on this mod, if you'd like.
I've seen pictures of Hughes modified kegger and I really don't understand how you "shorten" the intake runners. Just curious.

#9 ·
greg_glider said:
forgot to ask: for this B&G flash, can I still use a programer with the flash, or do I have to use only one or the other?

thanks

Greg
It's not really one or the other because that makes it sound like they are equal. The flash is so much better then a hand held programmer. But yes, you would not want to use the programmer with the flash.

#10 ·
greg_glider said:
edglock21, that info for modifying the stock kegger manifold would be great. I would like to improve both the low and high end power, but if I had a choice, I would rather improve the low end power and torque since I could use that for towing. Hughesengines.com does have a modified kegger manifold (called a stage 2 OEM), is this what you mean? Do you know how much of an improvement this modified kegger is to the original?

thanks, I think thats enough questions for now!

Greg
Road Dog said:
I've seen pictures of Hughes modified kegger and I really don't understand how you "shorten" the intake runners. Just curious.
I'm sorry guys, I lost track of this thread :eek:

Here is some information on modifying the stock kegger manifold (this is all information that I gleaned from other sites, I've not yet done it myself - I just got a second manifold off of a 5.9 that I'll be using though.)
- Take a Sawzall and hack off the runners flush with the runners next to 'em (see blue line in first pic below)

- Clean up the ridges, and any metal shards, with a Dremel (sort of like porting, but not to the same degree)

- Get yourself a Hughesengines or APS Precision Plenum Gasket replacement kit and a Fastman Throttle Body, button everything back up - and you're all set :D
I'm sure it sounds easier than it actually is, but I'm gonna give it a shot on my newly acquired manifold. Anyone that doesn't feel comfortable doing it, go see a machine shop or call up Hughes and get their modified kegger.

The pictures are property of robert97dodge, from DTO, during his modification of his manifold (I don't claim them as my own and will remove them if requested - I'm gonna PM him over there with a link to this thread).

Attachments

#12 ·
hmm well looks like im going to cut up some scrap at the shop lol lots of 318/360s

#14 ·
let me know how the Hughes Plenum kit works for you.

#17 ·
Fellaz, while the M1 will improve performance, in some states, like here in Cali, it'll flunk the visual when the smog nazis do their testing. With a modded kegger, Hughes or otherwise, they wont know it's modded just by looking. I'm going the modded kegger route. Just my $.02

#18 ·
JD770 said:
Do you have engine pics?
I don't have any pics of my engine right now. Are you just wanting to see what the M1 looks like on the 318? If so I can take some pics for you. Just let me know.

Later, :gr_patrio
Gamester

#21 · (Edited)
Here you go JD770. Please excuse the dirtiness ;) It rained a couple of days ago and I haven’t washed the engine yet. Hope these are what you’re looking for.

Gamester

Click on pics to enlarge:

#23 ·
Yea, my MP1 did cost me about $365. I got it from Mancini Racing...

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/newmagsinpla2.html

...which is actually cheaper than most other places that have it, such as Jegs and Summit Racing.

I installed mp MP1 the same time as my R/T cam...

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/mag52l59lhyd1.html

... and my R/T heads...

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/martcairheas.html

So, I noticed quite a bit of top end power that came alive.

I used to only be able to barley make it past 90MPH, now I have trouble staying under it :D

I think the MP1 had a lot to do with that extra top end, so yea I believe it was worth it.

I'm still planning on getting some 4.56 gears next summer to help restore my shattered low end power though ;)

Gamester

#24 ·
Gamester said:
Yea, my MP1 did cost me about $365. I got it from Mancini Racing...

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/newmagsinpla2.html

...which is actually cheaper than most other places that have it, such as Jegs and Summit Racing.

I installed mp MP1 the same time as my R/T cam...

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/mag52l59lhyd1.html

... and my R/T heads...

http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/martcairheas.html

So, I noticed quite a bit of top end power that came alive.

I used to only be able to barley make it past 90MPH, now I have trouble staying under it :D

I think the MP1 had a lot to do with that extra top end, so yea I believe it was worth it.

I'm still planning on getting some 4.56 gears next summer to help restore my shattered low end power though ;)

Gamester

ever dyno-ed?

you should.

#25 ·
Nope, I have never run my truck on a dyno before. I don't even know of anyone/shop that has one for me to run it on.

If I had to ball park it I’d say that it is probably in the neighborhood hood of 300HP at the wheels. Like I said, that’s just a guess.

What I eventually want to do is get a 360c.i. block and install the Hughes Engines 426c.i. stroker kit. Then I would be hauling major a$$ :drivingz: :D

Gamester

#26 ·
Gamester said:
If I had to ball park it I’d say that it is probably in the neighborhood hood of 300HP at the wheels. Like I said, that’s just a guess.
I would guess 245-255rwhp depending on which heads you have. (1.92-2.02)
Nice video btw ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.