DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cost of tune up

34K views 28 replies 12 participants last post by  ShortBus 
#1 ·
My 2004 ram 4 x 4 with the 5.7 hemi needs it's 30,000 mile tune up, what should I expect to spend at the locale dodge dealer, makes me nervous when they say they have to call back with the est. I would think a tune up cost would be pretty easy to give a ball park fiqure on.

thanks

#2 ·
I wouldn't go to that dealer for mech repairs, obviously the service manager doesn't know anything about a HEMI and when he's asking the mechanic ( who by the way would do the work ) also doesn't know how long cause he ain't never done one.
Find some one , somewhere else, who cares and knows what they are doing.

#3 ·
well the 30k service if done at the dealer would be around 700-800..

i only had them do my tranny and Diff service since i knew my rear end had to be replaced and i got away without paying for the service for it under my warranty..

i did the oil myself and a local shop that i trust do my plugs (130.00)

#4 ·
Please let me know what this involves. I'm new to the Ram family adn that does kind of scare me a bit too. SHould I start saving now in a secret account to afford the future feeding of my new truck?

#5 ·
Man, are the dealers a bunch of mouth-breathing knuckle-draggers??!!! You need plugs (MAYBE), tranny-fluid change, diff fluid change, air fliter (maybe). The plugs will run you less than $40 (if you do it yourself, <$300 if you pay a qualified shop), all the other stuff is easy enough to DIY.

#6 ·
JohnMcD348 said:
Please let me know what this involves. I'm new to the Ram family adn that does kind of scare me a bit too. SHould I start saving now in a secret account to afford the future feeding of my new truck?

if your comfortable enough with your skill, you can always give it a shot, if you look around on this site you can find most of the DIY info you would need. If not I would pay a professional to do it what you cant, but not the dealer.. just keep records of all the work you had done in case you need that info for your warranty issues

#7 ·
I just did all the 30,000 miles stuff on my truck. There was no way I was paying the dealer $700-$800 to change plugs and fluids. I was leary about doing the plugs myself, and called around and it costs $250 to have the plugs changed. I spent less than $40 and did it myself.

#8 ·
quiet, I was sondering how long it took you to get it done. Are any of the plugs hard to get to? Do you perhaps remember the torque that you used?

Does anyone know how much tranny fluid is required. What about the tranny filter? Is it hard to get too?

I noticed that my gas mileage is slupming off a little and it is time for a tune up so hopefully this helps.

#9 ·
skiddymo said:
quiet, I was sondering how long it took you to get it done. Are any of the plugs hard to get to? Do you perhaps remember the torque that you used?

Does anyone know how much tranny fluid is required. What about the tranny filter? Is it hard to get too?

I noticed that my gas mileage is slupming off a little and it is time for a tune up so hopefully this helps.
it took me about 2-1/2 hours to change my plugs and rotate my tires. I read on here where somebody said to take the front wheels and liners off and you could easily get to the back plugs - there were correct!!! In fact you can easily get to all the plugs that way while sitting on a stool instead of leaning over the front of the truck.

Here is a how to on changing the plugs in the hemi. Very good read.....used the exact same tools and it went great. I used the stock champion plugs because I was able to get them for $1.77 each.
Spark plug how to

Now I didn't do all the maintenance in one day. I spread it out over a couple weekends :thatfunny However there is also a how to on changing the fluid in the rear differential - I also used this - very good write up.
Rear Differential How To

If you have a 4x4 the front differential is harder to get to so I used a pump to change the fluid.

As for the transmission. The service schedule doesn't call for anything until 60,000 miles.

#11 ·
MikeHTally said:
My manual says 30K for the tranny. It took a bit over seven quarts of Valvoline ATF+4 (plus the two filters, of course). It's a messy job, but not hard to do. Saved a c-note or so doing it myself.
What year is your truck? I have an 05 and I recently got the service manual and it is def. 60,000.

I'm not saying you are wrong, just wondering if they changed it from year to year

#12 ·
in my 04 it said to do a tranny service

#14 ·
Not only does my 05 manual call for a trans fluid change at only 60k, it also states, "This applies only if the vehicle is used for frequent trailer towing, snowplowing, fleet vehicle or commercial service." So servicing at 30k seems like overkill, unless your PT warranty will be voided if you do not service it at 30k.

#15 ·
Got the est. from the dealer. Over $1000!!!!!!!! Told him I wasn't buying a new truck. Went to mech who has done work on my vette. He said he would do everything (tune up plus change fluids) for less then $500. Said the changing of the plugs is a waste of money, but said if it made me feel better he would do it.

#16 ·
Had mine serviced at 41,000 at my local service station I trust and included:
Champion Plugs
Front & Rear with Amsoil
Trans with both filters and Amsoil
Amsoil oil change and Fram Filter
Ceramic front brake replacment (trued rotors)

$900, felt it was worth it, getting old and have no sons

#17 ·
dlcross said:
Got the est. from the dealer. Over $1000!!!!!!!! Told him I wasn't buying a new truck. Went to mech who has done work on my vette. He said he would do everything (tune up plus change fluids) for less then $500. Said the changing of the plugs is a waste of money, but said if it made me feel better he would do it.

well if its 500.00 with the spark plug change, I would do it.. If you ever run into an issue down the road you dont want to have a problem regarding warranty issues.. if its 500.00 for the full 30k service, its not a bad price if you dont want to do the work yourself... make sure they check the rear diff for loose metal

#18 ·
ink0433 said:
well if its 500.00 with the spark plug change, I would do it.. If you ever run into an issue down the road you dont want to have a problem regarding warranty issues.. if its 500.00 for the full 30k service, its not a bad price if you dont want to do the work yourself... make sure they check the rear diff for loose metal
I agree. because like I said most places charge $250 just to do the plugs. After doing it myself, its not that hard to do, just time consuming.

#19 ·
Thanks for your help fellas. I think I might be a little over 60K but I will be getting to it soon. I will be hoping for a day when it at least the heat indes is in the low to mid 90's. But I doubt that will happen. What about plug wires? Are there advantages or disadvantages to going to a shorty? Is one brand better than the other? I was thinking that an average price set is what I was going to get. But if there is a huge difference then I would look into getting a more expensive set. Could someone maybe give me a little insite on wires? Thanks.

#20 ·
That's good to know stuff. I grew up helping my dad fix our cars and I drove a Triumph Spitfire for my first 3 years until some Ahole drained my radiator thinking he was funny......I spent alot of my days working on that little British 4banger keeping it going, I even rebuilt the engine once in the front yard(before the radiator got tapped).

So I think it shouldn't be that much of a problem, just time consuming to change the plugs myself. I've still got around 28K miles to psych myself up for the job and I'll definitely lookinto removeing the skirts and front tires too. I drive a 1500 4x4 MegaCab so I think I'll have a pretty good position to work from.

#21 ·
quietpeen said:
What year is your truck? I have an 05 and I recently got the service manual and it is def. 60,000.

I'm not saying you are wrong, just wondering if they changed it from year to year
I think they did change it, but I thought it was in a later year, like '07.
Mine's an '03 545-RFE. The manual says change the fluid and flat filter every 30K and the spin-on every other change. Means I'll do mine again (flat filter only) in about four years. :)

#22 ·
dlcross said:
Changing the plugs IS NOT a waste of money. Time to find someone else to work on the 'Vette. $500 is too much anyway.

#23 ·
Just got done changing the spark plugs!!! Took 2-1/2 hrs, just like Bill 9009 said it would on his how to!!! Spent 45 min. on rear passenger side plugs. What a pain!!!!!! Overall went real smooth about the only thing Bill 9009 left out was the pillow to put on the bumper. Hard on the Knees until I put one over it!!!! Went to the dodge dealer and got the original est. $280 to have the plugs done other $800 was changing fluids. About $200 of the est. was for stupid things like power steering flush! $70, Fuel flush $90, brake inspection, $43, oil change, alignment and rotation of tires. Dumb of them to put that stuff in there, chased me away!! Anyway put the bosh platinum +2 plugs in. $85.00 @ advanced auto. Fiqured I put $200 into my own pocket by staying home today. Time for a cold one or several!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.