DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

rear main oil seal

3K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  chefred112 
#1 ·
2008 dodge ram 1500 rear main oil seal leaking, do you remove the trans or drop the oil pan and go from there can anyone help me thank you.

#2 ·
You have to drop the tranny. Haven't heard of anyone having problem's with the rear main seal. Where are you seeing the oil?

#3 ·
I'm seeing the oil just in front of the trans bell housing where it connects to the engine, it is leaking at the bottom of the housing where the two connect. i check the oil pan no problems there, i had to add 2 1/2 qts of oil, so far the other day, i read that i could go through the oil pan area after i remove the pan and oil pump to gain access to the rear seals,is this true or like you said i have to remove the tranny.

#4 ·
To be honest with you, i have never had to replace one. Just to make sure i looked in the manual to check. Yes you can do it through the oil pan area, but you will have to remove a main cap and mabe loosen another. (seal is 2 pcs.) Before you go through all this trouble there is one other place to check that may be a possible cause. I also found oil leaking at the trans. support brace,(were the bellhousing meet's the block) also on the trans. pan and thought my rear main was leaking. After a couple time's checking it what i found was, the front crank seal was the problem. The oil was running along the top of the oil pan lip and coming out of the small hole in the trans. support brace. Take a look at the front crank seal and see if it's wet. If so this could be your problem. If your lucky and the front seal is your problem, it will be a whole lot easier to replace.

#5 ·
hey thanks for the info i never thought of that, just as you said i hope it's the front crank seal. will get back to you on this for a heads up. i also check with another auto shop on replacing the rear main seal, labor $ 375.00 plus parts. thats not to bad of a cost compare to the others.

#6 ·
ok i removed the drive shaft disconnect the trans,i used a trans jack to whole it up, i made sure when i removed the trans and the torque converter as one unit, on the drive shaft i mark the yokes and also i remove the crank shaft position sensor which is located at the rear of the engine block near the drive shaft , i mark the converter and drive plate to make sure the balance is the same when i put it back on, and i disconnect everything else the was connected to the trans. man there is a lot of stuff connected to the trans anyway i removed the flywheel along with the drive plate i mark those to to make sure i put it back in the same position. i pryed out the oil seal clean the seal bore then i lubricate the new seal with clean engine oil and put it in,and then i put everything back this took me over 5 hrs while doing this on my back, i know i save a few hundred bucks but if this ever happens again i'll take it into a shop lol. i want to thank y'all for your in put on this THANKS.

#7 ·
was that the problem? could you tell it was leakin from there? yea, i've done that many of times taking my tranny out on my back..

#8 ·
i first i did not know where it was leaking. i really thought it was the trans because of where the oil was coming out from the bottom of the trans bell housing where it was connected to the engine, but then i check the engine oil dip stick and saw i was low on oil so i put two and two together and knew that it was the rear main seal was leaking out through the bottom of the trans bell housing gasket. i bought a manual for the truck and from the info on here i got some great info to do it myself. and the rest is history lol.

#9 ·
hmmm..nice to know..I'll have to smell the fluid at bottom of bellhousing and see whether thats tranny or motor oil...where in Cali are you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.