DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Compressor mounting spots??

7K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  bnii 
#1 · (Edited)
Where are you guys mounting your compressors?

My setup is a 200psi viair compressor, 5 gallon tank.

I've had mine mounted sideways on the inside of the frame where the spare tire is supposed to be. After about a year and a half it just died on me last week. I have the filter ran over the fuel tank, rarely even ran it(maybe twice a month sometimes more if I have to air up tires), never ran it in the rain or when it's wet out. So my guess is because of how it was mounted it didn't last long. It was a viair compressor but unsure of the model but did have a 200psi rating. I have another but plan to get mounting location opinions and ideas to make this one last longer.

One idea I had throwing around my head was building a small steel box and spraying it with bedliner and mounting it in the bed. Hoping to make it as weather resistant as I can. Is that over doing it? I just don't want to keep buying $200 compressors ever year and a half. Any input would help.

Thanks

#3 ·
There is one guy on here that mounted his behind his front bumper ontop of a aluminum plate (like between the frame rails)

#6 ·
I also looked into doing this but my train horns are in the way and if I moved it back any further I would not be able to get to my oil filter.

#5 ·
Yeah I thought about a chest type toolbox but didn't want to spend too much on it. Ill have too keep my eye out on a used one.

#7 ·
Did you try spraying some lube down the vent hose? The Viairs are good compressors, but if you don't use them enough (sounds like your case) they tend to lock up after a little while. Just like a car motor, it's better for them to be used and not sit. Those compressors won't get hurt being mounted where you had yours mounted, putting them in a box would probably make the situation worse because there won't be any chance of the motor getting cooler air to it.

I had my battery, compressor, 5 gallon tank, and 4 valves mounted behind my front bumper.

#8 ·
I shot some lube in the compressors head and let it set for a hour but no luck. I used a test light and the hot wire has power going into the motor. Made sure I had a good ground but no luck there either.

I checked behind my bumper while I was under there and there is no way ill have room for my tank, compressor, and train horns and still be able to get my oil filter off and let it drain. It was a good idea but just won't work for me.

#9 ·
I had the same thing happened to mine,I have mine mounted up front behind the bumper and water got into the unit and it just stopped working.I pulled it a part and open it and cleaned it out with some WD-40 and put it back together with some silicone around the joints,then i sprayed plastic dip over the whole casing but not the cooling fins and it's never fail me again,4 years and counting.....

#10 ·
I have mine up front behind my bumper,3 train horns,compressor,and air tank..you can fit it for sure,I'll post some photos when I get a chance.... I have plenty of room to change the oil filter and so on.....

#11 ·
I use a york engine driven comoressor as my primary compressor, but I have an air zenith mounted inside the fram rail in the rear near the notch where the gas tank used to be as a back up. It only fires up once every couple months. These compressors are designed to be sealed but if moisture sits it can cause them to bind up. Easy to take apart and clean up. I've been lucky and had no problems but I've had to fix a few other people's.

#12 ·
I mounted my compressor behind the drivers side headlight. This was the best place for me to put it as it was up out of the way so it wouldn't get damaged and stay mostly out of water and mud when I offroad, and the air inlet if mounted high up in the fender by the battery.

#13 ·
My tank and compressor USED to be in my toolbox but after needing more room in the toolbox several times, I deiced to move it.

I took a piece of stainless from work and bent it to fit between the frame rails and mounted it in front of the radiator (I have a body lift). I mounted the compressor and tank to it and my horns mounted where my spare tire used to be (no spare because my current rims and tires are so big)

There are pics in my gallery links

#14 ·
Interested in onboard air as well. Does anyone make an engine driven compressor for our trucks?

#15 ·
York. bnii stated he uses one.

#16 ·
When I get air I will build a box to hold everything and mount it where the spare tire is.

#17 · (Edited)
Bnii, would you mind posting pics and info on your setup? Very interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.