DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rear View Cam on 2013 RAM

6K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  newmarketEOD 
#1 ·
On the 2013's that come with it, are they putting the rear view cam in the tailgate handle like the 2012? I had Dodge install mine after the fact and they used a license plate frame camera.... cheesy none the less. I would've taken it to Cartoys if I wanted it to be sub par.

#4 ·
I have the license plate cam and prefer it over the handle mount. You can see more to the rear than with the handle-mounted cam.

#7 ·
Im not too concerned about the ability to back things up... I do get that it views down on the hitch would make sense for hooking things up, but not that important.

Ive had a license plate frame thats worked great. Im just worried about the wife backing up into cars in parking lots :)

#8 ·
I like the cam in the handle. Not only can you see your hitch when hooking up to a trailer, but you can see pretty much the whole bumper, and judge how close you are to something.

#9 ·
Sounds like Im going to be stuck with an aftermarket license plate frame cam for at least a couple months.

Dealer is doing the install at no charge, so if I want to go the stock route down the road I'll probably have to come out of pocket for it....

Thanks again for all the feedback

#10 ·
can you not just let the dealer install the camera and move it up to the handle yourself?
You could extend the wires if you needed to i suppose. i'm sure somewhere sells a handle mounting kit which i think is just a retainer ring to hold it in place. Or you could let the dealer do the wiring, buy your own camera and plug their wiring into it, mounting it to the tailgate handle

#11 ·
So I spent all day Friday at the dealer while they had someone try to install an aftermarket license plate frame cam... none the less.. they couldnt get it to work because they dont have adapters for it and couldnt figure out where it plugged into, so I have this license plate frame cam thats not hooked up or working. Awesome.

I guess Chrysler said that you have to order it from the manuf. will all the bells and whistles you want installed... pretty odd.

I tried to get running boards (aluminum) ones and they dont even list them from Mopar as an accessory, they're replacement parts that come off ones that come from the factory with it and they run $600 for each side.

#12 ·
That's a line of BS if you ask me... I added the camera and lock and the remote lock in the tailgate on my last truck. The frame kit is just a universal kit... they tried to cheap out on it.

#14 ·
When I was researching adding an OEM BU cam to my '12 the dealer and everyone I asked said it could not be added after the fact. That's why I went with the Lockpick and I'm glad I did because it offers more features you can't get with the OEM setup.

#16 ·
I've considered going with the lockpic as well... running a dual camera setup with it too. But just never did get around to it before. But at the same time, I like to try and get as clean and OEM looking as I can with things.

#17 · (Edited)
Factory Backup Cam (in handle) works well. Allows you to see straight down on the bumper so you can park right against anything (as long as you don't mind the screeching of the park aid sensors when you forget to turn it off)

Satellite Radio is now XM. Previous was Sirius so had to get a new account since they are not the same even though they are the same. wtf??

#19 ·
Satellite Radio is now XM. Previous was Sirius so had to get a new account since they are not the same even though they are the same. wtf??
Actually, it is SiriusXM now. All one company.

#18 ·
I had a camera mounted on my bumper of my last truck, where a ball would have went. It worked perfect there for me because I always keep a receiver in my hitch. The ball showed up right in the center at the bottom of the picture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#21 ·
One huge drawback i used to see with the old license plate mount camera was that the license plate lights made it almost not usable at night time

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.