DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

rough idle

2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  mmkkpro 
#1 ·
Got a 97 dak 3.9,have checked for vac leaks,no check engine lights are on,is it possible to put a carb on this engine,i know carbs,fuel injection is alien to me im old xschool seems like to much crap to go wrong with FI,give me a 1970 440 in happy

#2 ·
idle

For the idle, i would get new gas and use gas treatment with it (seafoam). I would then check for a blown intake gasket, the belly pan gaskets on the 5.2 and 5.9's are known for blowing out. Not sure on the mechanics of the 3.9, but something to look at. Also, change the plugs, wires, cap rotor-button, and coil. Cant hurt. Anything else would be guessing by me, im not familiar with the 3.9, these suggestions are just basic knowledge. Hope this helps.

#3 ·
rough idle,no power

thanks,today i pulled all plugs found 2nd plug on passenger side wet,did compression test and all cylinders tested at 125 psi,so i am in process of changing cap rotor and putting accel super stock 7mm wires on too.I have ran seafoam through it,no change,cleaned iac valve and port.So soon as i get these wires made got to custom make them will give another report,ive got a 1993 full size gmc with a 4.3 and it will run circles around this dakota,im not knocking my dakota i really like it but its a dog right now.

#4 ·
ok report time today i put an accel super coil on the truck pulled the number 4 plug wet with gas no surprise,cleaned plug put it back in ran some carb cleaner through my pcv valve cant get it out checked over the engine for loose conections found none put air intake system back on started engine still had a skip,so took it for a test drive by the time i got around the block idle had risen to 1400 from 900 skip is gone,idled it back down running on all cylinders now but im still suspect something is still wrong,seems it runs much better when its hot than cold,i suspect possible small head gasket leak and belly pan gasket,but the skip is gone for now so im happy,ive used sodium silicate to seal head gaskets in the past works great,im learning my dodge i really like the truck want to fix her up mabey v8,anybody got a 1970 440 laying around?id settle for 360,im definately going back old school on it asap,i like carburators and msd ignitions simple and run great,thanks to all that helped me im sure ill be back soon

#5 ·
drove truck to pittsburgh from morgantown wv 160 total miles used whole tank of gas ran like crap,pulled #4 plug its dry now but something else is wrong zero power,ive had it going old school goin to save some money find a 1970s 318 carb reg ignition and puttin it in,they can take all these sensors,computers and trash them,it takes an aerospace enenginer to find the problems on these things simple is best,compression ,gas ,spark it runs period

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.