DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

start up high idle?

50K views 102 replies 22 participants last post by  RubberFrog 
#1 ·
i just got an 08 1500 with the hemi a couple weeks ago, whats with the high idle on start up? cold start it goes up to 1500rpms, fan is on making all kinda noise, it will slowly drop down eventually to 6-700 or so, i would think thats not good for a cold engine going that high immediatley, and more suprising even on a hot start, i can drive all day in the heat, stop for a few minutes, re-start and it goes up to 1200 or so, slowly comes down, im already droping it in gear by then though, practically chearping the tires, in my stone driveway anyway, haha, anyway this just seems totally uneccessary and kind of rediculous, is there anyway to adjust that to either eliminate it or just have it go to 8-900 or something when cold? 1500 is crazy imo

#2 ·
mine does the same, I have stock program and superchips. maybe someone else may chime in,but I think that it is normal.

#3 ·
mine hits 900 rpm for like 5 sec then will hover around 750 for a bit, then goes down to 640rpm normal idle. I love hearing it start up and idling sounds fkn badass, i woudnt want it any otherway.

#4 ·
Man, if your sitting there idling at 1500 rpms, must go through some gas? Maybe one of your load sensors is f***** up, alt, air, power steering, etc.

#5 ·
You might try the 'hard dump' reset of the computer; take you time and do it right.
==================================================

First, disconnect positive+ battery cable at the battery and ground it to the chassis. Yes, the POSITIVE CABLE.

Wait a few seconds, 30 won't kill ya.

Now reconnect the positive cable. Careful, no sparks now.

Get in the vehicle, turn ignition key to on (run) position, now depress fully and release the gas pedal 5 times to set the TPS to WOT. (Make sure the floor mats do not keep the pedal from going WFO)

Turn the key to off, wait a min, and you should have cleared everything in the ECU except for the factory programming.
=============================================

The hard dump does not effect the (factory) alarm, the only thing I noticed is my radio presets, as this method came from a working Chrysler tech, I doubt if there are any negative effects.

:)

#6 ·
Mine has done it since new..

I actually asked the service advisor two weeks ago when I had mine in having it checked out for some funny shifts. He said its perfectly normal, mine does it whether its -20 or 85 above, but only after its been sitting for more than about 4 hours. Mine sits about 1400 for 2-3 minutes and then it finally drops back down. I have been afraid I was going to take out the u-joints, but they keep telling me everything is fine.

#9 ·
I actually asked the service advisor two weeks ago when I had mine in having it checked out for some funny shifts. He said its perfectly normal, mine does it whether its -20 or 85 above, but only after its been sitting for more than about 4 hours. Mine sits about 1400 for 2-3 minutes and then it finally drops back down. I have been afraid I was going to take out the u-joints, but they keep telling me everything is fine.
mine will go up to 1200 or so even just sitting for a minute or two after warmed up, goes to the 1500 after a while of sitting like you say, i love the truck but i hate this aspect of it, i see no reason what so ever

#7 ·
It's an 06+ thing.

#8 ·
normal or not i dont like it, 1500 is rediculous i think, 900 id live with, be kinda cool then, maybe i will try the reset thing, im planing to do a mbrp exhaust kit possibly end of this week, should i wait till aftet that? arent you supposed to reset the computer anyway after doing sh&t like that? ie. exhaust or high flow aircleaner....

#57 ·
, im planing to do a mbrp exhaust kit possibly end of this week, ....
You're gonna LOVE that MBRP exhaust. Great sound. Deep. Not obnoxiously loud but loud enough when you get on it. Pretty mellow when cruising or at idle.

Oh yeah...my 08 has a bit of a high idle at start up too, but settles down...especially once you put it in gear. Sometimes the fan is a little noisy but it goes away after a few hundred feet of driving.

#11 ·
Yep. It is what it is. A 1500 idle isn't harmful. Annoying, but not harmful.

#12 ·
Frog is right; it's not going to hurt a thing. I didn't think to ask last night; when was the last time the TB was pulled and cleaned? I still believe a good cleaning and reset would help.

:imo

#13 ·
TB? throttle body? forgive my ignorance, i didnt think it has a throttle body, its fuel injected right? i just got the thing a couple weeks ago, has 23k on it, was a one owner truck is all i know, the dealer serviced it and certified it, so basically i guess they changed oil and called it good:), so i dont know about maintanance....it is annoying more than anything harmful, once my exhaust is done its going to be louder, which will be great, except at 4 in the moring when i leave for work, my wife and the few houses next to us wont like it, will be kind of embarrising, they will thing im revving it up on purpose or somthing, this morning as a test i just dropped it in gear right away and used the parking brake to hold it, it went down to 900 or so, left it there for half minute or so then when back to neutral, it stayed at 900, didnt go back up, so thats an option i guess, not the best for any of the parts involved i guess....im curious if the supertuner guys can add a feature to adjust that somehow, i want to get one eventually but if i could do something with this idle crap id get one tomorrow, i think the fan coming on during a cold start makes no sense either, but if the idle wasnt as high that wouldnt be as bad

#16 ·
TB? throttle body? forgive my ignorance, i didnt think it has a throttle body, its fuel injected right? …..
Sorry about that … Sometimes I use abbreviations in the threads and I need to be a little more mindful with the newer members. Yes; TB is short for Throttle Body. The Dodge engine has port injections; the injector is located just above the intake valve. There’s a ‘how to’ on the TB cleaning and it’s an easy project for anyone. Use brake cleaner, like it says in the thread, and you’ll be surprised just would easy the job is. If you don’t want to do the ‘hard dump’ type reset, I would at least disconnect the negative cable while you clean the TB. That’s an easier way to reset the computer, a good safety measure while you work, and you need the reset after you clean the TB any way. As for a good tuner, the Superchips Programmer is great for stock trucks.

I'll see if I can find the 'how to' thread ... :D

#14 ·
Mine does it on my 04 with Diablo so i would also say it is normal. However, I do agree it is annoying and the next tune I get written i will have mine lowered.

#17 ·
#19 ·
well i tried the hard reset, not sure if i had it grounded, thought i did, the radio clock was messed up but presets still stayed in memory, anyway still went to high idle 1400, i tried my trick though and droped it in gear and held with brake for a few seconds, goes down to 900 or so, then went back to neutral and stayed at 900, went to park and stayed there, so i think thats a way to get it down some, kinda half assed, but in the morning if i want to let it warm up for a minute or so id rather do that and have it at 900.....

#20 ·
You're down to the TB being dirty or maybe the inlet idle solenoid. I would hope this isn’t something that normal for this model year. If it is the ‘norm’, I believe I’d being on the computer sending someone like Hemifever (Sean) a PM. Maybe he could set you up with a programmer that has custom tune that with help with your idle.

#21 ·
My 4.7 does it when it's cold in the morning. I cleaned the throttle body (which really wasn't dirty) and it still does it. I don't really think it's a big deal since it settles down soon enough. Just wakes up the 6 year old earlier than she needs to be up when I leave for work with the exhaust.

#22 ·
My 2008 5.7 does it also, as soon as you fire it up, right up to around 1500.

As said it's not really a big deal, just loud in the mornings, need to make my exhaust louder so I don't just hear 20 fans going strong in the morning.

#23 ·
wish i could post a vid, but i cant even post pics with this not so nice htc touch pro 2 bs. fkn badass shit, been like that since i rewired have the dam truck. maybe check your coolant sensor wiring, maybe burning up touchin the block. more resistance or something, or try rewiring with some usa wires that have thicker insulator.

#25 ·
If one more person suggests he perform some maintenance item or check a sensor... The high idle on startup is NORMAL!

It doesn't matter what your 02-05 does, or what your custom tune does, or what your neighbor's cousin's best friend's lesbian lover's does... high idle on startup is normal for 06+. Dodge programmed it that way from the factory. The same way they programmed all the other crappy stuff like poor throttle response and bad shifts.

#28 · (Edited)
OK, I went out to the truck with the camcorder and filmed the cold start on my truck. Everyone here has said so many different things that the water getting kinda muddy. This file should give us a good baseline for what is normal. Now, we can say ... OK, my '06 runs like that but 100 or 200 above that. I cleaned the TB while Sam was working on my truck and the air filter was cleaned this past weekend. The truck has been setting since Saturday. I used the remote to roll down the windows and I’m setting in the backseat. You’ll see me start and stop the truck with the remote. I thought the security system would be the best impersonal and impartial way to start the truck. If it's not a problem; great. If there's something going on here, we can help. Let not start a pissing contest and make matters about something other that what the thread question is about.

#29 ·
I wathced mine aswell, and you are right I guess it is around 1500 but within 45 seconds tops it drops way down I dont understand why this is such a big deal.

Frog I think you and I need a drink....or 2.....or 5

#32 ·
Huh? That video pretty much shows it. The idle spikes on start up, and then starts dropping down over time. Perfectly normal.

Was that a "true" cold start, or just sitting since you drove to wherever you're at?

I haven't driven my truck since yesterday. I'll go vid my start up real quick. brb

#31 ·
The noise of the pipes is part of the secuity system!

:imo

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.