DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2005 Magnum rocker panels

12K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  PAINE 
#1 ·
Has anyone had a problem getting the correct rocker panels for a 2005 Magnum? When I order a black right side rocker panel from the dealer or the Mopar parts online OEM collision catalog, what they ship is both the left and right unpainted rockers panels. These panels will not fit my Magnum. All I can get from their so called customer service is; “The part may look different but it should fit,” “ We have a request into Chrysler to see if they have run into this before,” and “We have sold a lot of this particular set and have never run into a problem.” The OEM catalog shows pre-painted rocker panels for the 2005, but only unpainted rockers for the 2006 and 2007 models so there must be a difference. If someone has run into this before, let me know how you resolved the problem...

Thanks

#4 ·
The part number that they are giving me for my V.I.N. is 68034806AA .

See attached photos for the difference in the original part and the replacement part.
The replacement part was shipped unpainted and I had it painted before I made sure that it would fit. My bad. It is not yet resolved.

Attachments

#5 ·
Rocker Cladding

OK here we go,that part# you have is the rite one.What they have done is had a change up,the new part is shorter to give a lil more gound clearance.They say it is not noticable once it's installed.When we replaced ours it never came painted had to have dealer paint it.Hope this is of some help..Good Luck.:)B

#7 ·
OK here we go,that part# you have is the rite one.What they have done is had a change up,the new part is shorter to give a lil more gound clearance.They say it is not noticable once it's installed.When we replaced ours it never came painted had to have dealer paint it.Hope this is of some help..Good Luck.:)B

They did that because of clearance. The bottom is now unsupported? Is my guess. It should fit on the top side right? Its the bottom that doesnt mount? Prolly for some give.
Mine came unpainted in june of 05 for a 06 model. I bottomed out in my driveway. Hehehe.

#6 ·
Not only is it “shorter,” but it is stepped, and it is short in the center section to the point that if the lower lip of the part is engaged over the pinch weld (lower spot-welded body seam,) the upper clips will not fasten and hold properly. You can force the clips in by compressing the rocker panel, but when the panel tries to return to its original molded shape, the clips try to disengage and the upper part of the panel will gap or the molded in clips will break. The pinch weld is not stepped and runs horizontally on the vehicle forward to aft. Does Dodge expect the customer to take a cutting wheel and trim the pinch weld to fit this P.O.S. molded part? If so, is there a service bulletin (TSB) that addresses this? These are the questions that I have asked Moparpartsamerica.com and they are waiting for Chrysler to address this. They are both headed for my all-time worst customer service on the planet award.

I am 70 miles from the nearest Dodge dealer with a body shop or they would have it.

Did your dealer trim the pinch weld to fit the part ? If not, is the upper part of the molding securely fastened to you vehicle ?

Anyway, thanks for your input...

#9 ·
I do not have it resolved yet but will have an insurance adjuster look at it later this week and turn it over to a body shop to let them deal with it. When they do get the correct part or find a fix, I will post and provide the correct part number etc. for other early 2005 Magnum owners.

#10 ·
Just had both of my 2005 Magnum Rocker Panels replaced because right one got crushed going over bump. Came as a pair so the dealership replaced both. Horrible installation. Fitment and gaps between rocker panels and door bottoms are unacceptable.

I Just left dealership and will be calling service manager tomorrow to resolve.

If anyone has had good luck with these replacements please share what happened. :cuss:

#11 ·
The new rocker panels are not designed to install like the old rockers. The lower lip of the old rocker panel goes over (engages) the pinch weld for the entire length of the pinch weld. On the new panels, only the forward and aft portion of the rocker lower lip goes over the pinch weld. The center section of the lip just butts up against the pinch weld. A simple note with the new part would have removed any installation confusion...

#16 ·
Look at the lower (bottom) center section of the rocker panel. If the lower lip of the rocker panel wraps around the pinch weld (body seam), the dealer did not install it correctly. The center section for the new rocker simply butts up against the pinch weld.

My body guy learned this the hard way on a Chrysler 300C, same brilliant redesign with no instructions supplied with the new part or service bulletins issued...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.