DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

my ram has been rammed

42K views 267 replies 51 participants last post by  dmcelhannon 
#1 ·
i was involved in a head on collison on monday. two lane road with concrete barriers. when a large beverage company truck grabbed my right front quarter panel and hit me head on. that truck was over 15 k pounds vs the 5100 pnds of the hemi. that cab inside is what saved my life. i have been in a hospital for 5days. major trauma to my left arm it shattered. blew my elbow out it was somewhere in the cab. still have a long road ahead and still not out of the wood yet for my arm. i will not tell anyone what company hit me because of the outcome this will become. i will have more pictures this week when i go out to see the truck on monday.

i am proud i was in a ram it saved my life by far. i will be in a 4 th gen soon very soon:thatfunny

Attachments

See less See more
#55 ·
The doctor did tell me I cant drive a stick anymore. So i may have to get rid of the SRT next year. But i am holding out to see where my arm therapy goes and how much I get back.
Hey bud, just between you and me the Doc's tend to be very, very pessimistic. There is not a doubt in my mind that you will be able to shift that stick just fine, don't be too hasty, wait 6 months and see. Have faith brother.

#57 ·
X2!

You would believe what they told my folks when I was hurt in a mountain climbing accident. They told my folks it would be years and that was only if I lived though the night. By the grace of God, I was home in four weeks. Two weeks after that, I was back in school. It was hard and a long road back but I'm OK. The doctors are going to tell you the worse case scenario and then when things go better, they're happy as butter-n-toast.

Do what the doctors tell you and the machine that moves your arm really does help. My step-father had his knee replaced and they used a machine for his leg. He said it didn't hurt at all and kinda felt good. He's doing great and he doesn't have a problem out walking me.

:)

#56 ·
Seeing a picture like that, makes me want to get my Ram back on the road that much more...

Glad you're okay.

#58 ·
Add the fact that you were active, young, and strong before the accident, which makes for a better chance of moving far beyond the Doc's expectations for you. In cases such as yours, they / Docs set the bar very low, and one can see why; but it's not like you are saying I'm going to throw 90mph fast ball or something. When you're facing possibly longer than you hope recovery time, and being told what you won't be able to do. Always remember the power positive thinking, and know there will be days when your gun-ho, and others when your felling low. Best of all, you are still here to kick up a little dust my man:rck:

#60 ·
Wow! I just bought a second '06 Hemi Ram after having an accident in my first. Got hit from behind by a Ford Flex, I have a dented tailgate and bumper, his is totalled. After seeing what these trucks can take, I had to buy another.

Best of luck on the recovery. Docs do give you worst case so they don't get sued. I have faith that you'll be jamming gears with time.

Listen to your doc and your lawyer. Make sure the lawyer approves everything you post on here to preserve your case.

#61 ·
Well i had a HUGE drs meeting thursday. Good news and bad news as well. Good news is the plate has not moved in my arm. My fingers are moving more and more straight. Bad news the elbow is not healing they way they would have liked in four weeks. So I start PT on tuesday for 5x's a week for 11 weeks. After that I get rechecked and then they decide next step. If it does not get better they talked about a new elbow. Not liking that idea at all. There is a peice in my elbow head that broke and shattered somewhere in the crash. Also said if it does heal more maybe 8 to 9 months down the road go back in and take the plate out. Dont like that either to cut my scar and reopen it. Esp seeing they stiched my muscle inside and cardivascular work inside my arm. I have a torn rotor cuff but he said no reason to touch that till the elbow is figured out.

Right now no work till Feb or Mar he said. Major sucko. Cant go to the gun range or drive either. This will be week 5 coming up and its starting to get real old. But I have no choice but to follow orders because of legal things.

I think I have found a new truck will have to have it shipped to me. A 2012 LAMARINE loaded fire engine red solid with out the two tone. I found another night runner just like I had with 23K on the needle but they want ALOT for it. Said it was a special edition and some other junk. I know what it is I had one LOL.

#62 ·
Please keep us posted and try not to be discouraged. It a hard road but I'm sure you'll be OK.

#63 ·
down the road go back in and take the plate out. Dont like that either to cut my scar and reopen it. Esp seeing they stiched my muscle inside
It's kind of funny, these are the exact same arguments I used when I screwed up my right arm and they told me they had to take the plate out. No worries, they open that scar up like it had a zipper on it. I was actually awake when they did it, they did a nerve block in the nerve ganglia in my arm pit and just floated me. make sure you get the plate back it's yours you paid for it, it's titanium and makes a cool conversation piece.

#64 ·
Not only the plate but the one use only tools! You paid for them, you may as well put them in YOUR toolbox. I have a few of those little pliers they use to remove those staples they use instead stitches.

:)

#65 ·
You could mount the titanium plate in a nice display box, and tell folks it's a piece of the Terminator. ;)

Good luck with the PT and recovery! The PT can truly SUCK sometimes, but it IS worth it in the long run to get the best use of your arm back.

#66 ·
here I will post some things to make everyone laugh

plastic urinal.....78.00:gr_patrio:ugh

drill bit ( they used two).....960.00

the plate was....6840.00 ( no screws)

screws range from 1239.00 EACH to 390.00.......LOL

my new heart pill I have to take everyday.....26.00 EACH..... I filled 90 for ten bucks:ugh

water flush for IV everytime they put in a anitbiotic......89.00

Yes PT starts in the AM. Somewhat looking forward to it, after being locked at home for 5 weeks. I really am hoping the PT works and they do not have to do a artifical elbow:mad: Well we will see how the week goes with PT.

#68 ·
WOW!

#69 ·
All those items were made in the USA, that explains it! Haha, thats crazy bud - best wishes and a speedy recovery, cant make good' ol elbow grease without the real thing!

#70 ·
I started PT today on my arm. 3xs a week for 11 weeks, and this stuff SUCKS. It was a hour long today and next week it goes to two hours for the rest of the therapy. I had to do 8 simple tests today and I failed 6 of them. Long road ahead she told me today. Yea just what I wanted to hear NOT:nono. On the bright side I met a guy who was hit head one by a semi as well by the blue beverage company. He was not so lucky as I was. He has broke legs and rods and plates. So we tried to team up on days to do PT.:IDEA:

I have found a few trucks to go look at 2012 models. I figured I either buy a 12 ram now and then get a 13 when they hit next summer as well. Or go find a SRT8 charger or challenger. SO after xmas we will go out to texas and look at some trucks on the lots I found. I want a texas package they put more in them than florida.

So thats my update as of today. I am hoping PT helps my arm so I get to keep my elbow and now more surgery on it.

I still roam the forums and read. Learning alot for my new 4th gen ram when i get her.

Happy holidays to everyone out there and thanks for all the cheer as I have come this far.

K9 UNIT

#71 ·
Take care ... :)

#72 ·
Any updates

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX

#73 ·
x2

#74 ·
ok a UPDATE. I went and saw the Orthopedic Surgeon today for a two month check up on the arm. Did not go well at all, my arm is not healing where the break in the center is. It has opened up about a 1/2" and seems to be somewhat infected. So new anti biotics and xrays. I have another appt with him in a month, at that time they will decide ultimatly what to do. Worse case loose my arm below the elbow or it will get signs of healing and infection gone. My elbow still has a chunk of bone missing it has not started to heal either. Pretty sad and depressing day for to say the least.:mad:

I still can not drive or work period he made sure of that. No picking anything up in my left arm over 3 lbs. I started therapy and was kicked out because my Geico insurance was capped and I have no health insurance. I was fired from the job and they have a hardship finance program still can not get approved. Because I was honest on the form I am not legally married but live with the other for 12 years and they want to know her income. I call BS none of thier damn bussiness:nono. So I should have lied and said i live alone and I would still be in therapy.:ugh.

I feel like such a thrown away VICTOM in this by far. Still waiting on the lawyer for workers comp to egt that process started and approved so I can get some kind of relief. Pretty sad I will be 40 this month and cant drive possibly my birthday present of a new truck.

Still have a MRI next week to check the blood in my brain and see how that works out as well.

Next time I get car insurance i am gonna cap the hell out of it and max it. Sorry my phone sent the emails to my spam box. I still come around and read the forums.

Happy new year:gr_patrio

#75 ·
We still have you on our prayer chain here. I do pray this is the end of the bad news from these folks that practicing medicine.

#76 ·
Cheer up bud, its gonna be ok! My best wishes to you, and in Texas anything over 6 months is common law marriage.

#77 ·
OMG.........makes the saying "everyday is a gift" seem all to relevant!

#78 ·
wow thats insane! glad it kept ya pretty safe!

#79 ·
UPDATE. I have a DRS appt next week for a 3 month follow up. Had a meeting with the lawyers today going over medical bills. Someone had paid 165 grand on the hospital stay. It was a personal check they said with a note on the bottom of good luck with your recovery. touched my heart. The plate in my arm is a little loose so they will look at it then. So far had to file for disabilty thru social security and was granted a 65% rate. That is a start and the workers comp case seems to be going along pretty well, that I may be granted 2 years of WC at 80% of my check. And they would have to pick up my medical tab balance.

My 40th birthday is wednesday and was hoping to be driving by then. Still cant drive or work. I have found a few 4 th gen trucks and even found another night runner that has 11K on the needle. I am waiting to look at the 13 ram to see the cab and new features it offers.

Well I still read the forums just dont post on here much as i miss my RAM so much.:mad:

thanks again for a great place to get information on the ram and dodge family out there:worthy:

#80 ·
Hope you get back to normal & get you a new ram as well.

#82 ·
HEY! 40 is NOT "over the hill!" I'm 49 and I say I'm not quite halfway there yet! :D

I'm going for 100, like George Burns. Problem is, I hate cigars, and I can never get all those pretty ladies to hang around with like he did. :help:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.