DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

1500 front wheel bearing? help and opinions

18K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  BlakDak71 
#1 ·
I have a 2010 ram 1500 quadcab. it is 4wd and has the 4.7 and the truck has 92000 miles on it. I have started noticing what i would think is a front wheel bearing. changes with speed change and sounds a little worse when turning right. it sounds like it is in the drivers side and also i think i can feel it in the floorboard. sound right to you guys and if so, anybody ever fix this themselves. if not what did a mechanic charge? i usually do a lot of maintenance on my trucks and have done a couple truck builds but ive never worked or even owned a truck that isnt solid front axle so i'm in new territory.

#3 ·
Bump.

93,000? I have a 2010 myself and have 13,000.

Interested int he opinions here. I'm no mechanic, but enjoy getting information.

#5 ·
Wheel bearings are gravy. Pop the wheel off, unbolt the break caliper and hang it out of the way, remove the break rotor, remove the axle nut and beat the axle shaft loose, and there are either 3 or 4 bolts on the back of the wheel bearing to take out, and then beat it with a hammer to get it off.

#6 ·
The front wheel hubs on my '06 1500 QC 4x2 had to be replaced after 140K miles due to the bearings wearing out. Parts and labor was about $360 per side at the dealer - About $260 for the hub and $100 labor.
Firestone wanted $450, but it was lifetime warranty on the part. I went with MoPar.

#8 ·
what BlakDak said. These new wheel bearing/hub units are easy to change. More expensive then old school spindle bearings but they do last longer, 100K miles or so.

Jack up the tire, grab the top and bottom of the tire and check for play. there should be no in-and-out play. Remove the brake pads and rotate it. It'll feel gritty.

Mine went while on a long trip. What a mess.

#9 ·
I have seen them where they don't have any play but still are noisy. Easiest way to figure that out (at least on FWD's) is to hold the coil spring and have somebody spin the tire. You should be able to feel the roughness transfer through the coil spring.

#10 ·
Yeah, that's why I pull the brake pads before I spin it, without the tire. Then you can really feel it.

#12 ·
jacked the truck up and didnt feel any play on either side, also looked at brakes and the pads/rotors seemed fine. didnt have any help so im going to check by spinning the wheel tomorrow, but i was surprised when i didnt feel any slop. dont want to buy the wrong part at the price of a wheel bearing for this rig! lol

#13 ·
Noise should be the same regardless of speed. If it's louder when turning right, that should be the driver's side.

#14 ·
I don't know about the 09' and up but there is a youtube video of 02'-08' repair... watched it a few times before I replaced mine in the driveway....

#15 ·
Been a while but i finally got around to getting the wheel bearing. funny thing is, when i posted this i said it was worse when i turned right...i meant my other right! when i turn left you can hear it and kindof "feel it" in the floorboard or pedal. its not as bad when i turn right. so i was expecting the passenger hub to sound bad. went ahead and ordered passenger hub bearing assembly and this morning i lifted the truck on stands, removed both front wheels, calipers and rotors and to my surprise, the driver side sounds slightly worse and is a little harder to spin. looks like the bearings are the same for either side but i wanted a little input before i moved on. im just surprised that it would be the driver side if it isnt as bad turning toward the driver side.

#16 ·
got the bilsteins on last night, once i finished that i decided to button it up and not worry about the bearing. maybe one will show itself to be the culprit pretty soon. took it out for a drive and dont hear or feel a thing now! dont know if putting the struts on dampens it enough that i cant feel or hear it or what but im at a loss whether to keep the bearing or take it back, it did cost $210.

#18 ·
I have had odd ball ones where they howled when you take weight off them. My dad's Lesabre comes to mind. That's not a repair you want to wait for it to show itself though, it can get ugly if that bearing comes apart. By your description, I'd put the driver's side on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.