DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Broken Recirculation Door

30K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  04 1500 
#1 ·
Moved my ac from fresh air to recirculate today and heard a loud snap from the passenger side and realized I had almost no air coming through the vents. I pulled the blower motor out and found the door resting on the blower motor blocking all air flow. So I pulled the broken door out and now I have full air moving through the vents, but with the door missing I'm getting all the hot air from outside and the air isnt getting as cold as it was when I was able to recirculate it.

After I did a quick google search I found some people have been able to replace the door by pulling out the glove box. They make it sound somewhat easy-Have any of you guys done this? Is it pretty easy? What issues will I run into if I just duct tape off the fresh air inlet inside the air box so I am permanenty on recirculate?

Thanks

#2 ·
#3 ·
Happened to me. gotta take off the glove box and such then take the little motor off for the broken door then pull out this white pin in there that holds the door in (where it should be if it wasnt broken) i went to the dealer and said it was broken and they sold me a whole new unit for like 50 bucks, all i used was the door off of it tho. stuck the door up through the blower motor hole, stuck that white pin back through when i had the door in the correct position then put the little motor back on and put every thing back together. all together it took me about 45 minutes to do it and that is wihtout ever doing something like that before.

#5 ·
Thanks for the link dmcelhannon, that gives me some good pics.
SteevO, thats what I was hoping to hear. It only took me about 10 min to pull the broke door out, now I just need to go get the new one. How did you make sure the motor/door were in the right position? I noticed that the motor with no door spins 360, I don't want to install the new door and have the motor break it right way because I didn't have it timed right.
Thanks!

#8 ·
I noticed that the motor with no door spins 360, I don't want to install the new door and have the motor break it right way because I didn't have it timed right.
Thanks!
The HVAC computer that controls the doors recalibrates so it knows where the "stop" points (full open and full close) are. Unfortunately, that's how over time all the doors will eventually fail. The stop pins on the doors are plastic and will eventually crack and break. The recirc door and mode 2 door (controls the floor/defrost vents) are broken on mine.

#6 ·
honestly i really dont know how i got it right i guess i was lucky haha. i kind of just put it in and its been in for well over a year now and has been fine since then

#7 ·
Wow, I just went on the heater treater site and they make a nice product, but it is also $129 plus shiping for the 1 door. But they do have a nice pic on their site of the glove box removed for me to look at :)

#9 ·
X2 on the heater treater stuff. I had two doors broken on my 06', so i just replaced all of the doors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.