DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

4.7 vs 5.9

6K views 28 replies 12 participants last post by  jasonsdakota 
#1 ·
Alright guys I have a question, I have an 08 4.7 with level and 35s and a buddy of mine has an 00 5.9 v8 with ranch hands and 33s and we both have superchips programmers, I looked at the specs and it shows me to have more horse power and torque, is this true and who will win in a race??

#2 ·
By 2008, a 4.7 was putting out as much or more power as the old 5.9. Substantially more horsepower (around 300 versus the 5.9's 240), and about the same torque although at a higher RPM.

Gearing in the two trucks could make a difference. You did mention having bigger tires and that slows you down a bit too.

End of the day... they're both big heavy, slow trucks. Go see who can get stuck first instead.;)

#3 ·
As far as I know he has stock gears and so do I, but I think I like your idea better because that's what 4x4s are really for!!

#5 ·
that 5.9 tuned rite will monky stomp that 4.7 every day all day

#6 ·
I disagree as the 5.9 makes all of it's power down low while the 4.7 makes it higher up which is where you'll be in a race plus the 08 4.7 has 310HP/335TQ compared to the 5.9s 245HP/335TQ. Since both have the same TQ numbers they should take off the line about the same but then the HP kicks in and the 4.7 will pull away. Plus since both are tuned with SC then the 4.7 is even better off. The only reason the 5.9 would win in this case is since his 2nd Gen weighs less or if the 35s slow the 4.7 down enough

#9 ·
I had an SC tuned 5.9 and it was a night/day difference over stock. The death flash really cripples the stock 5.9. The extra weight from those bumpers will probably weight him down though as well.

#10 ·
Well I know this, we have hooked up bumper to bumper and at first I thought I was gunna be drug everywhere, but surprisingly that 4.7 with 35s grabbed and just wouldn't let go, and it was even worse once I put it in 4x4!

#11 ·
Keep in mind guys, he's a '08 4.7. It had a substantial power upgrade by then.

#13 ·
I've had both 4.7 and 5.9 with bolt on add-ons the 5.9 never lost pulling trailers and running . Numbers schumbers leave the numbers out and do real world testing then u will see the superiority of the 5.9 . Mine outran every 4.7 came its way plus I turned my 5.9 5800rpms also pulled till it shifted every time . 138 mph was max speed in 3rd gear at 4000 rpm due to speed limiter. Just my .02 and real world(not on paper) observation

#14 ·
1) you should have hit the speed limiter way before 138
2) 138 in 3rd and 4000rpm? doesnt sound right.

ive gone against a 5.9 in my old 4.7, 5.9 had more mods then i did and smaller tires. i got beat but not by much. in fact the 4.7 did better then i thought. the new 4.7 should have no problem walking the 5.9.

#15 ·
Does anyone have an idea of a 0-60 on the 5.9?

#17 ·
I had hypertech lll tune st to premium and all the limiters set high plus 3.55 gears with lt265/75-16s arm brute force intake,airraid spacer ,no cats ,cherry bomb si/do extreme to the bumper,shorty headers.
61 mph in 1st,106mph in 2nd,138mph in 3rd. 138 was the max limit on that tuner
I would smoke tires from stop sign to sign

#18 ·
And the 0-60 being a bone stock truck right, I have 35s with 20 inch rims and I clocked my 0-60 last night and I was trying to put the gas through the floor and my phone stopwatch said 9.41

#23 ·
factor in your reaction time into that 9.41 and you probably right about where his truck was brand new. its now 13 years old, probably a little tired.

Those 35s are gonna kill you because while they have added traction they also grip the road alot which makes the engine work harder to overcome it. And with that time it sounds like you have 3.55s which will hurt you as well
both trucks probably have 3.55's, and the ranch hand bumpers are HEAVY. balances out his 35's more or less.

#19 ·
Those 35s are gonna kill you because while they have added traction they also grip the road alot which makes the engine work harder to overcome it. And with that time it sounds like you have 3.55s which will hurt you as well

#20 ·
Damn you..lol I got the pre 08 4.7 that's only like 230 or whatever. You got almost 100 more ponies than I do.

I think the extra weight of your 35s vs his 33s...but with those heavy ranchhand bumpers on his....I think it will pretty much even out the weight. Then you still got quite a bit more hp than him so my money is on you.

Is your truck a reg cab or QC & what is his? Is it shortbed vs shortbed?

#21 ·
What's the pre?

#22 ·
He means the pre-2008 4.7L engine that was way less powerful than the engine you have. In 08 they introduced a new intake manifold and tuned the engine to boost it from 235 HP to 310HP

#24 ·
Oh ok it makes sense now, I didn't even know there was a difference but I'm glad I got the better end of the deal lol, I'm just gunna go balls up and race him and let y'all know what happens!

#25 ·
Plus like said before, with your newer engine it probably runs better too, better throttle response, etc...

Is it QC vs QC?

#26 ·
a tune REALLY wakes up the 5.9, especially down low. also, the better the gearing, the better the 4.7 will fare against the 5.9 so the 3.55s, the tall tires (if both were the same) really play in the 5.9s favor. although stock to stock id put money on the 4.7 for sure

#27 ·
the 5.9s are a dog even in the dakota rt

#28 · (Edited)
If the 5.9l has stock 16" rims it should win 0-60, 20" Rims slow down the 4.7l.

The 5.9l really needs a cam to shine. A 206 cam and take a inch off the intake runners, it will be a new truck.

#29 ·
yea this... put a hot cam in a 5.9, along with high flow runners, do the same with the 4.7, and the 5.9 just might win. it REALLY wakes up with mods. its huge size is just waiting to come alive!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.