DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anyone put rhino line the under carriage?

1K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  xyberz 
#1 ·
Any suggestions on this? There's already rust on the rear end and all over the stock exhuast. Good thing I'm gonna replace the exhuast in a little bit so I could care less about the rust on it. Actually I'm happy it has rust so it shows how crappy it really is. All exhuast should be stainless steel.

#4 ·
sca said:
Big 3 vehicles are rusting before they leave the factory! Wouldn't say that about a European or Japanese vehicle but within the first year you will see rust on any vehicle.
Thats because they put that putty goop on everything on the bottom that washes off after a year of use.

#7 ·
Surface rust isn't that bad but eventually it does out to full blown war on your truck rust. I'd rather be safe and line the bottom to prevent as much rust as possible. Even if it's not that pretty, it doesn't matter to me cause my face isn't under there all day long to notice.

#8 ·
Look people, these vehicles today are not made of the same metal they used to be. I used ot own an 83 GMC Sierra Classic Jimmy 4x4 (you know the BIG blazers). THat had so much rust from the "normal" GM rust that the seatbelt pulled out of the floor boards on day along with about a 6 in circle of floor attached to the bolt. LOL!!!! You don't see that now a days. And that vehicle was only 15 years old! COuld be too that I used that vehicle to surf fish with.

#9 ·
You can always buy the spray under coating in a piss can for couple of bucks at your local advance auto or pep boys and knock out the rust prone areas. I used the same stuff when I had a sound system in my old Ford Ranger, I pulled all the panels out and the factory speakers out and sprayed a coat of under coating to deaden the sound, it worked great and was very inexpensive. Also sprayed the inside of my speaker box to make it air tight.

#10 ·
Only problem with spraying that Rhino stuff on the undercarriage is having to do work on it down the road. Brake lines, wiring and bolts will be impossible to take off.

#11 ·
Ram3500Dually said:
Only problem with spraying that Rhino stuff on the undercarriage is having to do work on it down the road. Brake lines, wiring and bolts will be impossible to take off.
Only if you don't do a good job at prepping the areas to be covered. Just remove the bolt holding anything to the under carriage and then cover the whole bolt head with masking tape. When everything is done and dry, remove the tape and you'll have a clean area free of the under coating. Afterwards just put silicone to cover the bolt and seal it from water.
I put silicone on my friends dent on his car on the outside, and it's been years since I've done it and absolutely no rust. You can still see the bare metal underneath the silicone like it just happened yesterday. The silicone also cleans up too so it won't hold dirt like some may think.

#12 ·
Do you have any idea how many bolts are on the undercarriage?

#14 ·
Not to mention any bolt on the INSIDE that the threads go thru the floor like a seat bolt. You would never get any of these bolts out after putting rhino on it.

#15 ·
I figure there would probably be a lot of bolts. But like you guys mentioned, there is paint it yourself kits available even at Walmart. So it'd be easy to control what gets covered. And you only need to do it once so it'd be worth the effort after it's all said and done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.