DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Does Your Ram Have The Infamous Steering Wheel 'clunk / Rattle' ? Fix Found....

288K views 460 replies 190 participants last post by  Billl 
#1 ·
Hey 2nd Gen guys:

I was wondering how many here have had that annoying steering wheel / column 'clunk / rattle' develop in their trucks.

My '97 Ram 4x Cummins developed it and it was totally annoying - I replaced most all the front end components and it still had the steering column clunk.

I know the guys over at the Turbodiesel site have agonized over this, and suspect that the same trouble prone column is in most 2nd gen Ram Trucks - regardless of engine configuaration.

Anyhow, I just developed a fix with a machined Nylon / Delrin bushing and would be happy to share how I did it here, or offer them, once we develop it a bit further.

It totally transformed how my Ram steers - which surprised me. I was just trying to get rid of the 'clunk' - little did I know just how much the lower column bushing failure was allowing WAY excessive play, which made the steering vague & imprecise.

Now, the truck steers with rack & pinion precision - Amazing !

When you consider this can be done at a fraction of the cost of a new column from Dodge $ 700 ea, for the same (defective) design, it only makes sense.

Anyhow, I can post pics & procedure (still doing research, don't know what cost will be - pretty cheap), but it would help to get some feedback first, so to the original question:

I was wondering how many here have had that annoying steering wheel / column 'clunk / rattle' develop in their trucks ?

If so, please give: year, engine, trans, miles and any thing else you think relevant....

Thanks guys ...I'll post more once you give some feedback......take care David B. Ram Van (& truck) Man :gr_patrio

See less See more
#227 ·
I've got an 02 2500 with steering issues but not really whats been posted here. I have a creaking sound coming from the upper column (interior) of truck. Its like it creeks, squeaks and whinces anytime you either put downward or sideways pressure on column, ie getting in and out of truck. Column was replaced early on for same issue, now its back again. Is this the clunk, or dead steering response that this thread is all about?

#228 ·
Stop pulling yourself into the truck by the steering wheel. I got in the habbit of stepping up and then sitting down. Most folks just grab the wheel and slide in. That causes the bearings in the tilt wheel to wear out and also the side bolster of the seat gets beat up.
You will need to replace the bearings in the colom, but get this kit to save the lower part of the colom too. Money well spent from a great supplier.

#229 ·
Hi guys:

I was trying to stay in sync with the posts here. I wasn't getting notifications for some reason.

Truckdriver79: If you're talking about lubeing our steering column bushing, try to do it before installation. If installed you can sometimes coax the bushing back out, even using a small 'drywall' screw up into the edge of the bushing, then pull down on it with pliers. Grease the ID (NOT the OD) - also make sure the inner steering shaft over which it fits is free of rust & scale. If you already installed the metal retainer washer, it will need to be carefully cut away - small dremel tool will do it nicely. Then grease as stated. You can also squirt some lighter lubes in behind the retainer wash while a helper turns the wheel simultaneously.

Grantman31: Glad to hear our kit addressed your problem - now the truck is fun & safer to drive - very cool !

Snowpusher: Sounds like you've found the play location - a bad steering box will do it every time. Just a thought: once you replace it, consider installing a 'Darin's steering stabilizer bracket' - used to be offered by www.solidsteel.ca. I have one & love it. It supports the lower end of your steering box shaft with an 'outrigger' bearing, which is part of the larger bracket that fits under the anti-sway bar mount bolts. It will prevent to much force from wearing out your box prematurely. Highly recommened. Plus, it can only help increase steering precision. The bomb, for sure.

To the other fellows: our kit does two main things:

1) restores & improves precision to the entire steering column by removing the stock - loose fitting - low precision OEM bushing assy with our tighter, more precision Delrin bushing, total color pic instructions included, eliminates guesswork. Two main benefits:

1) Any 'mystery' noise like a rattling, clunking or knocking that is heard from the steering wheel, as if it is a speaker aiming the sound at you, (and perhaps felt in the pedals, too) is likely originating from this loose lower column bushing. It manifests over rough pavement, pavement joints & driveways entries.

2) Steering Play is reduced, by virtue of the tighter tolerances - now the column shaft is turning perfectly 'true' - not making an 'oval' shaped movement - thus less steering play is immediatley noted in most cases.

Caveat (exception): Some Rams have multiple worn items that all add up to horrible amounts of play, (say, tie rod ends, drag link joints, steering box & intermediate steering shaft - not to mention suspension ills that can also mimic steering woes), so to think that this one kit, alone, will be 'the bomb' on a every truck it's installed on, is simply not realistic.

However, it can be one more solid step towards a Ram truck that steers with significantly above average precision.

Because this lower column bushing weakness is hidden inside the lower column, it's not on the 'usual list of suspects' when troubleshooting, and is therfore overlooked.

A lot of guys have replaced all the 'normal' wear items and are baffled at the continued existence of steering play - that last half to full inch of play on either side of 'center'.

Our Rock Solid Ram Steering Fix is usually the end of that issue.

At Your Service,

David B.
www.RockSolidRamTruckSteering.com

#230 · (Edited)
More thoughts on column noise / play Fix

Just read the more recent posts.

Great news on the successful installs. Thanks for writing with your results.

Glad to know our kit worked for you guys.

Another thing occured to me:

The gent who advised not using the steering wheel as a 'pull me up' point was correct, it can be hard on the column. If overdone, it could probably even cause breakage - depending upon how hard you pull, your weight, etc.

But I was gonna say that when I first worked out this fix, it was the first thing I noted: on my manual trans 97 4wd, I pulled myself in and said:

"Wow, that felt WAY more solid than before. The bit of flex felt at the wheel when pulling oneself into the drivers seat was pretty much gone by 90 %."

Whiteowl, this might be your issue with the creaking noises.

You can grab the spring on the end of the column, that encircles the shaft (just above the u-joint of the intermediate steering shaft), and try to wiggled the spring back & forth - rocking the truck slightly.

Any looseness at this spring - which is pushing up on the bad bearing assy inside the column - is a problem our 'Rock Solid Ram Truck Steering' kit will tighten up.

If there is a change in the noise heard in the truck after doing this, you have likely located the source, by wiggling you have temporarily 'reset' the spring tension, causing the noise to change or go away, albeit temporarily.

(This is but a simple test. Most likely, a bit of driving will probably allow things to settle & noise will recurr as before, but at least you will have either discovered this to be the source of noise & play, or eliminated it from consideration.)

The only 'other' source of column noise I'm aware of is this:

On auto trans trucks, there are upper plastic retainer tabs -(they hold the rotating part of the column shifter tube in alignment with the outer tube) that may be worn or broken - that may also be the cause of your squeeking.

Usually these upper column platic tabs are only an issue after a crash has caused column compression or if you blammed real hard on the lower end of the column, which would be hard to do.

At Your Service,

David B.

#231 ·
Hey David B, I have a 02 1500 4X4 Ram. I notice my rattle more when going over small potholes or bumps, or especially gravel driveways. I was assuming this was maybe a shock issue. Do you think this is coming from the steering column? I haven't had a chance to do your test by wiggling the spring at the end of the column, but wanted to get your thoughts. Thanks in advance.

#232 ·
Ramdog02 said:
Hey David B, I have a 02 1500 4X4 Ram. I notice my rattle more when going over small potholes or bumps, or especially gravel driveways. I was assuming this was maybe a shock issue. Do you think this is coming from the steering column? I haven't had a chance to do your test by wiggling the spring at the end of the column, but wanted to get your thoughts. Thanks in advance.
It may be hard for him to tell you where your rattle is coming from. Do you feel it through the steering wheels and/or pedals, or is it just a sound? Can you hear it in the cab or just resonating from outside? What type of rattle is it? Does it sound metallic, vibratory, or like a "popping" noise? What side of the truck, front or back, do you hear it from? More info please :)

#233 ·
Grantman31 said:
It may be hard for him to tell you where your rattle is coming from. Do you feel it through the steering wheels and/or pedals, or is it just a sound? Can you hear it in the cab or just resonating from outside? What type of rattle is it? Does it sound metallic, vibratory, or like a "popping" noise? What side of the truck, front or back, do you hear it from? More info please :)
I don't really feel it through the pedals, but to tell you the truth, when I hear the noise, I am so concentrated on it that I'm not paying attention to the pedals. It sounds like a metallic rattle. It also sounds like it is coming from the passenger side front tire, which is why I don't think this is the same issue. Thanks for the response!

#234 ·
I have a 1996 5.2 ext cab long box 2wd that exhibits the classic 'drunk' steering of the rams. However I have just came in from inspecting the spring on the column near the firewall and it has no play whatsoever, everything seems tight. I'm surprised as my truck has 335000kms (210 000 miles) on it. The intermediary shaft though has a significant amount of 'slop' in it where it slides into the lower shaft (the one connecting to the gear box). I have tried tightening to gear box just short of where it starts binding and does not return to center and experienced only a marginal improvement. I'm convinced my problem lies in the steering shaft as the my front end components do not show any excessive wear and the truck actually holds a line quite well when the steering is 'actively' engaged, like when rounding a corner on the hwy at 70mph. But when attempting to drive straight, staying in my lane takes considerable effort. I read in one of the RAM FAQ's about an individual inserting nylon zip ties where the intermediary shaft goes into the lower shaft to take up this slop. Anyone else try this with any success?

#235 ·
Ramdog02 said:
I don't really feel it through the pedals, but to tell you the truth, when I hear the noise, I am so concentrated on it that I'm not paying attention to the pedals. It sounds like a metallic rattle. It also sounds like it is coming from the passenger side front tire, which is why I don't think this is the same issue. Thanks for the response!
Personally, that to me sounds like your catalytic converter rattling. Get under the truck, and tap it with a rubber mallet and see if you can hear it rattling. Have you noticed any lack of power or decreased gas mileage lately?

Another thing that it could be, but it's not from the same area, is the skid plate/heat shield under the gas tank. It lines up with a little peg that bolts down and mine came loose and rattled whenever I hit a bump, closed the door, etc.

#236 ·
The noise that originates from the steering column is louder with the windows up (quiet cab) and is 'telegraphed' up at the driver, as if the steering wheel is acting as a 'speaker'.

When very pronounced, over rough pavement, it can frequently also be felt in the pedals - not surprising when you consider the pedals are very close to the lower end of the column, both mounted to the firewall.

So, if you close your windows, and the sound becomes more distant, it's likely 'undercarriage' noises - loose shock bolt, suspension part, catalytic converter rattle, etc.

I liked that idea about using the zip tie to shim up the loose joint on the worn intermediate shaft. It probably immediaely improves the slop factor, but in time will wear away.

I agree with your assessment of your steering, how you described it in the corner actively engaged, sounds like a worn intermediate (telescoping, joins column end to steering box) steering shaft. A worn shaft usually doesn't make any noises that I'm aware of - so if you have slop, but not rattling, clunking or the like, it's probably that.

Worn shafts are so common that our instructions tell how to check it so you can be sure to fix or address it when employing our Ram Steering Fix.

Good thing Dodge gets a fairly moderate $ 160 for the new one. Which by the way, don't waste $$$ on the Borgeson unit - the OEM Dodge one is fine and won't bind up like the Borgeson - which runs about double the OEM unit.

Just my $.02 on these thoughts.

FYI: Our Steering Fix is here: www.RockSolidRamTruckSteering.com

Best regards to all,

David B.

#239 ·
Hey Brian maui - best bet is to read as much of this long thread as you can, start at the beginning and you'll get the picture as the discussion develops. Quite a few clarifications & qualifications to help you discern if you're hearing suspension noises or if it REALLY is your steering column, which our kit solves.

So you don't spend a penny or hour you don't have to, fixing what's not broke.

smokin mirror...glad to know you think it's a good value !

We try to keep simple things simple. I just balked when Dodge asked me to shell out $ 900 for a new column when only one part was slightly worn !

David B.

#240 ·
mine sounds like gears

Mine just started a noise when turning at slow speed. Gets much worse when I put it in 4 wheel drive. Figured it was left U-joint. Waiting for warm up to really check it out. Could this be the chunk you guys are talking about?
100,000 mi. 97 1500 4x4. Sounds a lot like loose gear mesh. also makes no difference left or right turn. Maybe little louder left turn.

#241 ·
I have a 97 Ram 1500 and I have noticed that when going into a left or right turn, the truck will sway as returns to center. It seems as though there is play in the steering box. Is this what your all talking about? I dont hear any noise as I turn or come out of the turn, but perhaps this is the calm before the storm...the sway is driving me nuts, because sometimes the truck drifts and is VERY dangerous...well, I drive in Los Angeles so they are all dangerous! I have a full machine shop and can machine the said bushing, but if enough are produced...I will order one as well...I love this truck, she is all stock as of yet at 144,000 miles...

#242 ·
Not sure better check steering box adjustment first...or track bar on front axle

....it sounds like the steering box maybe out of adjustment or worn. I don't recall any swaying motion upon turning my truck, before we developed this fix.

If a 4x you may have a worn track bar - it provides side to side location for 4x front axle. If badly worn, and especially if the control arm bushings are shot, entire axle could pivot side to side, and that would probably feel about like you described !

What I had was clunking, rattling noise, over rough pavement or driveway joints, plus increasing play on either side of center.

On center stability was decent (still not perfectly linear like on a Toyota with rack & pinion, but oh well) once it was moved past the 'play' and you were 'set'.

So, our kit might help your overall precision, but it doesn't sound like the problem you currently have.

Take Care,

David B.

#244 ·
How smoothly does your intermediate steering shaft operate ?

Davis:

We have similar trucks. Mine is also a 2500 Cummins, and a '97 - 4wd, club cab.

For the purposes of the steering column rattle / clunk it usually matters not - all 2nd gen Rams have identical columns (some are tilt or fixed), be they gas, diesel, 2x or 4x.

We have noted the 4 x 4 Diesels exhibit the problem sooner & worse than others. Probably because of rougher treatment & heavier engine, which flexes the frame, cab & other componenets more.

Is your intermediate steering shaft OEM or did you upgrade to a Boregeson or other aftermarket shaft ?

FYI, the intermediate shaft is the telescoping 2 piece sliding shaft that connects the lower end of the steering column to the steering box.

It has to slide smoothly w/ binding, to account for cab / frame flex issues. Sometimes this intermediate shaft has become bound up by grit and becomes a solid rod - this also contributes to clunking as it then quickly wears out the lower column bushing.

As part of our Ram Truck Steering Fix, our kit not only replaces that lower column bushing, but we advise all to check the smooth operation of the intermediate shaft - which is simple as you need to disconnect it anyhow to access the lower end of the steering column.

So, you could check it's operation & if you find it binds / won't telescope smoothly up & down - bingo you've got a strong hint at a 'major contributing factor'.

Ironically, on my Ram truck, I had already upgraded to the Borgeson intermediate steering shaft a year earlier, then the clunking started. What I finally discovered was the Borgeson's rubber boot had cracked, dirt entered the sliding joint & made it immovable.

Basically it became a solid rod. Not good for the health of the column above nor the steering box below. And this was an obvious 'smoking gun' to the clunk / rattle issue.

With it not sliding, any play between the cab - to which the column is attached - and the frame - to which the steering box is attached - was not harmlessly absorbed, but rather, transmitted directly to the column or steering box.

The 'weak point' is the OEM lower column bushing / bearing assembly, so it gave way, and became the 'typanic membrane' for this shocking from rough pavement, driveway joints.

Now my truck was making 'music' - ha ha. :thatfunny

Lesson learned: I went back to an OEM Dodge intermediate shaft (it's a bit looser than the Borgeson & thus more tolerant of dirt & grit NOT binding it up), and we engineered our bushing kit. :IDEA:

Now, the clunking was gone & to my surprise, steering precision was better than day 1.

Apparently, the lower column assy was designed to a very loose tolerance, and that 'little bit of play' on either side of center, was now gone. Cool.

At the minimum, you could make two checks:

1) Drop the intemedate shaft to check for smooth up & down operation

2) Now it's disconnected, grab that spring the encircles the column shaft (it's just above the U joint you had to disconnect to lower down your intermediate shaft), and try to wiggle it back & forth.

If it's worn up inside, it should wiggle pretty easy & you'll feel some play.

Our Rock SolidRam Truck Steering kit replaces the parts that are up inside, against which that spring rests.

You can only see the very edge of this lower column bearing / bushing assy as it nests up inside the column end.

The spring is the most visible part, and it goes away for good.

(One big motiviation for us to engineer this kit was that Dodge sells ONLY the entire column as an assembly for $ 900 - not any individual parts. How completely wasteful of our time & money, to do that when only one small part is defective.....)

It's even possible you don't need our kit, but that your intermediate shaft binding is causing clunking & rattling even so.

Therefore checking it is good policy. Lube that joint with grease to help it remain operating smoothly.

Hope this is of help to you & others.

David B.
www.RockSolidRamTruckSteering.com :)

#246 ·
Steering Column lower bushings go bad....how to fix !

sweeney821 said:
what is name name of that part and what book are you talking about

The part / kit we are discussing is our fix we developed for the worn lower steering column bushing. When our trucks age, the lower, internal bushing in the column goes bad - wears out - gains play, and Dodge only sells the entire column, for $ 900 +.

So, we engineered this fix, and it replaces the cheap lower bushing assy - with a stout, precisely made bushing & retainer that cures the 'loose steering' for good.

Sometimes, the column begins clunking or rattling like crazy over pavement joints, etc, rough surfaces, etc, and this is also a sign you have the 'issue'.

Anyhow, we try to shed light on this issue, because it's one of the most cost effective fixes to fix & improve steering performance that can be done to the Rams. There are others, like checking your intermediate shaft for wear & play - we tell how to do that in our kit instructions.

Besides that a Ram truck owner might want to check the steering box adjustment, too.

Those 3 things are about it, underhood.

Under the chasis:

From the steering box down, check steering linkage joints, tie rod ends. Also ball joints, & if a 4x4, longitudinal (runs across your axle) track bar & parallel control arms for tightness & adjustment.

So, do that and the truck should steer real straight & true.

Our kit is here:

Hope this helps, David B. ;)

#248 ·
Sweeney821,

I can help you with that. There are some tolerance variations from truck to truck, say a few thousandths across a range.

What you expereinced is a combination of factors, column at the large end of the range of tolerance, for the bushing size, then extremely cold weather (bushing shrinks a couple thousandths), and bingo things get tight.

Also, driving a good amount right after installation is helpful, as the driving motion 'seats in' the bushing to your inner steering shaft.

Our intstructions advise to check the fit before finalizing things by installing the retainer washer. This is done by using some fine sandpaper on either ID or OD.

Most columns don't require it, maybe 33 % do. Then once fit is checked, by turning the wheel (truck stationary) back & forth, making sure no binding moves the shifter mechanism.

(BTW, this is only for AUTO trucks; manuals transmission Rams are more straightforward.)

Long story short, we now make the auto bushing a few thousandths less in dimension to alleviate this potential issue.

We guarantee your satisfaction, so if you'll send me a PM with your details, I will get you out a replacement kit, with the new spec bushing & new retainer washer.

At Your Service,

David B.
1-936-371-1447

#249 ·
RamVanMan i have a question concerning my 94 1500 3.9L V6 auto tranny 110,000KMS
1. my truck pulls to the right if i hold the wheel straight (tires balanced)
what could be causing this?
i have not changed any ball joints or tie rods or done anything to the steering (other than grease the joints every 5000kms
thanks for your help

#251 ·
TruckRam Rod:

Probably needs alignment. Our Ram Steering Fix Kit helps you have control over the suspension, but it's the suspension settings that effect how straight your Ram goes, ultimately.

It couldn't hurt to have your column operate with more precision, could only help, but I think your immediate concern is elsewhere.

Bass 2 catch: I think we can help you. The 'sawing to keep straight' is a common complaint. Even when new, our Rams tended to have this characteristic. By the time our Rams are 10 years old or more & have miles on them, the lower column bushing has lost precision. Our kit restores it, even better than day one.

My father watched my hands, on our first highway test drive, and said: "We'll you don't even have to tell me it's better. Your hands are still and you're staying straight as an arrow. You were sawing on the wheel since the first day you owned this Ram. Big improvment !"

Our kit includes the whole instuctions laid out simple with lots of color pics to eliminate gueswork. We also explain how to check the intermedate steering shaft (it needs disconnecting from the column anyhow) for play at that time.

Details at: www.RockSolidRamTruckSteering.com

At Your Service,

David B.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.