DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

mini trip computer?

15K views 40 replies 3 participants last post by  ABslt 
#1 ·
Mine didnt come with one, but there is wiring for it in the console, would it be as easy as putting one in, or would it need a bunch of other stuff to make it work?

#2 ·
You would need the outside temperature sensor. The rest is ran into the BCM. For average mpg,miles till empty and so on. The compass is built into the overhead unit.
You should find a plug hanging in the front of your radiator. This is where the outside temperature sensor plugs in.
So to cruise to the junkyard you would need the overhead unit and the sensor. Cut the sensor with plug attached and unbolt it from it's mounting. The reason of keeping the plug is just incase yours is slightly different. You can wire that plug in.

#3 ·
Heres a wiring diagram. It's for a 2000. The only other one I can find is for the 1995 model. If the wires in these schematics don't match what you have, I'll post the 95 model. As far as I can tell the overhead console in the 2000 is the same one in the 1998 model.
The outside temperature sensor is officially called the ambient temperature sensor.
The two fuses shown may be empty in your fusebox. You may need to wire them for power, if no power is at the plug. The one for the garage door opener probably doesn't need powered up.

Attachments

#4 ·
Ive seen a plug when under the car, is on the left side, behind the drive side headlight, would this be the one, its just dangling there with nothing plugged into it. when you say wire power, would i just have to throw a fuse in, or take the box out and wire up some wiring?

#5 ·
It has a 20 amp fuse. That seems quite a bit to run just the overhead console. I would imagine it runs something else and is already there. Test your wire on the plug for the trip computer. If it has power when the ignition is turned on, you won't need to run anything.
The location seems about right on the sensor plug. The junk yard vehicle will have it bolted in place. It looks like the picture. If your plug looks like it'll fit that sensor, it's the correct plug.

Attachments

#6 ·
Yea there are two spares in my box, and they dont have any wiring going to them, so is my best bet to take the fuse box apart at junk yard and grab the wiring going to that fuse, so i could wire it up into my vehicle?

#7 ·
Ok will go check for power at that plug...

#9 ·
From what i can see the plug looks to be correct but from under the car it looks to be a black and red wire, hard to see though its wrapped in tape, but it doesnt have power at either terminal.

#10 ·
COMPASS MINI - TRIP COMPUTER SELF-DIAGNOSTIC TEST
The Compass Mini - Trip Computer (CMTC) is capable of performing a diagnostic self check on many of its internal functions. CMTC diagnostics may be performed using a DRB lll® scan tool and the proper Body Diagnostic Procedures Manual or by the following procedure.

1.With the ignition switch in the OFF position, press both the US/M and STEP button.

2.Turn ignition switch to the ON position.

The CMTC will perform internal checks while lighting all segments of the vacuum florescent display. Upon completion of the internal check, the CMTC will display.

•PASS

•FAIL

•CCd

If any segment of the CMTC fails to light replace the module.

If FAIL is displayed, replace the module.

If CCd is displayed, check the CCD and Body Control Module (BCM) for proper operation, refer to the appropriate diagnostic test procedures manual If the CCD and the BCM are OK, replace the CMTC module.

Compass Mini-Trip Computer (CMTC) Switches and Display
The Compass Mini-Trip Computer (CMTC) system is located in the overhead console. CMTC consists of a electronic control module with a vacuum fluorescent display (VFD) and function switches. The CMTC consists of a electronic module that displays compass, trip computer, and temperature features. Actuating the STEP switch will cause the CMTC to change mode of operation when ignition is ON. Example:

•Compass/Temperature

•Trip odometer (ODO)

•Average miles per gallon (ECO)

•Instant miles per gallon (ECO)

•Distance to empty (DTE)

•Elapsed time (ET)

•Off

OPERATION
The CMTC module in the overhead console has three buttons used to select various functions. The CMTC selector buttons will not operate until the ignition is in the RUN position.

When the ignition switch is first turned to the RUN position the CMTC display;

•Blanks momentarily

•All segments of the VFD will light for one second

•Blanks momentarily

•Returns to the last mode setting selected before the ignition was last switched OFF.

THERMOMETER AND COMPASS
THERMOMETER
Engine temperature can increase the displayed temperature. The CMTC is designed to dampen temperature readings when the vehicle is moving at a rate slower than 18 miles per hour.

The outside temperature is measured from a sensor mounted in the front of the vehicle. If the temperature is more than 55°C (131°F) or the temperature sending line is shorted to ground, the temperature display should read SC. If the temperature is less than -40°C (-40°F), or the sending line is an open circuit, the display should read OC.

The CMTC will not allow the temperature reading to increase when the vehicle is not moving.

COMPASS
The CMTC is self calibrating and usually requires no adjustment. The compass will continuously perform a slow calibration to compensate for small magnetic variations common to any automobile. Uncommon magnetic shifts may be caused by items such as magnetic base antennas, which can permanently alter the magnetic field of the vehicle roof panel. If excessive magnetic field continues for 5 minutes, the compass heading will go blank and only the CAL symbol will illuminate. When this occurs, the vehicle roof panel may require demagnetizing. Refer to the demagnetizing procedure in this section.

Moderate magnetic shifts may, on very rare occasions, cause the compass heading to display only one or two of the eight possible headings. Although the compass will eventually compensate for this shift, it could take several ignition cycles. The compensation process can be expedited by manually activating the fast calibration routine. Refer to the fast calibrating procedure in this section. This procedure may be performed anytime that the compass appears to be inaccurate.

If the calibration data stored in the body control module is not received, the compass will read only NE North-East. The CMTC is self calibrating and requires no adjusting. The word CAL is displayed to show that the compass is in calibration mode. CAL will turn off after the vehicle has gone through three complete circles without stopping, in an area free of magnetic disturbance. If module displays temperature while the compass is blank, turn off ignition and run self diagnostics then demagnetize the vehicle. If problem persists, then demagnetize vehicle.

UNIVERSAL TRANSMITTER
DESCRIPTION

Universal Transmitter Location
The Universal Transmitter, replaces the hand held remote controls that open the garage door, motorized gates, or home lighting in/outside the home. This device memorizes the activator codes for up to three remote controlled devices. It triggers those devices at the push of a button, located in a unit permanently mounted in your overhead console (if equipped).

OPERATION
The transmitter operates off your vehicle's battery and charging system; no batteries are needed.

The Universal Transmitter incorporates a Rolling Code technology (random digital code signals from the remote transmitter) within the transmitter module. This is done so, as an added security measure.

Features of the Universal Transmitter are:

•Can be used with most other Radio Frequency (RF) activated devices.

•Individual channels can be trained.

•Stores transmitter data in permanent memory - retraining is not required even if the battery dies or is disconnected.

To operate, simply press the appropriate button on the Universal Transmitter. The red LED will light up while the signal is being transmitted.

Important:
For security reasons, you are able to erase the trained frequencies.

COMPASS CALIBRATION PROCEDURE - service procedures
Subarticles
•COMPASS CALIBRATION PROCEDURE
•COMPASS CALIBRATION PROCEDURE (FAST METHOD)
•DEMAGNETIZING PROCEDURE
•UNIVERSAL TRANSMITTER
COMPASS CALIBRATION PROCEDURE
Variance is the difference between magnetic North and geographic North Variance Settings. To adjust the compass variance set the CMTC to Compass/Temperature mode and press RESET buttons for 5 seconds. The symbol VAR and the current variance zone number will be displayed. Press the STEP button to select the proper variance zone as shown in Variance Settings. Press the US/Metric button to save the new variance zone and normal CMTC operation. If the RESET button is held for 10 seconds instead 5 seconds the CMTC will set variance to 8 and enter the fast calibration mode.

Variance Settings

COMPASS CALIBRATION PROCEDURE (FAST METHOD)
When the compass is subjected to excessive magnetic fields, the CMTC automatically enters a fast calibration mode where is tries to compensate for the large magnetic shifts.

If the compass is inaccurate, appears to be inaccurate and the CAL is not illuminated the fast calibration mode may be manually entered by using the following procedure.

1.Set the CMTC to Compass/Temperature mode and press the reset button for 10 continuous seconds. Manual activation of the fast calibration is generally not required.

2.Compass variance sets to the default of 8 after the fast calibration is manually activated.

3.Complete the compass variance setting procedure by referring to the Compass Variance Procedure in this section

4.Drive the vehicle in three 360° turns in an area free from large metal objects. If the CAL symbol remains lit after completing this step, the roof panel may need demagnetizing

DEMAGNETIZING PROCEDURE
A magnetic field can adversely affect the compass. Magnetic interference can magnetize the roof panel. Magnetizing can be caused by placing a permanent magnet in contact with the roof panel. Example:

•Magnetic Base Antenna

•Magnetic screwdriver

•Audio speakers

•Refrigerator magnets.

•Pizza Signs

•Bubble gum flasher lights

Removing magnetic interfering objects will usually restore normal compass operation. If the compass display remains blank while the CAL label is illuminated, then the roof panel requires demagnetizing. To demagnetize use Special Tool 6029 for demagnetizing the roof panel. The demagnetizing procedure will demagnetize the roof and mounting screws in the overhead console. It is important that you follow the instructions below exactly. The mounting screws and the mounting brackets around the compass area are steel, and therefore aid in the demagnetizing of the roof panel.

1.Be sure the ignition switch is in the OFF position before you begin the demagnetize procedure.

2.Plug the demagnetizing tool into a standard 110/115 volt AC outlet, keeping the demagnetizing tool at least 12 inches away from the compass area when plugging it in.

3.Slowly approach and contact the console mounting screw with the plastic coated tip of the tool for at least two seconds.

4.With the demagnetizing tool still energized, slowly back it away from the screw until the tip is at least 12 inches from the screw head.

5.Repeat the last step with all the console mounting screws.

6.After you have pulled at least 12 inches from the last screw, remove the demagnetizing tool from inside vehicle and disconnect it from the electrical outlet.

7.Place an 8 1/2 X 11 inch piece of paper lengthwise on the roof of vehicle directly above compass. The purpose of the paper is to protect the roof panel from scratches and define the area to be demagnetized.

8.Plug in the demagnetizing tool, keeping it at least two feet away from the compass unit.

9.Slowly approach the center of the roof panel at the windshield with the demagnetizing tool plugged in.

10.Contact the roof panel with the tip of the tool. Using slow sweeping motions of 1/2 inch between sweeps. Move the tool approximately four inches either side of the center line and at least 11 inches back from the windshield.

11.With the demagnetizing tool still energized, slowly back away from the roof panel until the tip is at least two feet from the roof before unplugging the tool.

12.Recalibrate compass, refer to the compass calibration procedure in this section.

UNIVERSAL TRANSMITTER TRAINING
1.Turn off the engine.

2.Erase the factory test codes by pressing the two outside buttons. Release the buttons when the red light begins to flash (about 20 seconds).

3.Choose one of the three buttons to train. Place the hand-held transmitter within one inch of the universal transmitter and push the buttons on both transmitters. The red light on the universal transmitter will begin to flash slowly.

4.When the red light on the universal transmitter begins to flash rapidly (this may take as long as 60 seconds), release both buttons. Your universal transmitter is now "trained". To train the other buttons, repeat this stepand this step. Be sure to keep your hand-held transmitter in case you need to retrain the universal transmitter.

ERASING
To erase the universal transmitter codes, simply hold down the two outside buttons until the red LED begins to flash.

Important:
Individual channels cannot be erased. Erasing the transmitter codes will erase ALL programmed codes

Attachments

#11 ·
The sensor wires will not have power. They go directly to the mini compass. You need to pull the overhead console and test that plug for power. That wire will go to the mini compass to power it up and once the plug is inserted into the mini compass will power up the sensor wires correctly..

#12 ·
Perfect, thanks a ton.

#13 ·
The Pink with violet wire is for the garage door opener. It's the same thing. It goes to fuse 6 15amp in the power distribution center instead of fuse 6 20 amp found in the fuse box.
It should also have power already there. That circuit runs the front reading lamps,left mid,left rear,left visor,right rear,right visor,right mid reading lights,power mirror,glove box and the garage door opener.
That one should test for power with no key on. The other (Brown/pink) should test with power with the key in the on position.

The garage door opener was an extra option. You can choose to install it or just the mini compass.

#14 ·
Yea if i can find both at the junk yard ill install that also, should be a good factory mod to the van. Thanks for all the help again.

Edit now that i think about it i dont think there was a harness for the garage door opener one, unless it was tucked up somewhere and i didnt see it.

#15 ·
If there isn't a plug for it, it wouldn't be too hard to wire in. Cut the plug from the donor vehicle with as much wire attached to it as possible.
It has a pink/violet wire, a Black/light Green and an orange wire. Three wires total.
The Pink/violet wire can be jumped from one of the front reading lights. The color should be the same. The Black/light green wire can be jumped from the mini compass plug. Again it's the same color.
The orange wire, if not present, is the hardest to do. You may need to run a wire to any light that comes on with the headlights. Radio,ashtray,heater control. Ashtray light is the easiest to locate. This wire just runs the illumination of the garage door opener. The first two wires will make it operationable.

#16 ·
Well i found the overhead computer, plus the the cover, got that in and it works, wasnt able to find the garage door opener or then temp sensor, so everything works on the screen except the temp says oc or something along those lines. Will there be any harm done by using it with out the temp sensor until i can pick one up, or should i disconnect it for now. Couldn't find the garage door opener, but there are plenty of other yard to check.

#18 ·
Well the only cars with the mini computer the radiators were gone, so it looked like they took it with the radiator, because the plug wasnt there either, just two cut wires. Could you explain were it mounts, i may just buy one at the parts house but i dont see where it would sit.

#19 ·
1.Raise and support vehicle on safety stands. Not really needed to do, unless not enough room to crawl under.

2.From behind front bumper fascia, remove screw holding sensor to radiator closure panel. You should see two holes. One for the pin on the sensor and another for the screw that holds it in place

3.Remove sensor from vehicle.

The sensor is $19.99 at autozone and cheaper at rockauto

#21 ·
Yea i looked around under there and cant really see a mounting spot for it, until i can find a spot by seeing it on a junk yard vehicle could i just zip tie the sensor the the existing horn wiring, so it wont be bouncing around?

#23 ·
Not exact to his model, but close. The one on the top is for the automatic temperature control.
The one on the bottom is the ambient temperature sensor.
Thanks wally, I watched a bunch of youtube videos last night in hopes of catching a glimpse of the sensor. They had a bunch of how to change the radiator and such, but none of them seemed to show the sensor hanging.
Your pictures come through once again.

You can zip tie it in place if you can't find a mounting location.
Remember it has to mount within the plugs reach. This gives you an idea of where it should be.

#24 ·
Yea thats whats funny the plug doesnt have much slack, also when my car was new it was in a major wreck to the front left side did 12k worth of damage so i dont know if the harness was moved around or shortened but it looks to be in the right spot, so from his picture it looks like its in front of the radiator, or grill hard to say not the same model, but should help, ive got some searching to do, thanks alot for the help guys

#25 ·
Going off the picture I provided earlier and what Wally has posted. It's not going to be in the center as his is shown. It's towards the drivers side. It'll be slightly to the right or passenger side from your horn mounting location. The wiring harness view I put up is pretty close to exact. You can see in it's picture the harness isn't stretched to it. Theres a closure panel for the radiator. It mounts to that panel. It's in the general vicinity in this picture, but on the opposite side. It goes in the front side of the radiator, but behind the grill.

There is the possibility, not having the option, the holes aren't there. Drilling a small hole for the pin and using a self tapping screw will work fine. Or the zip tie. As long as it isn't flopping around and the tip of it isn't touching anything, it'll be accurate. The tip being the opposite end of where the plug goes.

Attachments

#26 ·
So i bought the temp sender new and it wont plug into the plug that i thought it was it is the plug pictured in the diagam but it sure wont plug in so i dont know if its the right plug.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.