DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grounded my throttle body...nice response!!

106K views 436 replies 107 participants last post by  brandofamily 
#1 ·
Figured with the plastic intake manifold, the throttle body is exempt from being grounded from rf signals and static, which these bad signals would only get to ground from the throttle bodys signal wires, which would only confuse and lag on the pcm. Just ran a wire from the tb bolt, over to the driver side fender. Nice and smooth on demand shifts, fkn love it:rck: Working on a map sensor relocation system which will shed these interferences as well:rck::rck:

This mod costed me $0.00:rck:

#169 ·
Im sure you can get better signals.....I mean in the pic the alt cable looks as if it runs near the map sensor wiring then over to the cam sensor wiring.....is that hemi in a durango or a car? lol not much room in the engine bay....But glad the mod helped!!

#164 ·
I agree. I installed mine this morning. I feel a great improvement in overall throttle imput/response!....I give this cheap, simple, easy mod Two thumbs up!!

#166 ·
I used 14 guage as well

#167 ·
So we just talking about the tb.? For that size wire?

#171 ·
Glad to see you guy's getting a little better throttle response out of this mod. My sensitivity is already raised 50% in my tune, so i'm ok there.There is also a wot delay built in the tune in these truck's, that's messing with throttle response. (That's the one i dislike the most.) Just had this one adjusted in my tune, but haven't had a chance to try it out yet. But i'm with ya on the better grounding. Anyone been to the local atuto part's to see what premade cable's are available yet?

#172 ·
Ok look, Im going to make this simple for every one, because maybe not everyone needs a wire attached to there throttle body or a ground signal cleaned up some wheres on there truck. To find out if you will benifit from these up grades its simple. Get into your car, truck, suv or whatever it is your rollin in, at least for the 2003, im sure this method will apply to other years. Get in, HOLD IN the counter reset on the cluster and at the same time turn the iggnition to RUN "NOT start". The cluster will perform a test, after that test if any codes other than 0000 are displayed your communications somewheres are jacked. Example; AA01-pcm meassages not received one time. AB01-Trans meassages not received one time. AC01-ABS system messages not received....This will not most likely be a bad sensor but a disturbance in how a sensor input signal is read by any of the multiple computers in the truck....Have a nice day!!!

#173 ·
Did this mod today. Used 14 gauge wire and grounded to the firewall.

The results are impressive to say the least. Comparing logs on my Zeitronixs TPS from before and after it very cool. The truck idles down very fast now when coming to a stop and reacts as soon as the throttle is applied. Before when the throttle was applied there was a slight delay then they TPS would spike then settle back down. Now there is no spiking it levels off right were it should be.

Using a multimeter there is absolutely no reading from the face of the TB to any grounding point! Before installing the dynamic grounding the resistance from the drivers head to the battery is almost nothing. Now the passengers side head is another story, the resistance was quite high but I can't remember off the top of my head. Now there is almost no resistance from either head or TB!

Success!

Also I might add my truck does shift better, this is no placebo effect. I am getting shifts that I have never gotten before, very solid and extremely quick.

#174 ·
I didn't think to do a continuity check before I installed mine; good work! The passenger side head doesn't have a really good ground? It's bolted to the block. That surprises me. I only used an 18g wire, but I suspect it'll work fine. Which reminds me; some member of the clown patrol, when wiring the light in my bed topper, wire-tapped the hot lead I ran to my electric fan. Couldn't be bothered to crimp on a solderless terminal even?!:mad::ugh

#178 ·
Anytime you mess with the electrical, I would disconnect the negative cable on the battery.

:imo

#177 ·
I grounded everything and did dynamic grounding.....not much if anything but a smoother running truck....used 4ga welding cable for everything and left all the stock cables intact...was free so i cant complain but i would never pay 100 bucks for this little.

#181 ·
I swear the 2003 ram was the red headed step child as far as wiring goes.....Night and day difference between the 03 and 04 wiring.....What a joke:ugh edit..thought i read you had a 2003 lol, just seen you have a 2008....im going blind

#182 ·
Still loving the TB ground.

Who has grounded the trans? I was thinking running a wire from the passinger side trans "ear" (there's a hole through it for a bolt) to the chassis where the other ground strap is located. Is this one way to do it?

#193 ·
I have grounds every where, grounds on top of grounds haha, It makes no difference where you install, find a hole and tap it:D, grind any paint away until its shiny metal....Just remember, the more grounds you have the better, but its more work to keep em all clean and connected, and corrosion free. I just keep em shiney:D

#183 ·
I'll let yall know how this mod works out for me in about 3-4 years...

#188 ·
I never thought i would read 8 pages of posts about a wire.... But i did... lol

I guess ill have to try this out this weekend and report back!

#189 ·
Why not just run the wire from the TB to the back of either head? This is a shorter/quicker path to ground plus you can hide the wire better:IDEA:

#194 ·
my bad

#196 ·
I also grounded my TB the other day and believe or not there was a difference, a very slight difference. I used to feel a very slight delay and now the slight delay is gone. Now waiting for the trans ground to be posted by someone.

#205 ·
This is the same problem I had with my motorcycle.
the idle was a little rough and performance was "lagging".
It was fuel injected and I went through it and cleaned every ground and yep it fixed it.
That is why you should have a computer plugged into an Isolated Ground plug.
This is an Orange coloured plug that is wired to a dedicated ground all the way back to the electricle panel.
So to all the naysayers ......

#208 · (Edited)
I cant remember if the head bolts were painted or coated, maybe thats affecting a ground path. But resistance was high on the front timing cover bolts from corossion, they cleaned up well but any coolant will eat up a ground path.

#209 ·
Didnt realize so many had the lag on there rides, maybe sticky thread this shit in electrical

#211 ·
Come on 01off-road, join us and have fun also.

#213 ·
I know how it feels...:bawl:

#214 ·
Whats the deal with this? You said 3-4 years at one point also. Truck gone or something? Lose your license? ( I ask because I have so don't feel singled out if you did, we all fu*k up sometimes)

#219 ·
Everybody that's posted have been talking about the Hemi but does not the 4.7L have the same fly-by-wire system on the newer trucks? If it's the same type of system, I see no reason way this wouldn't work with the 4.7L.

:)

#222 ·
When Sawcut64 (Sam) did my cylinder heads and cams, I don't remember any ground straps to the heads.

#225 ·
Nothing :) After reinstalling my engine tranny combo when building my stroker I did not ground the transmission (original strap was broken). So I decided to jump on the ground everything bandwagon and ground the tranny, result 0 difference. So to be clear I did not have any ground strap on the tranny before adding a proper grounding wire and felt zero difference.

However I still plan to do the throttle body and various other grounding mods (can you even call this a mod :) ) because it might not have any benefits but it sure as hell won't hurt anything and if something ever starts going wrong with the electrics on this truck a bad ground will immediately be eliminated as a possible cause.

Seems to me that this mod has gone 'viral' and there is a big placebo effect here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.