DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2000 Dodge Dakota 45rfe transmission issues?

14K views 10 replies 2 participants last post by  47dakota44 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi -

I did a quick check and didn't see that this had been brought up yet but here is my problem.

i have a 2000 dodge dakota SLT 4x4 quad cab with the 4.7L and auto trans. i believe it is a 45RFE?

When the truck has sat for a few days and I first get in to drive it, it seems as if the transmission is slipping a little until it gets warmed up. Then the next problem is when you are driving and it goes to shift from 1st gear to 2nd gear its as if the truck is momentarily in neutral and then drops into gear. It doesn't matter how much gas you are giving it is does it almost everytime. If you aren't expecting it you almost get a whiplash. it is a really hard shift. it also does this going from 2nd to 3rd.

the truck has around 148,xxx miles and seems to be in good shape otherwise.

i was wondering if anyone else has experienced this or have heard of this problem?

thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
How long have you owned it? Has the transmission been serviced recently? Take a look at your fluid and make sure it's at the proper level and not a dark color or smells burned.

Try it with over drive off. Does it do it still?

It sounds like a low fluid level issue to me.

It also could be your tps sensor.

Let us know what you find when you get a moment to check. It seems like a few guys are having shifting issues recently.

#4 ·
Tps is the throttle position sensor on your throttle body. It has some effect on shifting but I can't remember exactly how at the moment.

Does the 45rfe have a cable kick down like the 46re? Or is it all electronically controlled? I'll do some research and see what I can find.

#6 ·
Well I did some searching on google... Many guys having similar issues suggest tps replacement.

Do you have a multimeter? If you can measure voltage down to a .01 resolution I can tell you how to test it.

#8 · (Edited)
Sorry for my delayed response. Been working 10+ hour days night shift all week.

Your tps sensor is located on the side of your throttle body. It has 3 wires coming out of the plug. Insert your red probe into the back of the connector on the middle wire (back probe the wire). Take your black probe and hold it to a ground like the engine, frame, a bare bolt etc.

Now, turn your ignition to the run position.

Your volt meter should read around .5 volts just sitting there. Now, very slowly and smoothly open the throttle to wide open and hold it steady. Your meter should read between 4.66 to 4.75 volts.

While you are slowly and smoothly opening the throttle, watch your voltage readout. It should raise without jumping around and being erratic.

#10 ·
Great question. You could have sluggish throttle response and a check engine light. But it may not be bad enough to throw a check engine light yet.

For example, I know I need a new o2 sensor in my truck. Bad fuel economy and it threw a check engine light. I cleared the codes with my tuner almost 2000 miles ago and it hasn't come back on yet.

It is very possible that your tps is not causing this problem. But, it seems like the most plausible scenario. As the throttle opens your tps feeds voltage into the powertrain control module (pcm.) It tells the pcm to advance timing and add more fuel. It will also control your transmission shift points, firmness and kick downs.

Since a new tps is about $50 I personally would just replace it especially with how many miles you have. Just for good measure and so that you can eliminate that as being the problem.

#11 ·
tps ended up being fine. One thing that I did mention earlier, after the truck hasn't been driven for a few days and you go to drive it, it really acts sluggish..kind of like its slipping when you first put it into to gear and start driving and then it eventually goes away, which leads me to think that the problem lies with something mechanical, then again I'm no mechanic...? what are your thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.