DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Broke my Spider Gears

15K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Hemi5.7L4x4 
#1 ·
From using DT.com my truck knowledge has grown significantly, but I still don't understand still what spider gears are, all I know is that I broke mine and I'm throwing them away! I took my truck in Wednesday so I could get my Yukon 4.56 gears installed and the company called me yesterday morning and said that half of my spider gears were at the bottom of my axel! It's a wonder the 1/2 long pieces didn't hit my gears and ruin my axel by doing further damage. Well even though I don't completely understand the spider gears, except that they have something to do with the open differential, I'm throwing them away and getting a True Trac (limited slip). I find myself super lucky I was driving around and nothing broke. I witnessed no shuttering or sounds from the rear end. I get the truck back Tuesday....it's depressing having to carpool :( But hey, at least I'm not Open Dif. anymore :)

#2 ·
its a wonder you were even able to move. with out the spider gears your ring and pinion are disconnected from your axle shafts. the shafts spline into the spider gears which are held in place by a large pin that is driven through the case. the ring gear mounts to the case and the pinion turns the ring gear. its amazing that you were able to move. pics of the busted gear please.

#3 ·
I'll most likely be going by the shop tomorrow, so I will get pictures then. All they showed me yesterday were the 1/2 inch pieces of broken metal at the bottom of the axel since there is a magnet that prevents flakes from spinning around in the diff. When the take everything out, I'll have photos.

#4 ·
are you sure you had an open diff (check the decal in the glovebox) the little 1/2 inch parts your talkig about sound alot like the "c clips" that take out 99% os the LSD rear equiped trucks. and they do this without a single symptom, i guess its possable that you culd have lost the clips and then the LSD went out making it an open rear end. but if you lost the spider gears i have a felling you would have been on a flat bet going to the shop. my next wuestion is what is the total cost on everything. im looking at $1500 for a whole new rear end (4.56 factory installed with clutchless LSD) out of a SRT-10 and i will never have to srry about the stupid little c clips again.

#5 ·
Nah I had 3.55 gears with the open diff. They said it was a wonder how everything was still working. I mean I drove the truck up there like nothing was wrong. Only reason it was found out was because I'm getting Yukon 4.56s installed. With all of the new bearings and seals, Detroit True track and LSD housing, and Yukon gears it's costing me $1357. This is only the rear. I'll be a 2wd until I get my Dana 44 installed. The was no LSD in my truck from the factory. They usually come with 3.73 gears.

#6 ·
The was no LSD in my truck from the factory. They usually come with 3.73 gears.
actually its 3.92 on the 1500's and 3.73 was the base gears for the 2500/3500. its a bummer that you have to go through all this man im just glad that it will work out for ya in the end and that the housing did not get trashed as well.

#7 ·
Meh, it's not to much of a bummer besides the extra 250$. I'm just glad I didn't break anything more. It'll be nice to have a very nice LSD in the rear now, instead of the open diff.

#8 ·
i call bs on the broken spiders if they were that bad you would hear some bad noises are they charging you extra for the install? i would go down there right now

#9 ·
The spider gears were really broken. I was there when they opened the carrier and found the chunks sitting at the bottom. I just got my 4.56s and truck back today. WOW am I impressed. Can't go over 65 anymore, but at least I'm already seeing 14+ mpg. I love how it doesn't constantly downshift anymore. The stock 3.55s suck for 35 inch tall tires. Can't wait to do WOT and also try out the True Trac once I get 500 miles and an oil change under my belt. I'll have pictures of the Open Diff. housing when I go back for my oil change. I forgot to grab everything, including the ring and pinion, when I left.

#12 ·
That's probably how I broke mine Cobra2411......lol My mileage goes from 15-16 MPG at 65-70 mph to 12-13 at 75 mph. All of the highways around me are 65 mph so I'm not real worried about it. I don't drive fast at all. I keep it at 65-70. I am getting a constant 14 around rural-city driving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.