DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

infant car seat installation in rear center

17K views 47 replies 16 participants last post by  cabrera121799 
#1 ·
Ive called three different car seat inspectors and got three different answers.
The depth of the rear center seat in my 03 ram quad cab is about 14 inches. Ive tried several different infant car seats and they all stick out about 3.5 inches past the end the seat. They fit fine on the outboard seats which measure about 18 inches but the front seat needs to be all the way up. I prefer to use the center because its safer but I dont know if the 3.5 inches is a problem.
One inspector said at least 75% of the base must rest on the seat. Another said a maximum of 1 inch can go past the end of the seat, and yet another said the whole base must rest on the seat.
Does anyone have any suggestions, experiences, or resources they can point me too. thanks

#2 ·
My babys seat stuck out a little over the edge. The base was long on her detachable car seat, the kind where you click it in and pull the seat out. The local PD/FD has a safety inspection every few months for car seats. I went down there and they checked it all out for me.

You can also call the departments and they usually have at least one certified inspector who can help you out. Just get a time to show up at the department and they will help. Anyways, mine was fine and safe and secure she said. Hell I put my knee so deep in that base and rear seat, it left a compression dent that I dont think is ever gonna leave my back cushion. lol Who really gives a shit though about their seat, my childs life is more important than any material possession I own or ever will own.

I had an Eddie Bauer convertible and liked it so much that I have the Eddie Bauer child seat. Plus they both match my interior better than some of the other brands. The full size car seat is much more secure and has a better base in my opinion. Its also easier to install, the angle of our rear seats can be a problem too. Buy those little neck/head surrounds for your baby seat. They cushioned my little girl fine and also helped keep her little head from flopping forward. The leaning angle of the rear can do this, until they are able to face forward, which mine will be in about another month here.

KB

PS - Heres a pic of my oldest and youngest daughters. Gotta protect your little ladies. :)

Attachments

#3 ·
I was also curious because our carseat base sticks out 2 inches.. I was told that as long as 75% of the carseat rest on the seat that it was ok.. No problems so far.. Kenny you have two little beauties.. Here's our's she's 8 weeks tomorrow...

Attachments

#4 · (Edited)
I don't know what an inspector would say (didn't even know they exist), but I have mine in the center (the type where you anchor the base and the seat clicks in). It does hang over the edge of the seat but it is very secure.

I would worry less about what the inspector says and more about making sure your little bundle of joy is very securely stapped in.

Oh, BTW, KB112 and 06ramhemi, those are beautiful children.

Attachments

#5 ·
As long about 75-80% of the seat rest on the cushion it is fine. It is more important that the seat sits at the proper angle so any impact forces are distributed properly without injuring the infant. In our Rams you MUST use the belt adapter that keeps the belts from loosening. DO NOT use the L.A.T.C.H. system hooks from the outboard seating positions when using an infant seat in the rear center position as they will allow too much movement in a collision leading to a possible injury to the infant.

My infant seat base hangs over the end as well, my EB convertible will as well when my little man gets big enough. I have them angled correctly and mounted tight. I am confidant through my experience that this is adequate.

#6 ·
TexasAxMan said:
I don't know what an inspector would say (didn't even know they exist), but I have mine in the center (the type where you anchor the base and the seat clicks in). It does hang over the edge of the seat but it is very secure.

I would worry less about what the inspector says and more about making sure your little bundle of joy is very securely stapped in.?
What the inspector says is important. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 80% of parents who think their installation is good are actually wrong.

#7 ·
I know in North Carolina, you can stop by any Highway Patrol Office and the troopers are all state certified and they will show you the proper way to install and be able to answer any questions, so maybe you can check with your local HP.

#12 ·
Wow im the say in different times of the year! IT SUCKS.. lol

#13 ·
In our Rams you MUST use the belt adapter that keeps the belts from loosening.

What adapter? This is the 1st I've heard of it.

I'm going to need one of these ASAP. The wife is due with our 3rd any day now. I'd considered using the LATCH anchor points from the other seats, but I've got a 3yr old that sits in a booster. Fortunately, my 6 yr old is big enough not to need one.

Got a part #, a picture?

#17 ·
Ahhh. I assumed it was something else. Thankfully those come with all seats, and you can buy additional ones if you need them.

Thanks for clearing that up.

#18 ·
Well crap, this is the first I've heard of those adapters. I'm not sure if there's any on my car seat or not? I can't remember.

My wife just popped out one of those cute little boogers.

#19 · (Edited)
These seats with the modular bases that the carrier clicks in and out of is great. We have one for each car in our family.
But now my kid is almost 16 lbs and man that thing gets heavy for my wife to lug around, so we take him outta it most times and leave it in the car.

That adapter sometimes can be found on the bottom or backside of the carseat locked into a little clip. If not they are available in most stores that sell the seats and any police dept that does inspections should have them or know where locally to get them.

I recommonend that anyone who is having a child for the first time or is installing a new seat get it inspected by a qualified person. It's really a great service we offer to the community and there is no shame in getting it checked out. Gotta keep the little ones safe.

#20 ·
I just happened upon this thread, but I thought I'd toss in my two cents. I bought an 06 QC Dakota about two months ago because we had another one on the way and the QC was better than a 4dr car in my opinion. When I went to put the base to the infant seat in I used the strap that comes with it, basically a belt with a hook on each end and a buckle slider in the middle. It attaches to small square anchors in the crack of the seats, there are four total across my back seat. You just hook them up and tighten the strap across the base where the seat belt would normally go.

To get to the part that may be helpful, I noticed in the Dak that if I put the seat in the middle the hooks were so far apart that I couldn't get the base tight enough to keep it from moving more than an inch so I HAD to put it on one side or the other. I hate having the baby on the side, but this was the only way to get it tight enough. She is on the right hand side of the truck though, as most side impacts are to the left side of the vehicle. I hope this is helpful, I've now been through the seat thing twice, and the latch and strap is by far easier and sits tighter than the seatbelt. I love the Dak, but in hindsight I think the Ram would have been a better choice overall. BTW, here's my two....

Attachments

#21 ·
Beazer said:
I just happened upon this thread, but I thought I'd toss in my two cents. I bought an 06 QC Dakota about two months ago because we had another one on the way and the QC was better than a 4dr car in my opinion. When I went to put the base to the infant seat in I used the strap that comes with it, basically a belt with a hook on each end and a buckle slider in the middle. It attaches to small square anchors in the crack of the seats, there are four total across my back seat. You just hook them up and tighten the strap across the base where the seat belt would normally go.

To get to the part that may be helpful, I noticed in the Dak that if I put the seat in the middle the hooks were so far apart that I couldn't get the base tight enough to keep it from moving more than an inch so I HAD to put it on one side or the other. I hate having the baby on the side, but this was the only way to get it tight enough. She is on the right hand side of the truck though, as most side impacts are to the left side of the vehicle. I hope this is helpful, I've now been through the seat thing twice, and the latch and strap is by far easier and sits tighter than the seatbelt. I love the Dak, but in hindsight I think the Ram would have been a better choice overall. BTW, here's my two....
As I had stated earlier... DO NOT use the outboard seat LATCH anchors to attach the car seat in the middle seating position.

You are correct in stating that the LATCH system does allow for easier tightening of the car seat. That being said, the rear center position is considerably safer when using the seat belt to secure the seat properly than using
the LATCH system on the outboard seats.

#24 ·
I wouldn't put a car seat in the middle of a QC. My wife used to climb back there and sit in that seat to feed our newest diaper-filler a bottle. My almost 3 year old sat in the other rear seat.

This became such a pain that we ended up getting a diesel Mega Cab. Now my son sits on the passenger side and my daughter is in the middle. It has LATCH connections in all 3 spots. My wife has plenty of room in the spot behind me to feed my daughter.

#25 ·
It should also be noted that any new parents need to install the car seat with your knee and some weight into it prior to tightening the LATCH strap or the seatbelt. Doing so will allow for a tighter fit to the seat.

I'd also suggest putting something under the car seat to make sure that it doesn't dig into the seat. It'll leave a permanent indention where the car seat meets the truck's seat.

WalMart used to sell foam 'wedges' in the automotive section. These are for your lower back. I had one for each vehicle, and they worked perfectly. Something like this might be available at a child's store. We've got a Babies 'r' Us here, and I believe they sell them there.

#26 ·
I'll throw in our pic too. This is the most current. Sorry you have to see my ugly mug.

Oldest is nearly 6, youngest is nearly 3. My daughter is due any day now.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.