DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

How often do you change yr plugs?

23K views 39 replies 24 participants last post by  opposite locker 
#1 ·
on a 5.7 hemi?
mines an 05 with 27k miles.
whats the usual service length on stock or entry level plugs?
whats some top notch brands out there for the hemi i should think about switching to when i swap em?

#2 · (Edited)
dont know bout the 05's but the 07's it every 30k for plugs
and just use champion plugs your need 16 of them

#3 ·
In my 2004 manual it says every 30,000 miles. It should be the same for the 2005 Rams. As for the brand I always use the factory style Champions

#4 ·
On the Hemis its 30,000 miles. I changed to NGK 5306 plugs. The truck seems to like them.

#7 ·
yes on the hemi you need 16 plugs. I just did my plugs at a little over 30,000. I'm pretty sure its the same on all hemi's but the 05 service manual says every 30k. I used the stock champions(Champion Traditional spark plug 570 RE14MCC4) and they cost me $1.77 each at Advanced Auto.

#8 ·
Wow! I've never heard of a V-8 using 16 plugs. I've seen some posts on here about it, but I thought it may have been a typo! lol So what's the deal with the Hemi using 16 plugs?

#9 ·
It has 16 plugs because one is for the intake stroke, and the other is for the exhaust stroke.

#10 ·
tctwg said:
It has 16 plugs because one is for the intake stroke, and the other is for the exhaust stroke.
Guess that makes sence, it's just kind of weird to me! Learn something new everyday! :D

#11 ·
Something to take in...

I change my spark plugs every 20,000 miles and have done so until this last time. I have 85,000 miles on the truck and just changed them yesterday.

The Champion RE14MCC4 plug for the 2004 5.7L calls for a gap of .045. I always gap at .044 just to give myself a little extra time before the gap opens up to much.

When I change my plugs at 20,000 miles, I usually have .047 to .049. this time, I waited 25,000 miles and I had most of my plugs between .055 and .060. HUGE GAP!!!

I have noticed my power falling off lately and my mileage going down. It was the plugs...and they were toast after 25,000 miles. While they were in good condition, the gap was just too large. I am fanatic about maintaining my vehicle and thorough in my measurements. They were gapped as they always have been when I put them in.

My point here is that even though the manual states 30,000 miles between changes, it may be better tto chnge them more often. In my case, 25,000 miles was too long to wait.

#13 ·
16 plugs and double the knuckle busting!

#14 ·
I just hit 30k and dropped my truck off a few minuts ago, and they asked if I wanted to do all the Dodge recomended services. I asked what do they recomend. One of the items was change all 16 plugs, I had not herd of a modern engine needing new plugs at 30k. So I took my manual back to work with me, and thought I would look into this a little more, since I have noticed my mileage had dropped off these past few months. Why does GM show 100,000 miles on there trucks and these Dodge motors are showing only 30k. Is it that the GM motors use platnum plugs, and if thats why, are there platnum plugs available for the Hemi?

The book on scedual B at 30,000 miles it also shows change the front, rear, and tranfer case fluids. But on schedual A at a 120,000 miles it still has not recomended changing these fluids. What gives there. Anyone have any thoughts. I typically had these fluids changed at 50k in the past on my other brands of trucks.

#15 ·
the hemi's use copper plugs. That is way it is recommended to change them every 30k. From all that I read on this site, the hemi's don't take well to the platinums.

#16 ·
Ok, I will call them back and give them the go ahead on the plugs then.

Any thoughts on the diff fluids and transfer case fluids.

#18 ·
No shizzzzt !!!!

I just got a voice mail for the service writer, so left a message to call me back with a price for just the plugs not all the other stuff. The complete 30K service by the book on schedual B was 534.95 if you add there dealer recomended items it goes up to 714.85. I was not sure what the breakdown on all that was.

#19 ·
good thing is - you don't have to pay them to do the work. Bad thing is you should do it to avoid warranty issues later on. I did all the maintenance work myself. Probably cost around $100

#20 ·
OK! I have about 30K miles on my 06 Hemi.

I am guessing it is time for some plugs?

Is changing the plugs a task and a half? I thought I read something about this long ago.

I might do it this weekend if you all think I should be replacing them now..

My Chevy S10 - Didn't need plugs or a tune up for 100K miles.. SO I wasn't even thinking plugs at his stage yet until I read this post.

#21 ·
06QuadRam said:
OK! I have about 30K miles on my 06 Hemi.

I am guessing it is time for some plugs?

Is changing the plugs a task and a half? I thought I read something about this long ago.

I might do it this weekend if you all think I should be replacing them now..

My Chevy S10 - Didn't need plugs or a tune up for 100K miles.. SO I wasn't even thinking plugs at his stage yet until I read this post.
I took the front wheel and wheel well liner off and it made doing them pretty easy and a lot more comfortable than laying across the top of the engine bay.

#22 ·
So why is it that platnum won't work with the Hemi's. I too thought it was BS when I was told I need to change the plugs at 30k, untill I got the book out, and got on the forums to further investigate. I am use to that 100K deal that GM gets with there platnum plugs.

#24 ·
My owner's manual says 30k miles as well. So I changed them at 68k just to be on the safe side. No sense in waiting for problems before doing maintenance! They looked like new plugs except for the gap being a little over .045. Being the non-conformist I am, I decided to try the Bosch Platinum +2 plugs. It took just under an hour to change them all with the proper tools handy. Even still, I looked like I just molested the cat when I was done. The scars healed though. The Bosch plugs run fine, mileage seemed to creep up .5~~ but probably would have with any new plugs. It pulls our 5th wheel as good as it ever did and other than this crappy ethanol gas we're stuck with now bringing my mileage back down, it's doing very well at 85k miles.

#25 · (Edited)
Doing mine this weekend. Went with the ngk 5306 and some Taylor 8.2mm wires. I don't think its ever been done on my truck and its got almost 60k...

#26 ·
I went to check price on some new plugs for the wife's gmc and the guy at the counter says "hey look at this" to all the other parts guys , some ridiculous price over $100 for 8. i guess thats how they go for 100k. I didn't buy 'em, i think we traded the truck not long after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.