DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

broken plastic piece under front bumper 2002 1500 what to do?

8K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  mmmhoss 
#1 ·
I have a 2002 1500 3.7L short, single cab.

I never take my truck off roading. I always try and baby my truck.
But today I drove across a very small ditch area from a private drive area to the road.

The ditch was so small, I would never think it would damage my truck in the least.

I have taken several trucks over much worse without a care, or damage.

When I got home I saw the plastic air dam type of a piece that attaches under the front bumber was broken.

I could not believe it.

I thought that it would be just as well to remove the plastic piece, but it was obvious that something was missing. It is definatley part of the truck design, and not to be removed.

I was wondering if anyone knows of the best way to deal with this situation.

I am sure it will cost plenty if I have to order a new one from dodge.

Any suggestions on what to do?

See less See more
#2 ·
You should be able to buy a used one from someone from DT that has a one they took off for a Mod.

#3 ·
Many guys remove them because they like the look without it. Mine was torn off when I bought it used, but I was able to get a used one here in the DT classified. For now you can remove the broken one and replace it later when you feel like it. The bolts/nuts that hold it on near the center of the bumper and at the very end (I think) are pretty easy to remove, but the other two near the fog lights are more difficult. However, if you carefully snap out the plastic ring around your fog lights (not the lights themselves, just the ring) or just the plastic filler panel if you do not have fog lights, it is easier to get your hand in there to remove those bolts. The piece is called an air deflector and one place to buy it is makeitmopar.com. Go to the home page and select the following:

- In the "Body Parts Search By Drill Down" area, select 2002 for the year and Dodge for the make and click the search button

- On the next page on the left side select Ram 1500 for the model

- On the next page click on the "Front bumper", then click on "Bumper and components", then click on "Air deflector". You should see the part listed for $87.00 and you can add it to the cart. Not sure how much shipping would be.

#4 ·
They also have a couple at www.rockauto.com. Go to the website and click on the big red button. After the catalog loads, click on the Part Number Search tab along the top and enter part number 55077337AD. You will then have the option of adding a "good" part for $50.00 and a "better" part for $58.00.

#5 ·
mine I ripped off 4 wheeling. Looks better wtih it on. Some say it helps direct more air to the grill.. but I haven't had any sign of temp being raised.. and I am in 122 degree summers here in Arizona.

So, I'd take it off and leave it off

#6 ·
rockauto.com

I think they're about $50 from there.

Edit: nevermind, just saw that someone already beat me to the info. Anyways, a great site to get all you need.

#7 ·
I am assuming you don't have a sport front bumper, I don't think the 3.7Ls could be bought as a sport package. But if you have the sport bumper then that plastic piece would be molded on. Then you could cut it off if you wanted to. Otherwise doing as stated above will work fine. :tup:

KB

#11 ·
I am starting to think it looks ok without it.

Now that others have condoned the action, I feel less like a cheapskate, and more like it is an ok way to go.

Upside..........next oil change should be a lot easier. I always had to wedge myself under the bumper.

And it really doesn't look so bad removed.

But it does look better with it on there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.