DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Does Your Ram Have The Infamous Steering Wheel 'clunk / Rattle' ? Fix Found....

288K views 460 replies 190 participants last post by  Billl 
#1 ·
Hey 2nd Gen guys:

I was wondering how many here have had that annoying steering wheel / column 'clunk / rattle' develop in their trucks.

My '97 Ram 4x Cummins developed it and it was totally annoying - I replaced most all the front end components and it still had the steering column clunk.

I know the guys over at the Turbodiesel site have agonized over this, and suspect that the same trouble prone column is in most 2nd gen Ram Trucks - regardless of engine configuaration.

Anyhow, I just developed a fix with a machined Nylon / Delrin bushing and would be happy to share how I did it here, or offer them, once we develop it a bit further.

It totally transformed how my Ram steers - which surprised me. I was just trying to get rid of the 'clunk' - little did I know just how much the lower column bushing failure was allowing WAY excessive play, which made the steering vague & imprecise.

Now, the truck steers with rack & pinion precision - Amazing !

When you consider this can be done at a fraction of the cost of a new column from Dodge $ 700 ea, for the same (defective) design, it only makes sense.

Anyhow, I can post pics & procedure (still doing research, don't know what cost will be - pretty cheap), but it would help to get some feedback first, so to the original question:

I was wondering how many here have had that annoying steering wheel / column 'clunk / rattle' develop in their trucks ?

If so, please give: year, engine, trans, miles and any thing else you think relevant....

Thanks guys ...I'll post more once you give some feedback......take care David B. Ram Van (& truck) Man :gr_patrio

See less See more
#80 ·
I have the same problem engine light is on, abs light brake light and speedometer doesn't work until 30 MPH, did a code scan got P0500 Vehicle Speed Sensor Malfunction and no other ones could that be the fix for my problem....can anyone help me with this i am in need to get back on the road

#81 ·
regarding the "clunk"

I would be highly interested in purchasing a kit from you. I just bought a 1996 4x4 Cummins 2500 ... and brother you are right ... it is annoying. Keep us all posted would ya?

Thanks!

#82 ·
Hey Dodgetalk friends, back to you on steering fix...thanks David

dburkhart said:
I was wondering if this new bushing is press fitted into the steering tube or some other method?

Thanks
H dburkhart & all, sorry I was away for so long....yes, it's press fit (with provided tool) into the lower end of your steering columns "outer housing/tube".

First you remove the worn stock column lower bushing parts, then the new precision Nylon bushing fits smartly into the housing, and locates the inner shaft precisely, which tightens things up - clunk or other irritating noise is eliminated, and -'added bonus' - steering column slop is reduced as far as possible.

(the included instructions give a step by step...)

If you still have steering wander after this, it's got to be either:

a) intermediate steering shaft (replace if sloppy, no adj possible)
b) sloppy steering box (which may just need adjustment...)
c) loose / worn ball joints on steering drag linkage assy (replace with stock or upgrade with Luke's link units)

and yes fish101, willus & dburkhardt, we do offer the complete repair kit as the "Rock Solid Ram Truck Steering" - it includes install tool, bushing, retainer & nice color illustrated instructions that are pretty foolproof - so it is now available - quite a few guys have improved their steering response & gotten rid of the irritating clunks & rattles - and avoided paying Dodge parts approximately
$ 900 for a new steering column which has the same problem

Please keep in mind we make them precision on a lathe custom, so it takes about 2 weeks to ship from when you order. (If ordering, please specify : manual or auto transmission)

More details here:

www.RockSolidRamTruckSteering.com

Take Care, David B "RamVan (& Truck !)Man"

#84 ·
#85 · (Edited)
RamVanMan - PM sent

For everyone else, especially those that have done the fix:

I have a 2001 2500 4x4 360/Automatic. When I grab the spring on the shaft and move the shaft, there's definitely some play, BUT it's hard to tell from the pics I've seen if the fix is what I need. If you'll look at the pic below, the movement I see is between the very outer column housing coming out of the firewall and the shaft where it comes out of that part (to the right of the the shift arm as shown in that pic, where the brown rusty part of the shaft is), shown by the red arrows. I can't tell from reading the whole thread about the fix if that it what is addressed.

Attachments

#86 ·
Blue '04 (Brandon):

If you see wiggle motion in that area you put the arrows on, the small gap between the inner & outer steering column tubes, then yes that is 'firmed up' or totally eliminated by our kit.

Reason being that the new precision bushing precisely locates the rotating inner tube (into which the bushing is fit) in proper relationship to the inner steering shaft (poking through the bushing), then the gap is properly spaced.

Does that make sense ?

It will once you do it. When you pull out the stock junk (our instructions show exactly how...), you'll be amazed, the OEM lower column bearing thingy isn't fit to be in a little girl's roller skate wheel, it's so wimpy.

I think that this, combined with your firming up your track bar with the Luke's link rebuilt joint, should cure that steering play sloppiness pretty nicely.

Also check for adjustment on the steering box, steering link joint integrity and the intermediate steering shaft smoothness (make sure it's not either sloppy loose or binding).

That's a beautiful truck, saw the pics you emailed me - very nice !

Something intriguing about a pure white truck (mine is forest green, shows all the dirt !! oh well).....maybe we'll see you in Texas sometime !

Take Care, David B

"BLESSED is the nation whose God is the LORD"

#87 ·
After looking at it again, I'm convinced that you're right. I think the slop on the inside is allowing the movement I see on the outside. I'm going to fix the known issues as mentioned (using your kit, and a Luke Link on the track bar). Then I'll see what else is left. I had a helper move the wheel back and forth, and didn't see much if any excess movement in the tie rods, but I think most or all of this is original on my truck, so it could use to be renewed anyway.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions both on the phone and here on the forum. I welcome you to Texas when you make the move!

Brandon

#88 ·
Brandon:

Yes, it is. The outer & inner tubes will only be accurately concentric if the inner bushing has integrity to maintain that rotational orbit.

Or if I was trying to be obscure I would put it that way !

Really, though, with the loose lower bushing, the inner steering shaft is making not a perfect circle, but more of an 'oval' motion, losing efficiency.

Funny how such a small thing can have such a large effect.

Especially with the loose ball / stud joint on our 4x4's trac bar --- as you suspect you have.

Gosh, just picture our trucks while we're going down the highway, you turn the wheel, and although quite a bit of 'monkey motion' happens, up & down the steering apparatus, very little of it actually results in usable steering input.

If it helps to encourage you, I've finished all the 'front end stuff' on my '97 Ram Diesel 4x4, and (living in the moutains here in So Cal), it can carve the corners on our windy mountain roads very nicely - no vagueness whatsoever in the front end, steering or suspension.

It's worth the effort you're going to. You'll get it all dialed in perfectly before you know it.

Best Regards, David

PS: Thanks for that Texas welcome ! Do you have or plan to one of those huge "deer bumpers" I see a lot of guys there have ? Just Curious....

#90 ·
back to you....thanks David

Blue '04 said:
No, no plans for Ranch Hand bumpers on my Ram. I'm a native Texan, but pretty far from a *******. :D The only change I'm planning is to add a set of OEM 17" forged aluminum wheels from an '06.
Ha Ha....yeah Brandon maybe not to many deer w of Houston where you are, eh ?

I guess I'm clueless about the cultural implications of the 'Ranch Hand Bumpers' - to me it's a practical concern.

My interest has been spurred on by the conditions - there are lots & lots of deer in East Texas (Nacogdoches area).

I also noticed what seemed like a clear majority, in the hill country w of SA, like 75% of all Rams, Fords & Chebbys had 'em.

A Ram owner sporting a Ranch Hand front bumper, told me: "Around here, you get a 'deer hit' up to twice a year, so it's just a matter of time before you pay for it either way....."

There are some really cool bumpers -Renuel is the brand that sticks in my mind - quite spendy - like $ 1800 each - but they look real class - formed & nicely welded aluminum.

Maybe someone could design one with a meat processing plant, so when you hit the deer, it cuts, guts & wraps for the freezer all in one shot !

#91 ·
RamVanMan said:
A Ram owner sporting a Ranch Hand front bumper, told me: "Around here, you get a 'deer hit' up to twice a year, so it's just a matter of time before you pay for it either way....."
In some areas, it is a bigger problem. I grew up south of Houston on the Gulf Coast, went to school in Huntsville, and now live well west of Houston (Katy). I've not only never hit a deer, but I've never even almost hit one.

As far as cultural implications, it's just a rural vs. city thing. I'm just not much of a rural guy. I don't hunt or fish, nor have I ever been on a horse. There's nothing wrong with any of that, but it's not me.

#92 ·
Ill take one my bump is awful 01 1500 5.2 120,000

#93 ·
Tracker81 said:
Ill take one my bump is awful 01 1500 5.2 120,000
Tracker 81:

You can read more & order online at:

We make 'em to precise specs so any noise originating on the lower column end quits and you'll get better steering precision.

We endeavor to ship in about 2-3 weeks, but we are closing the shop down for two weeks or so beginning this Friday.

Any received by Friday we'll attempt to ship out before closing.

Regards, David B.

#94 ·
yeah kinda noticed that one after I posted thanks for repling though Ill let you know soon

#95 ·
I have annoying "clunk" sound that just started. when I turn the wheel I hear "clunk/pop" noise. I have taken to the mechanic several times and nothing. all bushings, and ujoints have been replaced. The mechanic now say's he thinks it is the gear box? I wondering if this will help?

#96 ·
Hey RAMMAN I just ordered your bushing kit, I don't have so much of a clunk, but last summer my truck was all over the highway(I mean real bad, I could turn the wheel about 4"s in either direction before it would even turn just to have to turn it the other way to compensate). Well I changed the pitman and idler arms hoping to fix it. It helped out alot but I still had to constantly turn alittle right or alittle left just to look like I wasn't hammered, not fun (especialy when you do have acouple drinks in ya). My buddy has a 98 4x4, he had the same problem and changed the steering box,both arms, upper and lower ball joints, and inner and outer tie rod ends, and still had the same problem! I'm glad there's people like you out there to help us poor guys out. I can't wait to start driving in a straight line again. Thanks man.

#97 ·
StreetRam:

Good deal - we truly hope it helps your situation. It WILL reduce the lower steering column play, eliminate any noise that may now occur - greater steering precision is obtained.

At the time of installation, you'll want to examine & test the play of the intermediate steering shaft - the sliding joint, 'square tube' part that connects to the lower end of the steering column (where our retrofit bushing kit goes), to your steering box.

Over time & miles, they can wear & gain clearance, thus increasing steeing play markedly.

I mention this in the instructions clearly, so guys can't fail to check it.

This is one part where the OEM is the best unit.

Some guys do the Borgeson or Flaming River shaft (I did the former....), but they may discover, as I did, that those shafts are too stiff, and with just a bit of grit in that joint, they bind up terribly, which then transmits every shock & jolt between the steering box (frame mounted) and steering column (cab mounted). Bad news - tears up your steering box in short order & causes steering column wear.

Good part is, the Dodge OEM shaft is but $ 150 or so, and looks to be upgraded from the ones that come on our trucks.

So, be sure to check that intermediate steering shaft. I like to grasp it in hand, while looking over the fender to see how much movement it takes before the tires respond. If you feel significant movement before the tires respond at all, you probably have a worn unit.

[It does bear mentioning to check the steering box adjustement, too, as some of the play might be 'loose' box, too]

Thanks for the order.

Best wishes,

David B.

#99 ·
Yes, quite a few guys have reported it even below the miles you have.

Some guys had a defective column start 'clunking & rattling' at 1 year & 10 k miles, and early on (94-96 or so) Dodge would give 'em a new column under warranty. I dug up a couple of those guys.

In their case, it wasn't usage wear, of course, but rather manufacturing tolerance defect - but miles will do to our trucks the same thing.

The worst offenders are the diesel 4by4's as they're the heaviest and have the most front end flex & stress (the Cummins weighs fully double what the 318/360 does)- but the gas rigs either in 4 wd or 2 wd have very similar front steering layouts & identical columns, so eventually they manifest the same problems.

Hope this helps !

David B.
Ram Van (& Ram Truck) Man !

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.