DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

4 wheel drive acting up

3K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Audie61 
#1 ·
So I'm running into an issue on a 2500 CTD 4x4.
LAst night we had some snow/rain/hail, and the roads were getting slick -

i put the truck into 4 hi and when im on decel its giving a grinding/howling sound - sounds like a manual(truck is auto) when you use the motor to slow. 4 wheel seemed to be working - gave me the kicks and hops on sharp turns (did 3 to make sure it was engaged a parking lot) and when I was on the gas I couldn't hear any grinding.

any ideas?

#5 ·
Its hard to say as When I don't move its gone so I can't hear it out of the truck, It sounds like its more in the middle of the truck on the front end - I thought it was the passenger side and my fiance in the passenger side thought itw as more on my side. I'm thinking it was more towards the T case becuase it seemed like it was futher back then the axels. but thats a guess.

#8 ·
oh wow!I didnt know they did that on the 2500 I thought is was just us 1500's with that dumb shift knob.
I thought I saw an ad where now you will shift the truck with the same kinda deal on the new truck.

#10 ·
Does it do it in low range too?

#11 ·
It sure does. Not sure if this matters - last time I was in 4 wheel I was off roading, used 4 lo for a short steep part - to help keep the truck slowed down, but 4 hi worked just fine after that. It seems to shift in and out of both just fine,

#13 ·
Can I check the fluid levels with out doing a flush? Just as somethign to do fast to rule that out? if not what kind of fluids should I use for long tern protection? does being a 2500 vs a 1500 matter?

#14 · (Edited)
Yeah you can check the level, w/o a flush.. Unless its leaking I would think the level should be fine, but it doesn't hurt just to check.
I don't have a 4wd Ram to look at for referance anymore but there are 2 plugs on the t-case. one to drain it on the bottom and one to fill it.. These both look like round plugs that need a socket extension or allan wrench to unscrew them. I think its a 3/8 but I'm not positive on that..
On level ground,
Find the UPPER plug and unscrew it. The Fluid should be level with the bottom of the hole. You can put your finger in there and check it that way.. Using a Turkey baster (Thats what I use) you can even suck some fluid out to get more of it for analysis.

The fluid should be bright red since its Automatic transmission fluid.

When I changed the fluid in my last truck (a 1500) I used Mobil 1 synthetic ATF, the manufacturer calls for ATF+4.

I don't know though if the 1500s and 2500s are the same. So definately check for your 2500 application.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.