DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

4wd not working. im out of ideas.

4K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  dodge_ss/t 
#1 ·
ok my 4wd on my 01 1500 sport will not work and i need some ideas. when i jack it up with all 4 tires off the ground they all 4 spin. but when im stuck or in mud i get nothing from the front. on a dry road i put it in 4lo and punch it i can do a mean ass burnout and kick the back over but that just shows me the fronts not working. i know the axles engaging and so is the t case wich is new. i get a clunking noise from the front when in 4wd that is consistent with speed. so my good sir's, any ideas as two whats wrong?

#2 ·
When all 4 wheels are off the ground, there is no resistance against you're drivetrain, so if something is partially engaging/ trying to engage, it will turn the front wheels. I would chock the front wheels, lift the rear end off the ground and (carefully) put it in gear while someone watches the front driveshaft from a safe distance. I'm betting there's something wrong with the axle disconnect.

Dan

#6 ·
it didn't even move the truck. made the weird clunking grinding noise and the front shaft was moving. also the axle did engage. it makes the noise in 4wd axle engaged or not but never in 2wd. aka i removed the vacuum actuator and put it in 4 manually.

#3 ·
i'd check the shift fork on the axle tube

#4 ·
im pretty sure everything's fine with the cad. and one more thing i forgot to add the 4wd light dose come on and off when its supposed to. but ill do what DitchRam suggested and report back.

#5 ·
lil more info i forgot too. it made the weird noises when i didn't have the vacuum actuator on due to waiting for a new one to come in. so there was no way it was even trying to engage. its not the tcase seeing how it did that with two of them. new and old. i engaged the cad manually then took it for a drive with the axle still open guts showing down my driveway and back. still made the noise but was totaly engaged.

#7 ·
ok,,,the axle is engaged, and you still do not have 4wd with w load (on the ground). In other words, you have 4wd with no load and no 4wd drive with a load...

...and a clunky grinding noise when it's engaged?

Have you pulled the front diff cover yet?. Or...with the front drive shaft removed, have you tried spinning the front axles while a helper holds one wheel still. This will test the differential. If you get the clunk or grind in the front axle this way you have an internal issue in your diff.

Do you often try 4wd burnouts or engage 4wd on dry pavement?

#9 ·
hello
i have pulled the cover off and whats weird is every thing looks good. :huh: is it possible that my ring and pinion are wore out so there slipping a guess you could call it?

and never for both of your questions. the only time ive ever burned any rubber in wed was to see if the 4wd was working which it wasn't. lol

#8 ·
Yeah, I'd be pulling that diff cover. Sounds like the guts in the diff may have let go, or possibly a broken half-shaft..........

#10 ·
wonder if its possible that some splines sheered off on a hub or half shaft?

#13 ·
my bad lol

#15 ·
that may be it... i know they need it. i think its a shaft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.