DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Another 2011 w/ 4.56s!!!

19K views 96 replies 27 participants last post by  jayincali 
#1 ·
Picked my truck up from the shop today after having Nitro 4.56s installed. I have a 500-mile break-in per the manufacturer, so I haven't been able to really test them out yet; however, the shop is 65 miles away from where I live and on the drive back, my truck averaged 18.6 MPG @ 50 MPH. I drive the same route several times a month and there are several large hills that my truck ALWAYS downshifts two gears on, but today my truck didn't downshift out of overdrive one time!! I also noticed the MDS stayed on the majority of the trip home, which it never did before.

For those of you that don't know, I started with 3.55s. I'm sorry if I offend those of you that like the 3.55s, but IMO, those gears are good for nothing!! I can't believe 3.55s are even an option with the stock 20s and 33" tires. The 3.55s are bad enough with stock 265/70R17s!! Anyways, I'm so glad to be rid of those terrible gears.

The shop said the gear install went very smooth. I used master install kits on both front and rear, as well as, new inner axles seals. After the 500-mile break-in period, the shop is going to change the gear oil in both ends and make sure that everything is OK. After that I'm going to give it HELL!! :rck:

Now that my gear install is complete, I now have an open differential for sale for $150 + shipping for anyone wanting to go the same route I did.

See less See more
#9 ·
Thanks man! Now it's your turn! :rck:

Congrats! Mind if I ask what this set you back - just to see if its in the cards for me?
Gears, master install kits, used open diff., machine work to diff., inner axle seals, gear oil, lots of shipping expenses, and labor = $2400

Ok, so I have a question, if I go from 3.92 to 4.56 would that help or hurt my MPG? I take this hill coming home from work everyday and my truck always downshifts on it and bugs the hell out of me....should this be something I should be considering? I would not want to hurt my MPG but don't know a lot about gears in general.
If you're sticking with stock size tires or something close, IMO the 3.92s are good enough. If you plan on running 35s or bigger in the future, then I would definitely do 4.56s.

HEY HEY!! Glad to see the install went well. You going to do the 500 break-in rule?? Thought it was just for towing.........better safe than sorry I guess. The power is nice for sure, I cant imagine it with 35s. I bet you can light em up at will! Enjoy em and keep us posted afteer the break-in period.
Yeah, I think I'm going to do the whole 500 mile break-in. The manufacturer and my installer highly recommends it whether towing or not.

#5 ·
Ok, so I have a question, if I go from 3.92 to 4.56 would that help or hurt my MPG? I take this hill coming home from work everyday and my truck always downshifts on it and bugs the hell out of me....should this be something I should be considering? I would not want to hurt my MPG but don't know a lot about gears in general.

#6 ·
HEY HEY!! Glad to see the install went well. You going to do the 500 break-in rule?? Thought it was just for towing.........better safe than sorry I guess. The power is nice for sure, I cant imagine it with 35s. I bet you can light em up at will! Enjoy em and keep us posted afteer the break-in period.

Nitro Gears? Never heard of em. They have 4.56s for the ZF rear end?!

I need some!
No Nitro doesnt make any for the ZF axles. He had his carrier modded and used gears for the pre '11 non ZF rearends :D

#7 ·
Awesome bro!

#11 ·
Will do!

My break-in period and post break-in inspection/gear oil change will be done on Friday and then I really get to try them out. A few WOT pulls should do the trick! :D

#12 ·
Whats the name of the shop you had it done at?

#14 ·
Baertrax in Dallas. I highly recommend this shop. Josh (the owner) is really a stand up guy.

#13 ·
the hemi and 4.7 must be way diffrent when i set the cruze at 50 i get 24.5 with my chip on 91 tune with 87 gas and i have 3.55 but want to go steeper

#22 ·
Thanks. I'm near Tulsa and Dallas is quite a drive to have gears installed, but since machining is involved it might be worth the trip. I Might check with Sams offroad here in Tulsa and see if they've installed gears in these new carriers.

#23 ·
UPDATE:

I got 100 MILES more out of the first full tank of gas since having the 4.56s installed!! I knew that my MPGs would increase a little, but I didn't know it was going to go up that much!! If you are rolling 35s or bigger, 4.56s are an absolute must!!

Oh yeah.......and the difference in power delivery is INSANE!!! :rck:

#24 ·
Is 4.56 the lowest gear ratio they can do with the modified carrier or can you go 4.88s?

#25 ·
I'm not sure, but to my knowledge, no one makes a 4.88 for the front (8.0") anyways...

#27 ·
My driving is close to 50/50 city/hwy. With the 3.55s I was consistently getting 250-260 miles to a tank. The first tank with the 4.56s got me 366 miles.

#32 ·
They're badass!!

#30 ·
That mileage increase is impressive. Just to be certain, if you have a limited slip you cannot modify the carrier to get the gears to fit? You can only modify an open carrier?

#31 ·
No, you can. The metal is harder, a bit more expensive to machine, and I would have to be without my only means of transportation while they took my LSD carrier out, sent it to the machine shop, and eventually did the complete swap. (texas boys like run on sentences).

#34 ·
You also have 37's vs. his 35's.

#35 ·
Well there's also the question as to how big your fuel tank is. I'm running a 32 gal tank, obviously that would make for quite a bit of difference.

#36 ·
I've got the 26 gal.

#39 ·
With the 3:55 on my truck and the 20 I can't even spin the tires unless it is wet out. blows.... So want to upgrade.

#42 ·
Yes. The only thing that my installer found that wasn't the same, were the inner axle seals. He had ordered ones for the previous 9.25" and ended up having to go to the a dodge dealership to order the ones for the ZF 9.25". They were inexpensive though.

Will a standard mini install kit from the orginial 9.25" work with the ZF axle?
It is highly recommended that master install kits be used when doing a gear swap......regardless of mileage on the truck. To answer your question....yes.

#44 ·
Thinking......

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.