DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

rear brakes

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Rockdodger 
#1 ·
05 Dakota, have had for 4 months got it used, all has been good, last week started pouring break fluid out of the LR brake drum found that the brake shoe where it presses the piston on the cylinder, had jumped off and smashed the seal, replaced the cylinder, went for 2 days then did it again, any ideas what is causing this (you'll need to bear with me i'm automotive repair challenged)

#3 ·
I have a feeling one of the springs is broken, missing, or it was assembled incorrectly. Remove the other side and see if one side is missing something the other side has.

#4 ·
did, looks the same, but now found the right side is doing it also, not as bad tho only smashed the seal a little, just has a small leak, it's the rear shoe on each, guess i'll go get a Haynes tomorrow after i get paid, see if it will give a good diagram see if i can figure it out, don't have the cash to take it to a brake shop.
thanks for the advise,anything else you can think of let me know

#6 · (Edited)
05 Dakota brake problems

If your 05 has the 8.25 inch rear axle, you need to be aware there is a TSB out concerning the '05's and early '06's. Basically Dodge screwed up the return spring design on these. They offer an expensive repair with new shoes that have an extra spring. Far cheaper is to buy Monroe's shoes for an '06 or later truck which includes the revised springs. (Part No BX-922)). A Chilton's manual covering the '06 or later Dakotas will have an excellent description of how to install the new shoes and springs. (Note the extra spring is behind the upper part of the shoes and a bit hard to see, much less install.) Sounds like new wheel cylinders are in order too. The TSB no. is TSB 05-002-06. It doesn't apply to the 8.75 inch axle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.