DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hood scoops and lower grille mods...

8K views 27 replies 18 participants last post by  Electech99 
#1 ·
A couple of mods I've done within the last couple of days and thought I would share. Hood scoops have been drilled out and the heat shield cut to where a little more air comes in and the heat comes out when parked. Lower grille cut out just to eliminate some of the cheap plastic look and allow room for some tow hooks that are coming soon. All done with a rotary tool...

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks good!

#4 ·
That's the hardest part or that part that takes the most time anyways. The plastic likes to get heated and bunch up to make a mess. Good luck and yours looks good in the pic.

#5 ·
How did I forget! Also did my interior before the other and got rid of the silver trim that matched nothing on the truck. Went with a universal black metallic to start and see how it turned out and I like it.

Crappy pic quality...

#9 ·
Looks awesome! Ditch the little plastic piece under the bumper though!

#10 ·
Can you do a close up pic of what you did with the lower bumper grill?

#11 ·
Where is the air from the scoops going? Just dumping into the top of the hood liner? It all looks good though.

#12 ·
Even if they don't do anything, it would be nice to say it's a functional hood vs non-functional.

#14 ·
Removing the insert is very easy...just slide under there and look. You simply pop out some tabs from the loops they insert into.

I would say a dremel and a steady hand would make for a clean cut. Just use any kind of tape to mark your lines so you stay straight.

#17 ·
I have the same question as well.... Where does the air scoop channel the air into?? I looked under my hood... and the Fire blanket coveres both points where the air would come in!
at higher speeds do you have to worry about that blanket coming off hood and falling on the engine?
Just wondering??

#19 ·
It basically goes nowhere, just up into the back of the hood. The hood was a really poor design. Some will get dropped into the engine, some will go to the back of the hood and be useless. What he did - and I did the same thing - was cut open the fire blanket where the scoops roughly open. There's not that much air going in through the scoops for you to worry about the entire thing falling down.

#20 ·
Two ques. First- Ghostknife, are you planing to paint the insert white? Second-HarleysRam, what did you use on the silver trim and was there much prep work? I know they have paint made for plastics but have never used them. Thanks. I just traded my 2006 for a 2012 a few weeks ago and I am ready to start some changes.

#21 ·
Looks good, I'd like to see more pics of the entire truck! Also, I noticed you blacked out your license plate, but you forgot the registration sticker. I expanded the photo and read the plate info there.

Just kidding!

#23 ·
Paint

What type of paint did you use on the interior pieces.

Thanks

#25 ·
Since no one else mentioned it, no concern for rain water entering the scoops and saturating the fire blanket? At highway speed you could get a lot of rain water through those scoops.:YO:

#28 ·
As far as the paint, I had mine done at a body shop and they used an epoxy paint that they said would be hard to scratch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.