DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

A/C Actuator Problem

16K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  knuck45 
#1 ·
New to the forum, looks like a great place.

I've been having A/C problems related to temperature control in my 99 Ram 1500. I took my truck to the Dodge dealer and they diagnosed it as "Needs dash rolled - Actuator Defective" at an estimated cost of $985.00.

I have read all the informative threads here about the blend door actuator fix on the lower left passenger side, and the fix does not appear to be that much work, and it can be done without rolling the dash.

Is there a second actuator/door somewhere else in the a/c system that is more difficult to get at, like behind the radio?

Either way I don't feel like paying that much dough, i'm going to do the work myself.

Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
Stay away from dealer ships theyll rape you i mean it!! do it your self or go to a local repair shop

#4 · (Edited)
First, thanks for the replies.

A few months ago I turned the a/c on and it would run cool for a short time then it would get hot. When I would turn the temp selection to cold the air was always heated, even if it was air from the outside vent. Basically the heater would stay on for a day or two blowing hot air even with the temp switch at the coldest position. After a few days the vent air would be the same temp as the outside air, meaning it wasnt running across the heater coils any more.

Per the dealer I have an actuator problem. From the info I have seen there are two doors with actuators, the one with the actuator on the passenger side near the floor which I think runs the recirculating air door, and the second which I think is somewhere behind the radio which runs the temperature/air blend door--this is the one I think has the problem, but I was kind of hoping for a confirmation before I start tearing the dash apart and risking breaking old plastic interior parts.

I should mention I am not a small person and I truly hate working under the dash. :D

Edit: I just did some more troubleshooting. I disconnected the recirculating door actuator (lower passenger side) and started the truck, turned on the a/c on cold. Nice cold air, so I went for a short drive; after a minute or so I heard a "thump" like a door closing, and the air immediately blew hot. I think it must be a weak air blend door actuator, a pita to get to of course. Oh well, might as well upgrade the stereo while i'm at it.

thanks again for your help, I'll post the info once I get it fixed, might help another poor soul with the same malfunction.

#5 ·
Chris, was the actuator you replaced deep under the dash or the easy one to get to at the passenger side floor? Also, what year is your truck?

Mine is going to take a lot longer than 5 minutes.

#7 ·
Well, went out and pulled the "easy" actuator (lower left passenger side); I got the difficult screw backed out about 3/4 way and lowered the actuator motor. The crappy Dodge plastic coupling was broken and it fell out in 2 pieces.

Since I tested the actuator beforehand, i'm sure that is working properly. I think Dodge probably won't sell me the plastic coupling separately without the actuator; if not, I think I will buy one of the metal couplers from heatertreater for around $30.

Chris, thanks for helping me diagnose, I was all ready to start pulling dash panels and figured I would try the "easy" one first.

Thanks and have a great day.

#9 ·
I'm not positive but check out this thread, it starts with a guy with a '99' then later others chime in.

http://www.dodgetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212485

Also, if you check out heatertreater.net they have a fix kit for Rams; if you select Dodge they make different kits for different years, and they have a couple of decent videos of doing the job too.

#12 ·
Ordered the part from heatertreater on wednesday night, got it saturday (domestic priority mail), 1/2 hour to install and the truck a/c is fixed!

Stealership estimate = 8 hours, $985.00.

My cost, about 2 hours, $35.00. Thanks Chris and dodgetalk! :rck:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.