DodgeTalk Forum banner

What ya got?

Votes: 516 38.5%

Votes: 826 61.5%
Status
Not open for further replies.

What ya got under the hood?(318 or 360 cubic inches)

129K views 566 replies 395 participants last post by  Womack88 
#1 · (Edited)
Always wanted to know.Thanx.

#54 ·
1994 short bed single cab with the 360 ci....havent seen many of the same around anywhere

#55 ·
Silver_DodgeRam : Do you ever go wheeling?
If so, how do you get the engine bay that clean?
Mine looked like that for about a week after I bought it.

#56 ·
Thanks, and yes I do wheel, I am just a stickler for keeping things clean. Whenever I get it muddy, first thing I do when I get home is wash the truck. Dirt/water/mud actually comes off with little effort if you don't let it stay on for too long and get caked on. It's oil leaks and stuff like that that make an engine look dirty, and fortunalty I don't have any leaks yet, but I only have 70k on the truck. I usually spray it down with degreaser or simple green, let that soak in, then powerwash it down quickly (avoiding the PCM and other sensitive areas). Then I hand wipe as much of the exposed surfaces as I can reach. The reason I keep it clean is so I can tell where a leak is coming from incase one starts.

Also, keep in mind that those pictures were taken right after I did the 1.7 install, so my valve covers were brand spanking new in that picture, and everything else was cleaned up really well before hand so that I wouldn't get dirt in anything when I had the valve covers off to do the 1.7's.

#57 ·
yeah, I think part of the problem is that I have a 45 minute drive back to the house after I wheel. By then everything is baked on.

#58 ·
In all fairness, most of the trails I go on rarely have more then a few mud puddles if that. I don't go mud bogging or anything, just off-road trails up in the moutains, which are mostly rocks and dirt. So that helps to keep the truck clean too. It's not that I don't like mud, just not usually present on the trails I like to off road on. I do love the snow in the wintertime though, but again, doesn't cause a lot of dirt up in the engine compartment.

One idea that I have read several posts about is from guys who wash their truck once, then spray everything (engine, engine bay, undercarrage, etc...) with wd40 (they buy industrial size cans). Then when they go wheeling the next time, the mud sticks, but washes off with ease according to them. I've seen pics of their undercarrages, and they look like new. You should try that.

#59 ·
Now that I thinkg abou it, I have heard the same thing only using a spray bottle and some baby oil.
The WD-40 sounds like it would work too, but it's a little too flamable for my taste.
I will try the baby oil the next time I get it clean.
thanks

#60 ·
I've heard of the wd40 trick too. I was planning on trying it whenever I got around to cleaning under my truck. I'm interested to see how the baby oil would work/look.

#61 ·
I'm just thinking that
1) baby oil is cheap
2) non-flamable

if you've got everthing sprayed down with WD-40, it wouldn't take much of a wire leaking to cause a fire. I DO carry a fire extinguisher, but would be completely happy if I never have to use it.

I'm interested to see how the baby oil would work/look.
why? it would get sprayed off when the truck gets cleaned.

#62 ·
chizzle1 said:
why? it would get sprayed off when the truck gets cleaned.
I meant as like a dressing for the undercarriage. Mine looks horrendous and I thought it might shine it up a little after I clean it. Maybe it won't, I dunno.

#65 ·
97' with the 5-speed NVG-3500, powered by the 318, short box, extended cab, best investment i ever made

#67 ·
360 here. Only 88k miles, runs great. Planning a tune up for it. Getting 12.5mpg on my commute, which is all country roads, rolling hills, and some stop-and-go. Could be better, could be worse. 360's a d@mn good engine though.

#71 ·
i'll get in here...

5.9 360 AT

#74 ·
360 for me

#76 ·
4-speed NP435 braced 9.25 with Detroit Locker and Randys Alloy axles, Rancho/Direct Connection Baja kit,(discontinued after 94?), 10 Rancho5000s chrome moly spreader bar Rancho leafs,Borgeson steering shaft, MSD6al Ign,Billet MSD Distributor,8.5 SC wires, optima yellow top,PPG Zolotone Bed Coated,33x12.5x15 BFG a/ts,mechanical winch(HI-LIFT),5ton tow hooks all four corners. Next mod DYNATRAC super44Dana with ox-locker for the front end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.