DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

fuel pressure specs.

41K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  RamThis 
#1 ·
Does Anyone Know What The Fuel Pressure Specs. Are For A 1998 Dodge Ram 4x4 (318)? Or Why Do I Need To Wait For The Fuel Pump For A Second For It To Start? (with Only A Few Cranks),other Wise It Cranks Over Too Much Before It Fires.

#2 ·
At idle the fuel pressure should be 49 psi ± 5 psi

#3 ·
Probably a bad regulator on top of the fuel sending unit, leaking off all the pressure after shutoff. Very common problem causing long cranking times to allow the pump to build pressure back again.

#5 ·
That's what I was talking about. If the regulator is bad, it wont hold pressure, after shutoff, or after its initial pressure up before you start to crank. A pressure guage will confirm this real quick though.

#6 ·
Yep, and the problem is that no matter what is wrong, all these components are together and troublesome to replace. I think it was a stupid design to put all the fuel components in the fuel tank which is not very accessible. The good thing is he has a 98, which I think has a fuel pressure port on the fuel rails. My 97 has none, so I have no idea how mine would be tested for fuel pressure if I had a similar problem.

#7 ·
Ya it should have a test port on the fuel rail. The reason fuel pumps are in the tank now is they "say" its more efficient to push then pull. Sucks when things go wrong and you have to drop the tank, but luckily its not a common problem.

#10 ·
Only when in use. Unless you have a guage hooked up to the T part it's just an opening in the line lol. Im sure Napa or the like would have something. I just liked getting it off the Matco truck because I can do weekly payments and get top end tools. Though it's only 1 of 2 things I've ever bought off matco the rest of my stuff is all Snap-On.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.